Brewer Fanatic

Giants Joe Martinez to DL; Concussion + hairline skull fractures (8/5: returned to rotation)

bjkrautk

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/blogs/giants/detail?blogid=22&entry_id=38321

For anyone wondering about the pitcher Cameron hit in Thursday's game; I didn't see a thread about it.

I just hope he is able to have a more successful return to the mound than ex-Brewer Bryce Florie when something similar happened to him (while with the Red Sox, if memory serves).

I am actually relieved to be reading this thread. As bad as the injury is, I was dreading waking up this morning and reading that he had either died, or was in critical condition. I really thought he sustained a life threatening injury last night. At this point, his baseball career is a minor concern compared to his overall health. Hopefully he can recover in the hospital and then worry about rehabbing after his release. We all hope you have a speedy recovery, Joe!

I was dreading waking up this morning and reading that he had either died, or was in critical condition. I really thought he sustained a life threatening injury last night.
I'll admit to thinking in the wake of that play Thursday night, "No! MLB already lost one player today." So yeah, Friday's update was quite a relief.
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• 3 months later...
Joe Martinez is scheduled to start today's game for the Giants, his first major league appearance since getting hit by Cameron's line drive. Glad to see he has recovered and made it back.

Yeah, I listened to the game on KNBR this afternoon and was really happy for the guy (despite the implications for the Brewers at this point, which I never truly foresaw in early April). He wasn't spectacular but that Whiteside GS gave him what I like to call the Looper-Advantage.

Archived