Brewer Fanatic

Rob Deer Q&A on BPro (requires membership)

Ennder

quick snippet I thought was nice . . . .

DL: In your first season with the Brewers, you broke Gorman Thomas' team record by striking out 179 times. Do you see yourself as having been a similar player to Thomas?

RD: You know, I'm sure it was brought up when I was there playing... about strikeout comparisons, but I wasn't aware that I had broken any records. But Gorman was really good for me. Gorman is one of the three or four most popular players in Milwaukee, still to this day, and he kind of knew what situation I was coming into. He knew that I was going to be a guy who struck out a lot and hit some home runs, so he made it a point to help me feel comfortable and at home. I was fortunate to get to play with him at the latter part of his career, and as far as comparisons go, yeah, we were a lot alike. He had a lot better years than I did, though, and he also got to the World Series. But he's still a great friend, and I enjoy being around him. He's a good guy.

Archived