Brewer Fanatic

Macha 2009

TooLiveBrew

I figured that we'd eventually have some Macha discussion, and given the vigilant & often critical watch that was kept of Yost, it's only fair that Macha is put under similar scrutiny. So far (to me) his strategical approach has been different, whether it's the faith in DiFelice out of the bullpen, putting baserunners in motion a bit, or not being afraid hook a struggling SP too soon rather than too late. I'll admit I don't know yet if this is just me making these statements based on 5 games, or if it's Macha's style.

I'm not a fan of Hart batting #2, as Hardy to me just fits so much better. But his move to pair Rivera with Bush so far looks like a savvy way to get Rivera more plate appearances & keep Kendall rested more often. At this point Mike seems to be the better offensive option. I won't ramble on too long, but would like to hear what other people think about Macha so far.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I haven't had much of a problem with what he has done so far. I wasn't a fan of the Hart move either but if he keeps on taking all these BBs I'm good with it. Maybe Hart needed to bat 2nd to be convinced his job was to get on base and not just hit for the fences, dunno.

I really didn't like the fact he kept Bush in to face Hoffpauir last night but I guess it worked so hard to be too critical of it.

I think Macha was afraid of pulling Bush for Stetter and then having Pinella put in Reed forcing Stetter to pitch to Reed and Soriano before he got to Fukudome. And likely thought Bush could handle Hoffpauir better than DiFelice coming in cold (keeping in mind Bush' sonly real problem right then was an inability to keep his curve down).

The only worry I have about Macha right now is his belief in veterans, mainly Suppan. He hasn't really acted on that except for starting Suppan opening day instead of Gallardo. Not a big deal in my mind. As long as he doesn't start skipping Bush in favor of Suppan.

I don't really like Hart and Hardy switched like they are. Only because I think Hardy will carry a better OBP. Hart may have improved and be a better OBP guy than Hardy now though. Not a big deal either. Lineups are not something that are going to bother me to much though. As long as he is keeping the best guys in the lineup day to day.

The comment about needing to steal bases at a 75+% rate was a mark in his favor.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Kendall still had a .327 OBP last year with what was probably a flukey low BABIP. I really don't have a big problem with him hitting in OBP type situations myself.

It is situations like a runner on 1st with no outs where he needs to be pinch hit for, where a double drives in a run and a GIDP ruins your scoring chances.

I loved the usage of DeFelice last night. Those were the perfect 2 hitters to use him against. Soriano loves the fastball and Fukudome has a tendency to get way out in front of balls in the dirt. It's not about who is the nastiest, the most established, or who has the flashier name. It's about who matches up with the batters due up. Yost would have went with his 7th inning guy no matter if Soriano and Fukodome had lifetime .750 batting averages agianst that guy. To me the people still criticizing Macha over the selection of DeFelice even though it worked out exactly as planned are the ones who just didn't like seeing him used in a high leverage situation in the first place. Coffey is good but he's not mid 1990's Mariano Rivera folks.

I think 5 games is way too small of a sample size to evaluate what Macha will do and what Macha won't do at this point. It seems like he is still feeling out the roster of players he has and what will be the best situations to put them in.

I think for the most part he has done about as well as he can with the guys he has. Coffey seems to be the guy who has stepped up as the fireman of the bullpen and I'm guessing Macha will use him as such until he proves otherwise.

I think as the season unfolds we will see what Macha's true character holds and whether he is any better or worse than Yost.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Two things that I want changed.

1. Suppan. He hasn't didn't deserve to start last year and shouldn't be this year. Yes I know he has a big contract, but it's better to suck it up and sit him than hurt the team just to get "value" out of him. At the very least move him to the 5th spot in the rotation. #1 starter is riculous.

2. Switch Hardy back to the two hole.

Leaving Suppan in to walk in his third run of the inning against a very patient LH hitter should not happen. Suppan threw about 5 strikes in 25 pitches that inning before Fukudome came up, you have to take him out there.

Not enough time to develop some tendencies, but I dont like how he seemingly likes to sit on his hands. I don't let my little leaguers walk 3 guys in a row, while I watch on. What you may do may not work, but just do something.

I am not sure he "could" take Suppan out "yet" before the 3rd guy got walked in... I mean, come on, Suppan is a vet and the starter.. there has to be a way he can throw a couple strikes!? Just not sure Macha made a bad choice here. But if Suppan's season keeps up like this, I think we will be able to make a decision on Macha's ways and means as to how he handles that...

I'm more concerned that Melvin thinks our pitching staff is ok because we gave up the 2nd fewest runs in spring training.........

Suppan's below average stuff and bad control is a nasty combination but if I had his arm I would probably be afraid to throw it over the plate too.

I don't want to second guess every little thing he's done, but I thought he made some bizarre choices to not pinch-hit tonight: Julio (we were playing from behind--I know it was 2 outs and there was no one on base, but some kind of offensive spark would've been nice. Julio didn't look as bad the next inning but he was pretty crummy himself beforehand) and Kendall to lead off the 9th (I know Kendall is the vet, but we really needed that spark again there and Kendall is clearly barren right now).

I can't say I'm a fan with how he's handled Suppan: I don't like the way he started the rotation this year, and I think he left him in a batter too long tonight, at least.

Overall, I like what he's done so far though--the aggression on the bases, and the improved infield defense (knock on wood), etc : his bench coach also seems to have really been a big help to Rickie.

I dont like that he had the runners moving with out in Saturdays game.....with fielder going from 2nd to 3rd, and 2 strikes on Cameron. Cameron strikes out (like he does often) and Prince is no where near 3rd, so he retreats to 2nd and gets tagged out. Double play, inning over.

I can see leaving Julio in there to get some innings out of him especially with nobody on. I don't think any of the bench options were better than Kendall except maybe Nelson and he went in for the pitcher.

A manager is a manager is a manager.

I blame Wang.

I dont like that he had the runners moving with out in Saturdays game.....with fielder going from 2nd to 3rd, and 2 strikes on Cameron. Cameron strikes out (like he does often) and Prince is no where near 3rd, so he retreats to 2nd and gets tagged out. Double play, inning over.
Macha didn't have them running on that play. The ball got away from the catcher and JJ took off for second without making sure Prince was going for third. It was a lot more JJ's baserunning mistake than Prince's or Macha's decision for that matter.
Everything I've ever known, I've learned from Brewerfan.net....Seriously though

I have to disagree that neither Hall nor Rivera were better options than Kendall for that at-bat tonight in the 9th down by 4 to the Cubs. I have to assume maybe it was a show of respect to the veteran (that he had some documented problems with in Oakland), but Yost used to get raked over the coals for his loyalty to a fault.

It's early...we'll see how it goes. I'm not sure a lot of the concerns we're gonna have this year will be Macha's to create or solve. He does have to make the most of what he's got, however. We'll see.

"The guys battled to the end," Macha said. "We had Prince at the plate. There were a lot of positive things happening. We can't just hang our heads."

Could someone please tell him to never say the team battled to the end. We heard enough of that garbage the last few years.

I highly doubt any decision to move Suppan out of the rotation would belong to Macha.
Maybe not, but I'm sure he has the decision of where in the rotation and right now he has Suppan about 4 spots too high.

I think we don't know enough about Rivera to decide what kind of hitter he is. He has had success, but not enough plate appearances. Hall, well I still don't trust him against righties. He hasn't hit them worth anything in over 2 years. Kendall has pretty equal platoon split. He has a better OBP(2006-2008) than Rivera(career, not enough PA to use his 3 year). The stats can be disected to support either opinion. I will stick with the sample that seems big enough rather than Rivera's 2006-2008 split. I am sure people who think Rivera is a better hitter will argue that he has improved as a hitter in the last few years and Kendall has gotten worse. I wouldn't argue against that at all. He still has a .331/.340 R/L OBP split.

Maybe not, but I'm sure he has the decision of where in the rotation and right now he has Suppan about 4 spots too high.

Doesn't matter what order the pitchers are in the rotation. This isn't a batting order where you can easily switch things up. All that matters is whose spot gets skipped in the rotation.

I blame Wang.

"The guys battled to the end," Macha said.

Is there a more used cliche than that in all of sports?

It doesn't matter the sport, managers or coaches all feel the need to say this for some reason. As if athletes should and do often quit trying in games that aren't even completely out of any hope to possibly come back and win in.

Hell, coaches/managers will always say this even after playoff or title games. Their team will get behind and then after either coming back to win or coming close, it's nearly inevitable it will be said by the coach/manager that they are so proud of how their players didn't quit. What possible reason would the players have for quitting in a playoff/title game that wasn't a total blowout? Yet, it's said nearly every time.

Archived