Brewer Fanatic

Any Card and Dice baseball gamers still?

DuWayne Steurer
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

SO......is there anyone out there that still (or at least in the past) plays/played any decent baseball boardgames? Strat-o-matic, Pursue the Pennant, etc, etc. C'mon, you can admit it, it's not that bad!

Way back in the day, after his unreal season in El Paso in '85, I mocked up a BJ Robideaux on a blank in anticipation of the awesomeness to come. My brother and I played a full season with the Brew Crew, and BJR had one monster season. Too bad it was nothing but fiction.

No to the cards and dice. . .

But I do play APBA computer baseball in a league, as well as computer Strat-O-Matic solo play.

Good stuff.

The APBA league has 4 guys and been going since 1986, and I started doing Strat replays this past winter. I started with the 1900 season, and am picking a team to play out the whole season. I took the '00 Pirates to the pennant, and fell just short with the '01 Dodgers.

It just gives you a different perspective on the merits of the era and its players.

Nerdy? Perhaps, though I suspect this board is generally sympathetic to nerds and our obsessions.

I used to play Strat-O-Matic all the time as a kid (late 70's). I think I only had 4 teams (A's, Yankees, Giants, & Brewers).

Four or Five years ago, I introduced my son to it. He enjoys it. My mom purchased the game for him with all the teams and has done so ever since (with the exception of this year). We play occasionally, but not as much as I would like. It's a little time consuming and I don't have as much time as I use to. My son came up with the idea this year of doing a "fantasy draft" before the 2009 season. Then, next year he wants to get the entire set again and play against each other just using the teams we drafted.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

A month or so ago, in an effort to take my son's attention away from Pokemon, I asked my brother about his extra Strat game and he agreed to get it over to me. He also included a bunch of cards he had purchased or had from his many years of playing Strat. We were finally able to connect over Easter.

Since the time I suggested Strat to my son, though, we were introduced to Topps Attax. It's an extremely simple game that can be played in literally a couple of minutes, but it has at least some strategy involved. I have a feeling the simple "battle"-type Attax game will reign supreme over a somewhat complicated (at least for a nine year old) Strat game for quite some time.

Either way: mission accomplished. the Pokemon cards are gathering dust in his closet!

Pursue the Pennant for me. I played that game since it's inception in 1984 or so. I know that I replayed the 1987 season. And then, the PITCH League, our gaming league, exists because of PTP since 1989.

We don't use the board games any more, not since about 2001. It just became too difficult to play the games and tabulate all the statistics. I loved doing it--the stats--but it just became too weary and took too long to complete a season. Now we use Diamond Mind Baseball computer simulation, which is based on the PTP game. We love it and can play our season with ease. We do still order a card set, from Triple Play Baseball, to have tangible "cards" to use during play. It helps to keep records of players with limitations (i.e. at-bats vs. Left-handed pitchers, etc.)

The only "problem" is our league members are starting to have families and it pushes back the seasons more and more. For instance, right now we are playing our "PITCH League Tournament" to determine our champion. Unfortunately, it's for the 2008 season. Hopefully, I'll be changing my signature again in a few weeks.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I just got a bunch of MLB showdown cards for Christmas on ebay. Wish they still made it. I'd love to have YoGa in my lineup. Also still play the old Earl Weaver Baseball computer game. Super nerdy.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

When I blew my elbow, I was going to be down for a year (turned out to be 2 years, I had TJ surgery), but I needed SOMETHING to do.

I ordered the 1930 season of strat cards, and yes, I played (with some help), the entire season for all 16 teams.

At times it was tedious, especially near the end when I had say, the Red Sox playing the Browns, and the A's ran away with the AL. NL was better, with the Giants, "Robins", Cards and Cubs in it right to the last week.

Archived