Brewer Fanatic

Macha 2009

TooLiveBrew
I highly doubt any decision to move Suppan out of the rotation would belong to Macha.
Maybe not, but I'm sure he has the decision of where in the rotation and right now he has Suppan about 4 spots too high.

I don't mean to direct this at you GB12, but with all due respect... Do people really think that Macha can just change "where he is number wise in the rotation". Someone else touched on this, it's not a batting order. How many casual fans would be happy to hear "Macha changes pitching rotation to the new rotation of 1.Yo 2. Manny 3. Looper 4. Bush 5. Suppan. However they will continue to pitch on normal rest." Elated casual fans go wild with this drastic change. It's the same order 51234 or 12345 who cares? Yo and Manny need their innings kept down and Looper was hurt in spring. What were his options? I just think this is a strange thing to focus on.

Thursday through Saturday should give us a little more to go on with the manager. I would be ok with skipping nobody, skipping Parra or Gallardo to keep their innings down, or pushing Bush back a day and skipping Suppan. I will be irate with skipping Bush in favor of Suppan.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I agree with End; the "what number are they in the rotation" drive me nuts. Unless the #5 gets skipped (Ned didn't, some managers do), it's so irrelevant.

And that's what I was getting at. Suppan should be moved to 5th and get skipped whenever the opportunity occurs.

Though Rock constantly calling Bush the #5 starter does want me to bang my head against the wall.

Having such stupid people in such prominent roles in baseball is what is ultimately going to make give up on the sport.

What about 'I/we gave [number greater than 100] percent' -- I loathe that one.

Thursday through Saturday should give us a little more to go on with the manager. I would be ok with skipping nobody, skipping Parra or Gallardo to keep their innings down, or pushing Bush back a day and skipping Suppan. I will be irate with skipping Bush in favor of Suppan.

This is a stretch I'm going to enjoy watching unfold as well. At this point I don't think anyone will argue that Suppan shouldn't be skipped in favor of one of the four superior SP we have in the rotation, so hopefully Macha has some plans.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

It would be really easy to skip Suppan once and turn him into the 5th starter, there isn't much point to it. Gallardo and Parra will struggle to go 200 IP this year so you don't want them making extra starts, Looper isn't 100% healthy yet. This just isn't a setup where we should be skipping starts unless it is Gallardo or Parra to keep their arms fresh.

SO far Macha has been ok, he has made some odd bullpen choices but it could just be trying to learn the players and decide what they can and cannot do.

Ha -- honestly, compared to 'I gave >100%', the oft-mocked 'I'd like to thank God/Jesus/whomever for giving me the strength... because without him nothing is possible' doesn't even bother me. While I agree a higher power probably has more important things to do than tune in for the AFC Championship, for example, at least the latter cliche is grounded in a person's faith & personal beliefs, as opposed to being grounded in a numerical value that doesn't exist in any way, shape or form. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif
Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yeah...I think it's way too early in the year to seriously evaluate Macha, or compare him to Yost. There's been some things he's done that I've liked...a few things I've questioned. But overall since it's so early in the year to even be getting a solid evaluation on the players, it's hard to say how successful or not Macha will be.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

I'm liking Macha a lot right now. Beyond the general actions of managing - putting together lineups and bullpen management et cetera, there seems to be a different atmosphere. Most notably, being hacktastic at the plate is not acceptable.

Re: Suppan, there aren't a lot of choices and anything drastic won't happen quickly.

Re: phrases I am worn out on, I am about as sick as can be of they or he "plays the game the right way." Usually it means trying all the time to which I say whoopie.

Formerly AKA Pete

Not to veer too far off course, but here are my favorite/most hated phrases:

3. "when you have a Ryan Braun batting 3rd, a Prince Fielder batting 4th....." (how about we just drop the "a", OK?)

2. "I just have to play within myself" (ew....)

1. "he plays the game the right way." (almost always applied to a mediocre player, as in David Eckstein plays the game the right way, insinuating, I don't know... JJ Hardy doesn't?)

The only conclusive thing I've seen so far from Macha is he is more direct and honest in his postgame presser. None of this "Soup pitched great" stuff. He seems a little more willing to call it as he sees it. Hopefully that translates into less myopia in the dugout.

I've scratched my head on a few moves, but it's early and I think he needs time to figure out what he's dealing with so no major criticisms to date.

I'm waiting for the He's only a pitch or two away line for Soup to come. It has to be one bad start away. I must say as much as I liked Yost Macha does make me scratch my head during games less so far.

FTJ I don't want to get too far into questionable areas with your last line so I took it outside.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

Archived