Brewer Fanatic

Time to give Rivera more playing time

apereira2222
Late in the game, tying run at 2nd, go ahead run at first, one out. I told my wife, need to make a change here or it's a patented double play ground out. I walked away to the bathroom, didn't even need the confirmation.

Well maybe you should have gotten the comfirmation because that wasn't what happened.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

He's been atrocious with the bat for the past 2 years, even for a catcher.

This seems to be an exaggeration. He was clearly the worst hitting catcher for those that qualified for the batting title last year, but there were only 9 in that category. Of all catchers that had a PA last year, he was about in the middle of those players, ranked by OPS.

But the point stands that Kendall won't bring much value with his bat. His value will have to come with his defense and his playcalling. If he doesn't bring value there, then Rivera should certainly be given more opportunities.

If he doesn't bring value there, then Rivera should certainly be given more opportunities.

I'd just be happy to see Kendall get lifted for a PH -- I think his lack of power is very evident, and I think Rivera at least has a reasonable chance at an extra base hit. I don't think that Rivera is a better hitter overall, I just like that he has the ability to hit it out of the IF at some point.

Kendall is just a weird player in general. Just look at his season last year. 3 months of .600 or lower OPS, 3 months of .700+. Each month was driven completely by BABIP. In the months with a low BABIP he is completely 100% useless at the plate.

Late in the game, tying run at 2nd, go ahead run at first, one out. I told my wife, need to make a change here or it's a patented double play ground out. I walked away to the bathroom, didn't even need the confirmation.

Well maybe you should have gotten the comfirmation because that wasn't what happened.

It certainly was!

Kendall has a long swing for a slap-hitter. And although he is good defensively, he ain't exactly Johnny Bench. I would like to see Rivera twice a week, at least. Heck, I would like to see Salome get a shot sooner rather than later. One of the reasons the Brewers rely so much on the long ball is that they lack even average production from the little guys like Ricky (last year) Hall, and Kendall (this year and last). Hit the ball and put it in play. Quit striking out and popping up.

Kendall is the best option if his defense is up to the level it was in 2008. So far he looks as good as last year behind the plate. He has had 2 wrong calls on steals so far this year IMO. I do agree on the late game pinch hitting. I'd continue to do it the way Macha is...use Rivera 1/5 games with maybe a day game mixed in, but be a little more willing to pinch hit late in the game.

With McGahee on the roster there is no reason why Rivera shouldn't get some pinch hitting opportunities and/or Kendall shouldn't be getting pinch hit for in late big spots..

Why pinch hit for someone likely to be little or no better than the one he's pinch hitting for? I agree with pinch hitting for him more late in games but I'd rather they use someone actually capable of doing better.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I listened to an interview with Melvin a few weeks ago and he is in love with Jason Kendall. All the praise he receives for handling the pitching staff. How could it be any worse than it is now. Consequently, how much blame should Kendall take for the poor start of our pitching staff.

My guess is he gets too much credit. Soto came in as a rookie and many of the Cubs pitchers pitched better than they ever have. Is it because of Soto? I doubt it.

Not only would I pitch hit for him more often, I would play him a lot less until he starts to hit, if that ever happens.

The pitching staff he is "handling" is walking everyone and giving up over 6 runs a game with the genius Kendall behind the plate. He's thrown out 1 base stealer in 8 attempts.

I understand he's a great teammate and all and he's a very hard worker. All that's great, but sooner or later everyone has to produce.

I know Riveras minor league numbers say he wont be a good offensive player but everytime I watch him he seems to get hits or at least hit the ball hard most of the time. Kendall is basically an automatic out at this point. He cant even get the ball out of the infield most of the time. Its time that Rivera starts to play a lot more because Kendall just seems completely incapable of doing anything with the bat. I would be shocked if Kendall hits above .230 this year.

From JSOnline:

When Macha was asked if he was concerned about catcher Jason Kendall's awful offensive start, he revealed that Kendall has not been 100% healthy.

"He took a (foul) ball off the forearm so he's been playing a little dinged up," Macha said.

So a hurt Kendall > a healthy Rivera I guess....

With McGahee on the roster there is no reason why Rivera shouldn't get some pinch hitting opportunities and/or Kendall shouldn't be getting pinch hit for in late big spots..

Why pinch hit for someone likely to be little or no better than the one he's pinch hitting for? I agree with pinch hitting for him more late in games but I'd rather they use someone actually capable of doing better.

You don't think Rivera is a better offensive option over Kendall?

And I think you are agreeing with me anyway. If Brad Nelson is on the bench and Kendall is up in the 8th inning in a big spot... Nelson should be hitting for him and Rivera should be catching the last inning. We don't have to worry about losing our backup catcher to injury anymore with McGahee on the roster. Yost refused last year and Macha doesn't have that same excuse...

Even if Rivera and Kendall were to have exact same BA and OBP, there seem to have been several (many?) occassions over the past year when Kendall has come up late in a game when we need a chance for an extra-base hit or even just a sac fly. Rivera has a better chance to do this than Kendall. I like Kendall just fine - I think he has made a nice contribution to the team, especially behind the plate - but he has trouble just advancing a runner, since he typically either chops to third or pops to shallow right/first base.

The disadvantages of putting Rivera in to PH would be a) experience in pressure situations, b) lack of speed if he does get on, and c) I would guess that he will K more than Kendall.

I'm always suspicious of a manager just taking one for his struggling player & saying, 'He's been a battler through his injury'. Kendall's defense at C is clearly valuable, but is it more valuable than the upgrade Rivera could provide with the bat?
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I'm always suspicious of a manager just taking one for his struggling player & saying, 'He's been a battler through his injury'. Kendall's defense at C is clearly valuable, but is it more valuable than the upgrade Rivera could provide with the bat?
That seems to be the company line -- that it's a wash. For it to change, I think Kendall is going to have to go so sub-Mendoza that Macha will be shamed into altering his role. That would mean, I don't know, .150 at the end of this month? If it's .220, I think we're just going to hear about how well he "handles our pitchers" as he gets trotted out there 4 games out of every 5.

Kendall's defense at C is clearly valuable

I don't believe that it really is that valuable... Last year he had an insane CS%, which was awesome, but I think that was due to coaches sending more fat guys to run on him, because he was easy to steal on in 2007. This year he has only thrown out only 1 out of 8 guys, which I think is a % closer to his skill level than the the 42% he had last year. I don't think he is a horrible defensive catcher at all -- but I am not sure that he is even average defensively compared to the guys who start 130 games.

but is it more valuable than the upgrade Rivera could provide with the bat?

I seriously think Parra and Yo should bat higher than Kendall in the lineup.

I was looking at Kendall's hit chart, and it basically is a big red blotch between 3b and SS.

Counsell has a much nicer looking hit chart.

I don't think this is a ultimately going to be a question of whether Rivera should get more time -- if things don't turn around, I think Kendall is going to have a tough time justifying his roster spot.

I have a hard time being optimistic about Kendall with the bat as well. I am not sure how much you can count on luck to bail you out when all you can do is ground the ball to the 3b/ss almost every time you have a PA....

One other interesting note -- Kendall has BBd 4 times this year -- which has kept his OPS over .400 - however 2 of those BBs were IBBs, presumably to get to the pitcher (I think that Yo HR was one such case), so I really don't feel Kendall has an ability to get on base (like Weeks does) other than batting 8th.

This year he has only thrown out only 1 out of 8 guys, which I think is a % closer to his skill level than the the 42% he had last year.

To be fair to Kendall 2 of those 8 were bad calls, he should be at 3 caught and 7 SB. I agree that it is too much to hoep for a repeat of 42% though, I don't think it was just some fluke. He was throwing perfect strikes almost every time last year.

To be fair to Kendall 2 of those 8 were bad calls, he should be at 3 caught and 7 SB.

Fair enough -- although, I suspect some bad calls are part of every catcher's data.

I don't think it was just some fluke. He was throwing perfect strikes almost every time last year.

Yeah, he sure did a good job last year, I just think he had a lot more easier chances than a lot of catchers generally get. He had a very bad 2007, and I think teams made him prove he could throw runners out, once he did, they quit running on him.... I think he will be around 20% or so.

To be fair to Kendall 2 of those 8 were bad calls, he should be at 3 caught and 7 SB.

Fair enough -- although, I suspect some bad calls are part of every catcher's data.

I don't think it was just some fluke. He was throwing perfect strikes almost every time last year.

Yeah, he sure did a good job last year, I just think he had a lot more easier chances than a lot of catchers generally get. He had a very bad 2007, and I think teams made him prove he could throw runners out, once he did, they quit running on him.... I think he will be around 20% or so.

The worst call this year on a steal attempt cost Rivera a caught stealing. I believe that was against the Cubs.

Archived