Brewer Fanatic

Top five prospects you want to succeed in 09

paul253

I know, we all want all of the prospects to succeed, but as I was going through the minor league stats this afternoon, I noticed a few players who I was really hoping would have good 2009 seasons to further their prospect status. Heres my top 5

1) Cody Scarpetta - With the lack of top pitching prospects I would be really nice to see a few more guys establish themselves so we don't have continue to sign guys like Jeff Suppan and Braden Looper to be successful.

2) Brent Brewer - I was really down on him earlier but he had a pretty good year last year and I would love to see him build on it.

3) Yohannis Perez - Never really done much but he's off to a good start so far in Huntsville. Adding him to the prospect list would definitely be a bonus.

4) Jake Odorizzi - See number 1

5) Brett Lawrie - A lot of hype and if he can live up to it, he would continue the trend of home grown stars.

Rogers - because I feel like he has worked extremely hard to get back on the mound

Peralta - because with a good year he could be one of our top prospects

Lawrie - with all the hype I would love to see him live up to them

Odorizzi - he has great talent, great make up and I would love to see him in A ball at some point

Fredrickson - he has a great arm and if he figures out how to throw strikes he could be dangerous.

Obviously heavy on pitching because we need to see some developed. I actually we have some really high upside pitchers and I could have easily thrown Scarpetta, Braddock, Nieves (even Lintz) and others on this list

1. Jeffress

2. Rogers

3. Lawrie

4. Gillespie (Always has been a favorite prospect of mine, just needs to get healthy.)

5. Odorizzi

Special Consideration: Mike Jones (I've really been hoping to see him overcome all this crap and just stay healthy. Was offered his release but wanted to pitch. I can only hope but the best for Mike.)

I'm obviously hoping that everyone has a great year but these are my 5.

Jones and Rogers you definitely have to root for. I don't know where their velocity stands, but just to have them both pitch an entire year and move up a level or two would be huge. I actually wouldn't mind seeing Jones in the bullpen right now. Rogers, maybe eventually, but give him one last shot to start. They both remind me a lot of Brad Nelson. It seems like they've been in the organization forever, and I would love to see them make it to the Show in Milwaukee.

There's not way I can legitimately make a list like this because I really want everyone to succeed so I guess I'll drop a sentimental favorite or 2 and go off of need.

1. Jeffress

2. Rogers

3. Braddock

4. Salome

5. Trejo

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Jeffress

Rogers

Braddock

Odorizzi

ScarpettaPeraltaFredericksonLintz

And I'm really curious to see how Dillard does in AAA and if he gets a shot as call-up

Formerly JohnStumpyPepys

I'll avoid a list since I'm so uninformed about our system, but...

Fredrickson - he has a great arm and if he figures out how to throw strikes he could be dangerous.

Hopefully his 3 BB/7 K performance in his (5 IP) '09 debut is a good sign.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Jeffress - we need an infusion of pitching help from the minors

Salome - with Kendall presumably gone, we need a catcher next year

Lucroy - if both Salome and Lucroy develop we have excellent depth to trade for other needs

Escobar - prove 2008 in AA wasn't a fluke, gives us the ability to trade JJ for other needs

Lawrie - but not succeed so fast that I don't get to see him play in Appleton

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Every time I see someone else's list I want to add another player. However 2 players that I really think the Brewers need to have good seasons are Salome and Cain. With Kendall and Cameron's contracts up at the end of the year, it would be very convenient to be able to plug in low cost, high ceiling prospects to take over rather than having to find a one year stop gap. We could trim close to $15 million off the payroll by replacing Cameron and Kendall with Cain and Salome next year, and that money would go a long way to helping sign another pitcher.

Finally, Frederickson....how great would he be if he can get those walks under control?

Braddock: And in this corner, the Southy Slinger, The Punchout Kid, the Sultan of the Swing-and-Miss....

Lawrie: It's not as if I think his ceiling is that high... Just Rogers Hornsby.

Odorizzi: Phil Hughes-type.

Brewer: This is the year I tell you

Omar Aguilar: With Pena jettisoned, he is the heir to the illustrious crown of "Best Brewer Relief Prospect" which brings us to....

The hidden track at the end.

Jeffress: He's going to be a major league pitcher. But I would rather he doesn't do it while wearing the moniker seen above. His arm is a registered lethal weapon.

Lucroy--hope he continues to improve defensively

Gamel--starts doing everything right and really makes the defense leap into averageness

Cain--what choice do the Brewers have next year

Jefferess--they've got to have another starter option next year

Dillard--find himself as a starter, we need a sixth one

I'll just list the top 5 guys I look for in the box score everyday first. Not necessarliy because they are great prospects but for whatever reason they have become my favorites.

Lucroy

Gindl

Wooten

Rogers

Lawrie

and honorable mention to Scrapetta because of his strikeout potential

1. Mat Gamel - Having him succeed gives the Brewers options to get pitching help.

2. Cole Gillespie - If he can break out, the Brewers can trade Hart for pitching.

3. Taylor Green - Could be the Brewers #2 hitter for a decade.

4. Chris Cody - If he breaks out, it would help the rotation.

5. Tim Dillard - If his return to starting is a success, he can also take a rotation spot which = NO MORE SUPPAN!

Mark Rogers - Long long road for the still youngster. Hope he gets it on track. Would love for this to turn into a first round success.

Brad Nelson - Up and down and back up. I'd love for him to be a starter in Milwaukee. I to see guys who have toiled in the system for awhile succeed.

Evan Frederickson - With an arm like his, the sky is the limit. Here's hoping he makes the jump in control and that velocity comes back.

Angel Salome - This guy keeps producing even though most people count him out.

Zach Braddock - It always seemed like I was following this guys starts more then others and have developed a bit of a following. Never have too many lefties.

“I'm a beast, I am, and a Badger what's more. We don't change. We hold on."  C.S. Lewis

Angel Salome - This guy keeps producing even though most people count him out.

To be fair, his offense isn't what people 'count him out' for. There's no doubt that he will be a strong offensive catcher... as long as he can stick there defensively.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Triple A

1. Mat Gamel- love his batting style, approach, and the fact he is a lefty is awesome. Just need that glove and arm to come around so the Crew and have a solid 3B

2. Alcides Escobar- defensive is well above average for a major league shortstop. He is faster than JJ. Hopefully his bat gets MLB ready soon and his average is above .300 in AAA

3.Angel Salome- need a catcher for the future hopefully his defensive improves and his stick does too.

4. Nick Green- hopefully improves to help the pitching stuff out this year

5. Sam Nerron/ Chase Wright- Would like to see another lefty pitcher in the rotation

Double A

1. Jeremy Jeffress- Would love to see his control improve and hopefully he has a great season and is up in a year and a half.

2. Omar Aguilar- Hopefully the future closer for the Brewers, cause the team needs to solidify that spot.

3. Yohannis Perez- I think he could be a solid 2B, he is a little older but could come around. Is tearing up right now, hopefully it continues.

4. Lorenzo Cain- could be the future CF for the Brewers, want to see him succeed offensively

5. Chris Cody- could be a nice addition to the team has good control and great efficiency

Single A

1. Mark Rogers- drafted so high, hopefully he can pull through and give a full season

2. Brent Brewer- gifted athletically, could play any position on the field. Would love to see that bat come around

3. Brett Lawrie- would like for him to find a spot on the field, shows his versatility. Want to see how he handles minor league

4. Efrain Nieves- nice lefty with a nice k:BB ration (126:38 so 3.3:1)

5. Evan Anundensen- having a great start, lets see if it continues

To be fair, his offense isn't what people 'count him out' for. There's no doubt that he will be a strong offensive catcher... as long as he can stick there defensively.

To also be fair, there are some that think (I think on bf.net not positive though) that he's too small to keep producing with the bat. I know I've heard/seen 'excuses' as to why Salome raked in AA. Just take a look at last year's team in AA and the numbers put up. It honestly has to be one of the best offensive teams the Brewers have ever had in AA...that's why some thing stats were inflated -- even Gamel's in some circles. I know for sure that Gamel and Salome are for real. I have more doubts about Escobar with the bat than the other two.

Archived