Brewer Fanatic

2009-04-12 Cubs (Dempster) at Brewers (Suppan): 7:05 PM CDT [Brewers Lose 8-5]

thablingster
About 50% Cubs fans and it was really hard listening to them basically laugh as we walked in 4 runs in an inning.
Well, to be fair, I was laughing too, albeit somewhat bitterly. Then again, I was alone in our back room, 2000+ miles away. If I had been in the presence of cackling Cubs fans while witnessing either today's 4th inning meltdown (or even Johnson's catch) or yesterday's Soriano homer, there wouldn't have been enough serenity prayers in the world to keep my blood pressure down.

Brewer fans who actually man up and support their team at Miller Park during these series, through the good and the bad, rather than abandoning our park to the barbarian Illi-nnoying horde, or worse, selling out to them, deserve a medal.

• Replies 262
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was there too. I didn't think it was anywhere close to 50% Cubs fans. I was in section 209, and there was maybe 10% Cubs fans. All of the Cubs fans I saw were pretty well behaved. I had a filthy-mouthed Brewers fan 4 seats down from me ruining the atmosphere. He knew there were kids around but yet he kept cussing away all night.

One thing that hasn't been touched on... Prince and Braun are not elite players. Do you see Pujols and Rolen striking out back to back in the 9th when the game is on the line? This is the 2nd game in a row where Prince could have tied/won the game and he struck out. I'm not saying they aren't great players, but they are not elite.

I think 50% Cubs fans was an exagerration...I was there, and I think it was closer to 1/3 or maybe 2/5ths. Still more Brewers fans there, from my observation. The Cubs fans were obviously loud, and it was worse towards the end of the game when a lot of fans were filing out...obviously many Brewers fans threw in the towel on this one.
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Anyone catch what happened in the right field bleachers towards the end of the game? I saw a ball on the field and the next thing I knew, a Cubs fan was getting tossed. On the way home, AM 620 said something about the fan trying to hit Corey Hart with the ball. Anyone see that?

Up in the nosebleeds, there was a scuffle that involved a couple left hooks and some beer bottles thrown. I'm not sure who threw the first punch, but the Cubs fans "won the fight" due to the fleeing of the Brewer fans.

The police were also brought up to my section (436) because some woman was smoking, however by the time they got up there, the cigarette was out, and they got away with it.

Overall, I'd say it had to have been 50-50. There was absolutely no cheering help where I sat. A couple buddies and I went and we were surrounded by Cubs fans for the most part. They were fine...the gentleman in front of me kept goin back and forth with me, discussing our teams, but it was all in good fun. Another Cubs gentleman was discussing the game with my buddies, as well. There were even a few younger fellows joking around with us at the end of the game.

As for the right field bleacher incident, I did manage to see the ball person pick up some object from the field at around the 6th inning or so. It also sounded like there was a lot of noise coming from the left field bleachers.

The wave last night was pretty stellar, considering everyone in the park pretty much took part in it.

The new loaded baked potatoes that are sold at Miller Park are awesome. I didn't have dinner prior to the ballpark and the potato filled me up.
My only gripe with the baked potatoes is that the broccoli potato included one floret and a LOT of broccoli stalk. I'd like to see that ratio even out a little. But otherwise, yeah, good stuff. Plus they now serve it in a little tray - much more manageable than the round plates they used in '08.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

We're only going to get to one game at MP this year, but I'm still glad to see there are more vegetarian options there now for my wife. Stalk or florets, she'll take it.

I'm glad to see that the numbers skewed towards more Brewers' fans...on TV it looked like a majority of Cubs fans based on the shots. Even the pan-and-scans of the crowd looked like there were more Cubs' fans. Like the bad old days of '02, '03, '04.

I was there as well in section 202, and I would agree with the consensus of 50% cubs fans in the park. My whole section seemed to be Cubs fans, or at the least they were definitely the most vocal of the bunch. A few arguments broke out between cubs/brewers fans, and some threatening words and/or phrases were uttered, but no skirmishes ultimately ensued. It was brutal having to listen to hundreds, if not thousands, of cubs fans rejoicing after the game and singing that god awful "Go cubs go" song. I HATE that song.

I'm glad to see that the numbers skewed towards more Brewers' fans...on TV it looked like a majority of Cubs fans based on the shots. Even the pan-and-scans of the crowd looked like there were more Cubs' fans. Like the bad old days of '02, '03, '04.
Not to sound snarky, but with ESPN orchestrating the telecast, are you surprised that they would focus on cub fans?

The comments from this whole series are persuading me to pretty much never stray from the loge family section during cub games, from now on.

Rev, there's also a "veggie" (soy) dog available at the concession nearest section 117 or so. I'm not a vegetarian, but I prefer it to a regular hot dog - way less salty. The same product was available at Gorman's Grill last year, but I didn't check for it last night.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Archived