Brewer Fanatic

Is this Weeks breakout year?

nate82
I kinda had the sense that Yost didn't have much in the way of positive rapport with some of the players, Weeks and Hall among them. I don't know if I can back it up, but Yost seemed to get those guys tense, maybe even looking over their shoulder a bit, which to me is exactly the opposite of what Weeks in particular needed. I don't have the same ability to watch the games as some of you, so maybe others can comment on whether they have that impression as well. Who knows, it might be that Weeks has responded positively to some combination of Randolph, Macha, and Sveum, or it could just be an illusion.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Weeks is really confusing me at this point. His AVG is up which is good, but his BB is down so his OBP is actually terrible this year which is bad. His defense has much improved which is good. His ISO is also up which is good but he has 1 SB and 2 CS which is bad.

It is like bizarro Weeks came to the team this year. Every strength he had in the past is gone to the point that it is a weakness now and all of his weaknesses have gone to average level.

He has walked 4 times in the past 8 games, which is a good sign. Hopefully he keeps it up. I don't see any reason why he wouldn't given his track record.

Do Rickie and Corey even have the green light this year? I thought I heard they are only running if they have a good time on the pitcher, which they might wanna reconsider, as Corey is only 2/5 as well. Probably just a bit of variance though, as those two have always been efficient base stealers.

If he continues to hit the ball as hard as he has so far, he probably won't have a problem batting right around .300. It seems like he has been robbed about once a game lately.

If Rickie hits a hard line drive into play instead of swinging and missing or fouling off, it will lead to more pitches and a greater chance of a walk. I think his success at hitting ropes into play is what is causing the decrease in walks.

The poster previously known as Robin19, now @RFCoder

EA Sports...It's in the game...until we arbitrarily decide to shut off the server.

I think you posted that backwards... the more balls he puts in play the less opportunity he has to walk? Or am I not understanding what you mean?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Yeah, Rickie has not only been hitting the ball, but hitting it really hard on a relatively consistent basis. I certainly don't believe his BB skill has vanished, but it does apppear that the direction he's getting from the coaches is to worry less about about being a leadoff hitter & just worry about being a hitter. I'm of the belief that the walks will come, and it's not like Rickie hasn't been working the count & just hacking at the first fastball he sees.
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think he looks better at the plate this year and the same in the field. I think the reason it seems like he is having a better year than he actually has is because of his RISP stats which are very good so he seems like a "clutch" player so far this year: 7/18 (.389), 10 RBI.

Rickie went to right/right center in his early at bats. That forced the Pirates to start banging the inside part of the plate. Rickie recognizes middle in pitches pretty well and has the bat speed to make opponents pay. To me, that is an indication that he is making adjustments. Braun might not want to let Rickie sit in that 3 hole to long.:-) Has anyone noticed Rickie's bat? It appears longer (plate coverage) and that "roll of tape" he used to put on the knob of his bat (counterbalance) seems to be reduced a great deal. Lastly, Rickie is going back on pop fly balls with much more confidence. IF he keeps it up, I can say 2009 is FINALLY the year he joins the other guys (Braun, Fielder, et al).

Did anyone else chuckle when BA yelled "RICKIE WEEKS IS HAVING THE BEST GAME OF HIS CAREER!" after he made a nice play in the bottom of the ninth today? That's just great television.
It gave me a laugh as well. Both Brian and Bill were drooling over Rickie the rest of the game after he hit the go ahead homer. It sure will be good timing for Rickie to breakout this year, seeing a huge payday come his way. I just hope he can produce down the stretch, and not just get paid on his April-August performance (i.e. Ben Sheets).

I wish we had a real leadoff hitter so Rickie could bat 2nd, 5th or 6th. But we just don't have that option right now.
It's early but the 2009 numbers definitely don't put Rickie at leadoff either. I say we ride Corey's newfound patience in the 1-hole as long as he's walking 13 times a month. Either way, we have options, and unlike Yost I think that Macha can be trusted with multiple choices http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Yesterday's homer was why everyone fell in love with Rickie in 2005...insanely quick wrists.

He's looking more like the player he could be, he's on track to hit for very good power numbers. Instead of worrying about walking he actually attacking good pitches. Thus far I like what I see... I'm one of the few that never liked him leading off, I hope he continues to aggressively attack strikes. His bat speed is phenomenal, there was just no way he was a 10 HR a year guy with those kind of natural gifts.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Did you guys see his batting average with runners in scoring position so far this year? Ruthian! Need to move him down in the order. Also, Weeks has been hitting to right, which is a great sign. As for the power surge, he has always had the potential. Pretty soon, though, the opposition will quit throwing him fastballs, and go back to the low and away slider.

I think Hart probably should stay leadoff or batting 2nd, I know last year he seemed to think taking a walk was a bad thing but in those spots it reaffirms that his job IS to get on base first. Everyone's job is to get on base first, drive in runs second(yes even the middle of the order). If you turn the lineup over and get a lot on base you will score a lot of runs no matter what.

Hart last year looked like he was relying on a combination of Bill Schroeder and Ned Yost hitting "adivce" to be aggressive.

By the way am I the only one who finds it hilarious that Bill "You've got to expand the zone and Its too close to take with 2 strikes" Schroeder is praising Fielder's patience with men on? The best part is Schroeder is acting like this is something new for Fielder. Bill, Fielder's OBP last year with RISP was .400 despite hitting only .261. With men on its was .410. Yes part of that was IBBs, but its not like Fielder was ever a hacker.

So when do the Brewers start looking at possibly extending Weeks the way he's going? Or do folks think the team has cheap options in AAA that should put up similar production in a year or so?

I can't believe I'm bringing this up...if you had asked me this off-season, I would have assumed they would likely let him walk after next season. Now I'm not so sure, the way he's been playing.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

If Weeks starting playing more towards his potential they could think about an extension, but it would depend on where they see Lawrie ending up. 2B, 3B, OF... whatever.

- Plato

- Plato

Rickie recognizes middle in pitches pretty well and has the bat speed to make opponents pay.

I just wanted to comment on this relative to Rickie's HR swing last night. That is why people have been gushing about the guy for years now... even through his struggles. Rickie's abilities at the plate really (imo) are second to none. The bat speed on that HR was just jaw-dropping.

I remember Braun commenting last season how Weeks was the 'one Brewers player to watch', and Ryan's justification for that was a comment to the effect of 'he has no holes in his swing'... I apologize, as I can't recall what article that was from -- otherwise I'd link to it.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I think that Weeks is the one infielder we might be able to sign to a team friendly contract. On the other hand, if Lawrie can play a decent 2B, he should be ready about the same time Weeks hits free agency. Still, until Weeks starts walking again, his batting stats are going to look poor like they do now.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived