Brewer Fanatic

Suppan's next start pushed back

PrinceEatMeat

You have to face the fact that we're stuck with him. Nobody else wants him at that $, and even if he's moved out of the rotation, the first injury to one of the others means he'll be back.

Just deal with him for 2 more seasons and in 2011 maybe we can have another "going for it" year with actual talent in the rotation.

Thanks for the link. Per the probables on ESPN, that means that Gallardo will be going up against Santana on Saturday and Soup will match up against Pelfrey on Sunday.

As far we know now, this doesn't mean much, but we can see how this compares to some thoughts that have been posted here recently about how Macha was positioning Suppan. By going against Pelfrey instead of Johan, Suppan is no longer facing the ace of the other team, meaning that he isn't being sacrificed against a better pitcher in some grand strategy. It also doesn't look like anyone's start is being skipped, as some people feared would happen.

Just deal with him for 2 more seasons and in 2011 maybe we can have another "going for it" year with actual talent in the rotation.

This seems unduly pessimistic. I think the 2009 rotation has actual talent and this team is going for it. The Brewers sold a whole mess of tickets, and their biggest signing was Hoffman. They could have chosen to cash in on sales and not sign Hoffman or Looper.

Thanks for the link. Per the probables on ESPN, that means that Gallardo will be going up against Santana on Saturday and Soup will match up against Pelfrey on Sunday.

As far we know now, this doesn't mean much, but we can see how this compares to some thoughts that have been posted here recently about how Macha was positioning Suppan. By going against Pelfrey instead of Johan, Suppan is no longer facing the ace of the other team, meaning that he isn't being sacrificed against a better pitcher in some grand strategy. It also doesn't look like anyone's start is being skipped, as some people feared would happen.

Yeah, this makes me think it really was about "pressure," which is still baffling to me when you're talking about a guy who started a playoff game last year. Yo knows who he is and what's expected of him this year. Frustrating.

I think this move is going to backfire. No matter who we pitch against Santana we're probably going to lose. Now we pitch Suppan in a game we'd have a decent chance of winning in a Gallardo/Pelfrey matchup, but with Suppan we're screwed.

Ugh....with the possibility of getting swept by Cincy tomorrow, then heading to NY where we'll be lucky to win 1, this is setting up to get ugly really fast.

From what I heard in pre-game and reading brewers.com, it gives Suppan an extra bullpen session to work on throwing more than 50% of his pitches for strikes. I don't really think it will hurt anything, and maybe that extra bullpen session WILL help Suppan. Plus it will give the bullpen a little bit of extra rest past the off day hopefully, in the good possibility that Suppan doesn't make it into the 5th inning.

I like it personally, the Mets have an overrated offense so I think Gallardo keeps us in the game vs Santana and Pelfrey is not a good pitcher in general and is struggling now so maybe Suppan keeps us in that game.

We just gotta hope and pray that Soup gets his control back with the extra bullpen session. Then we also need to hope that Gallardo throws a gem against Santana. Otherwise this makes no difference. I was hoping that they'd just skip him, but oh well I guess.
Feel free to follow me on twitter https://twitter.com/#!/ItsFunkeFresh

This is exactly why the Brewers' pitching is far from being decent - last year we'd be talking about bumping back Dave Bush to face Pelfrey, and have Sabathia or Sheets go on regular rest against Santana....now we're talking about lining up our best starter (who at this point profiles as a #2-3 until he gets some more experience) against Santana and push back a guy that currently looks like batting practice to face Pelfrey (a pitcher that normally doesn't have the on-paper advantage against an opposing starter).

who at this point profiles as a #2-3 until he gets some more experience

I disagree, everything Gallardo has done in the majors and minors profiles him as a #1. I won't keep posting about this since it gets old but you guys are just making way too much out of a small sample of games. Better rotations than ours have struggled just as much as ours has this year, this is baseball in April, it is highly random.

Today's outcome was pretty much a worst case scenario. It was exactly the reason the team should have avoided matching up Gallardo against Santana. Now, Gallardo's shutout effort has been wasted. Against almost any other pitcher, we probably win that game...

Today's outcome was pretty much a worst case scenario. It was exactly the reason the team should have avoided matching up Gallardo against Santana. Now, Gallardo's shutout effort has been wasted. Against almost any other pitcher, we probably win that game...

I've seen no evidence that suggests different pitching match ups result in a different number of expected wins. Quite the opposite, in fact. The brewers would have either had worse odds of winning today or tomorrow. It doesn't matter.

rluzinski wrote:
I've seen no evidence that suggests different pitching match ups result in a different number of expected wins. Quite the opposite, in fact. The brewers would have either had worse odds of winning today or tomorrow. It doesn't matter.
The problem is that in this scenario we have bad odds of winning either game with the pitching match-ups the way they were set. Would you rather have a 35% chance of winning each game or a 5% chance of winning one game and a 75% chance of winning the other?

Would you rather have a 35% chance of winning each game or a 5% chance of winning one game and a 75% chance of winning the other?

But would those be the true odds, or would it be, say, a choice between a 35% chance of winning each versus a 5% chance at one and a 65% chance at the other? Both of which would add up to 0.7 expected wins for the two games.

Archived