Brewer Fanatic

The Mat Gamel watch

• Replies 248
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bill Hall is playing well, and there's no point in calling up Gamel to have him mostly ride the bench.

Hall is still hitting LHPs much better than RHPs. Fortunately Counsell is hitting the ball pretty well right now as well, and the Brewers are fourth in the NL in runs scored. I've softened on my stance of calling Gamel up because as others have noted they don't "need" him right now.

However, if Hall or Counsell (and the two really need to be connected since Hall really struggles against RHPs) starts to slump, and Gamel is still swinging a hot stick, the call needs to be made.

Is he defense getting any better down in Nashville?

I believe it is. It's foot work and mental things. There's nothing about Gamel the athlete that 'can't do it'. I really, really think Money should be in Milwaukee in some shape or form next year. I think he could help Rickie a ton. I know Rickie isn't as bad as he once was, but he still makes mistakes. Money seems to be able to work with these guys very well. I guess maybe Nashville will be the best spot for him, but the Brewers could use more guys like Money in the organizaiton. I also think Mat needs a lot of credit. I know he works really hard and he wants to be at 3B and seems to put in the time it will take to correct his issues. He's not perfect, but IMO he's made some nice strides.

However, if Hall or Counsell (and the two really need to be connected since Hall really struggles against RHPs) starts to slump, and Gamel is still swinging a hot stick, the call needs to be made.

I don't disagree. I just think if Mat is called up he needs to be the 'guy' at 3B and not split time.

There's a big difference playing an MLB catcher at 1B and playing a newly called up AAA 3B at 1B, though. I think this notion that Gamel will be transitioned to 1B is completely fan generated at this point.
Yeah, the difference is the AAA 3B is playing the infield daily. You can say with a straight face that Mike Rivera is better suited to play first base than Mat Gamel? If were deciding that our extra batter for interleague play is going to be Gamel then the defense is better with Gamel at first and Prince DHing. It's not a hard transition for a 3B, I don't get why people think it would be so tough for him.

There's no way Gamel as a rookie will be able to even remotely come close to Hall's numbers versus LHP (.357/.501 career). If Billy is healthy and still on the team, it will be a platoon, be it '09 or '10.

Contenders don't hand a rookie a job just to do so when a better option is available. Versus southpaws, Hall is the guy.

Hall's splits are still quite extreme, but his numbers have improved thus far over last year. If he cam sustain this, his overall numbers mixed with his defense should mean he has value to the team

There's no way Gamel as a rookie will be able to even remotely come close to Hall's numbers versus LHP (.357/.501 career). If Billy is healthy and still on the team, it will be a platoon, be it '09 or '10.

Contenders don't hand a rookie a job just to do so when a better option is available. Versus southpaws, Hall is the guy.

So far this year Gamel is proving he doesn't need to be platooned at all. He's actually hitting better against lefties (.429 BA) then righties (.296) and also has had more home runs (5,3) against lefties with almost half as many at bats. When he gets called up he shouldn't be taken out because of anything other than his glove.

I think Hall's stock will rise this year. LASIK is a fresh story, and he has been adequate defensively at several key positions. I'd like to see him packaged along with another position player for a big arm. We need to improve the quality of the starting pitchers.. no more #4-5 types.

I still think Billy would only bring little more than salary relief. I agree he has boosted his stock, but remember it's only been 1.5 months, and I think he's only boosted it from untradeable to being a movable contract. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see anyone giving up too much for him with 10 million going his way next year and his last two years haunting GMs

I don't think that we would necessarily get a great arm for a package involving Hall, but that moving him would free up room in the company checkbook to go after an arm. Maybe even a prospect that could help get said arm.

Speculation is, he's up. Being discussed here.

A huge congratulations to the Gamel family, I hope they're still reading. Mat could be a serious asset getting The Brewers into the playoffs, and maybe even the World Series.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

At this point in time instead of guessing where he should be moved, I say it's time to place your bets on the over/under of him being called up by Memorial Day.

I should have taken my own advice http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

Like X said, congrats to Mat and his entire family. I hope you continue to follow Mat here at Brewerfan as he begins his big-league career.

Speculation is correct. He got notified yesterday after the game in Nashville and flew out last night.

Edit: I posted that before I saw the other thread - guess y'all already knew that. Thanks for the congratulations. I will certainly pass them on to Mat and our parents. We don't know how long he is up for at this point, but are obviously hoping for the best, however long his stay is.

Cool... some more words of support & celebration here, lexi. Be sure to let Mat know how much the fanbase is rooting for him, and to IGNORE the idiot boo-birds if they come out on him. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Cool... some more words of support & celebration here, lexi. Be sure to let Mat know how much the fanbase is rooting for him, and to IGNORE the idiot boo-birds if they come out on him.
Mat received a standing ovation before his at-bat yesterday. It was pretty cool, Brewers fans sure know their baseball. Why would you think anyone would boo him TLB?

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I don't think anyone has it out for him, I am just all too familiar with the 'It's mah right ta boo!' subset of the Brewers' fanbase. Meant just to pass along to Mat to ignore should anything like that come to pass (hence my "if they come out on him"). Sorry it was unclear.

Really glad to hear that Mat got such a warm welcome. Hopefully he inspires many more ovations!

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

• 2 weeks later...
I just realized that Mat Gamel is the Brewers 1st 4th round pick (2005) to make it to the show since Billy Bates, who was drafted in 1985. The diminutive 2B appeared in 29 games, with a .335 career OPS. I'd say Mat will have a much more inspiring career.

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

Brewers get lots of hits from Mat Gamel

Former Sounds star continues solid offense in major leagues

By Bryan Mullen

THE TENNESSEAN

There is a baseball in a sock in Mat Gamel's book bag.

But this isn't just any baseball. It's the one he hit for his first big league home run two weeks ago.

The strange storage fits with the personality of Gamel, the former Nashville Sound who is quickly becoming an everyday contributor to the Milwaukee Brewers.

After teammates retrieved the ball from the bullpen, Gamel shoved it into a sanitary sock and tossed it in his bag. He didn't send it off to be encased. This was no time to get cocky.

"I was just trying to stay through the middle and not do too much," recalled Gamel, who hit the three-run shot over the right field wall on May 18 at Busch Stadium in St. Louis.

"I've tried to keep the same approach I've had and not stray away from that. Luckily, I just got into it a little bit."

After tearing it up in Nashville, where he hit .336 with 31 RBIs in just 33 games, Gamel was called up on May 14. The timing was ideal for Milwaukee.

Gamel (6-foot, 200 pounds), one of the organization's top prospects, would be the designated hitter during interleague play. He was hot in his first six games, went into a slump in the next six games, but has appeared to turn it around.

In his past four games, Gamel is 4-for-9, including 0 for 1 on Wednesday, and is hitting .235 overall.

"We know he's going to hit," said Gord Ash, the Brewers' assistant general manager. "But every young player goes through an adjustment period, especially in the role he is in, which is kind of a part-time player and pinch hitter. That's a tough role for a young player."

A knock on the third baseman has been his defense, but Ash is quick to defend Gamel, who has made one error in nine chances.

"He's made some plays, including a great play, an (ESPN) Web-Gem type play at third base, Ash said. "I think as a whole, he's done a pretty good job defensively."

And just because the flights are nicer now, the meals more extravagant and the ballparks palatial, the 23-year-old isn't changing his game too much.

"It's the same mind-set I had when I was in Nashville," Gamel said. "I'm just making sure I get my work in and keep myself fresh. When I do get called in to play, I want to be able to have the same confidence I had down there."

A brief call-up in September didn't hurt. Gamel played in two games with the Brewers in 2008 and had a double in two at-bats. He described it a courtesy call-up, after hitting .329 with 96 RBI at Double-A Huntsville and an impressive five-game showing in Nashville.

"(The Brewers) were in a playoff race and I really didn't feel like I would be playing much," Gamel said. "I also didn't feel like I had earned the right to be playing much."

Now as a regular contributor, several factors will determine how long Gamel remains in Milwaukee.

He received some good news when it was announced last weekend he would remain with the Brewers through their next three interleague series. That means he will be in Milwaukee at least through June 25.

"After that, we'll see where we are and if he's better served to play every day in the minor leagues, or if he's progressed enough to take a more active role at the major league level," Ash said.

As is his personality, don't expect Gamel to stress out.

"I'm trying not to put any more added pressure on myself," Gamel said. "This game is hard enough."

Archived