Brewer Fanatic

New Power 50, 4/15/09: it's up!

And That

I hate these head's ups. I was doing fine without a top 50. Now I'm going to be checking back all day and thinking about it and then its going to get delayed and so I'm thinking about it the next day, and on and on. Just put it out there when it's ready.

Okay, rant over.

Now let's do our top players

1 Gamel - after the slide last season, had to prove the first half wasnt a fluke and has done so. Still needs work with the glove.

2 Escobar

3 Jeffress - the Brewers are hard up for pitching prospects, so he needs to be here whether or not he deserves it

4 Lawrie - I agree with BA on this one. Has a proven bat and looks like the rest of tools are solid.. might even deserve #3

5 Salome

6 Lucroy

7 Green

3 Jeffress - the Brewers are hard up for pitching prospects, so he needs to be here whether or not he deserves it

I agree that he should be third, but I don't think the organization's positional needs should have anything to do with prospect rankings.

How about Carlos Corporan getting in the top 50 for once? He's made it through every level in the organization. He had a solid showing in major league camp. He helped made Lou Palimassano expendable. He's still only 25. Yet I don't remember him ever making this list despite his outlasting dozens of guys (including catchers) who have.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
How about Carlos Corporan getting in the top 50 for once? He's made it through every level in the organization. He had a solid showing in major league camp. He helped made Lou Palimassano expendable. He's still only 25. Yet I don't remember him ever making this list despite his outlasting dozens of guys (including catchers) who have.
You'll be disappointed, but you make a wonderful point. I really wanted to pull the trigger and push him into my personal P50 list this time out. Every pitcher we've seen quoted on Carlos raves about throwing to him. If Mike Rivera went down (or Jason Kendall for that matter), the Brewers would probably feel better short-term about Carlos on the 25-man rather than Angel Salome. He's not an embarassment at the plate, either. In fact, I really thought a team might have taken a flyer on him in the last Rule 5. They may just do that next December.

Good call.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
It's pretty hard to justify putting Rigo Almonte ahead of any of those guys based on eight AZL innings at age 21.

Sometimes you have to weigh in roster placement -- the Brewers saw fit to have him skip both Helena and Wisconsin. I'd say that qualifies as bonus points in Almonte's book.

Poor Dennis... off again. I'm with Battlekow, I kind of like Wheeler as well.

Excellent work as always gentlemen, I'm glad I'm not only one that had silly thoughts about Komatsu, I've supported a Komatsu location for years.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Agreed.

I hate the heads up.

I waste half of my day checking Brewerfan.net to see when the update is posted. (Which always seems to be a few hours late) I think Toby is just trying to drive extra traffic to the website!

Just a reminder for folks who aren't aware: If you go to brewerfan.net and create an account (not a yuku account) you have the option of getting email notifications for stuff like P50 updates, transactions, etc. Take advantage of it!

Koshansky is like brendan katin, but a much, much better hitter...

i've seen carlos corporan play lots of times and he's never impressed me...you may be right about him going to the majors at some point, but i've always viewed him as 5t-6th on the minor league depth chart...i dunno...maybe he's more like 3rd or 4th at this point, but he just doesn't set the prospect alarm off..

Sometimes you have to weigh in roster placement -- the Brewers saw fit to have him skip both Helena and Wisconsin. I'd say that qualifies as bonus points in Almonte's book.
When they're bumped beyond what you'd expect given their age (Edgar Trejo), sure, that's a vote of confidence. Moving Almonte to A+ ball at age 22 is simply putting him where he needs to be.

How about Carlos Corporan getting in the top 50 for once?

I am proud to say I put him at #43 on my personal Power 50. Not quite enough to get him in the official one... He's a great defensive worker. If his bat can hold up, he might have a career as a backup. Then again, that's true of about 20 AAA catchers.

Poor Dennis... off again. I'm with Battlekow, I kind of like Wheeler as well.

Dennis didn't make the Appleton roster... that's a letdown. He's only 20. It's not the end of the world. I think he'll see some time in Appleton this year. Depending on the development of Arias, Garcia, Abreu, McPherson and Barrini (plus whoever is drafted), they might have to push him to Appleton just to clear some room.

Koshansky is like brendan katin, but a much, much better hitter...

Koshansky has had mostly borderline MLEs and he'll be 27 by the end of May. He walks some, but not at a rate where it would translate really well to MLB. He's good AAA depth, but I wouldn't call him a prospect at this point. Maybe if he tears up the PCL whilst his home park is in Nashville.

Moving Almonte to A+ ball at age 22 is simply putting him where he needs to be.

I think part of it is fascination with the (mostly) unknown. The guy puts up remarkable stats out of nowhere last year, and is promoted suddenly to Brevard. Skipping two levels to class A+ rarely happens. I'm struggling to think of the last time that it did at the beginning of the season. While he may be there at the right age, the experience wouldn't necessarily warrent the promotion.

I would just like to be the first to mention how I love the "T-shirt" reference in your sig. Since that episode, my nice lady friend and I must've said that phrase a hundred times. Amazing how much we hear everyday that would make a great t-shirt.

Okay, carry on. Sorry for the interruption.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I see Brae Wright was dropped off the P50, just due to injury. Was it a serious enough injury that he may not recover completely? Seemed like Mark Rogers was on the P50 for quite a while even being injured (yes, higher ceiling). I'm just surprised he dropped completely off hte list.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Rogers finally dropped off the list after June last year and was off for the rest of 2008.

Wright will be 26 in November (the oldest eligible age for P50 entries), and Rogers just turned 23 in January.

It would be very cool to have Brae return to the list next spring, but the factors just mentioned along with Rogers' 40-man status and perceived (wishful) ceiling make the comparison a bit uneven.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor
I wasn't trying to directly compare the two, as Roger's ceiling is obviously higher. I was just surprised that he dropped from #27 to completely off the list entirely. Seemed to me that being 26 next summer and most likely 100% recovered from TJ surgery and in AAA, that he would still be a 30-40 list prospect...

Archived