Brewer Fanatic

Need Job Advice

jlau20

Here's the story...I'm graduating in May and have yet to line up a full-time job. However, I do have a position saved for me at the Parks and Rec department where I've worked the last few summers on the grounds crew. The issue is, my boss at Park and Rec absolutely hates it when people back out right before the start of summer. He probably shouldn't because it's not exactly a position where it's hard to find someone qualified, but he still does anyway. So last week, since I hadn't heard anything from any of the interviews I've had for full-time employment, I called him up and told him that it looks like I'll be back for the summer. Sure enough two days later I get a call for a second interview with a company.

The second interview isn't until the 17th, but the form to officially commit to Park and Rec is due on the 15th. I don't want to burn any bridges at Park and Rec in case this job doesn't pan out, but I also don't want to leave him hanging. My major is finance though, and I'm thinking the process is going to be quite competitive at this company and who knows if I'll get it or not, so I want to have something lined up to make sure I have some sort of paycheck every other week.

Any thoughts?

The second interview isn't until the 17th, but the form to officially commit to Park and Rec is due on the 15th. I don't want to burn any bridges at Park and Rec in case this job doesn't pan out, but I also don't want to leave him hanging.

Tell this verbatim to your boss. If he doesn't understand, forget him. Especially in this economic climate, you need to worry about your own career first & foremost. If he holds a grudge against you for some petty reason, I can't imagine his boss(es) would be too happy with him. If nothing else, he should give you a good reference if you have to seek another summer job. If it comes to you having to back out, and he's too petty to give a good reference, go over his head (this is of course assuming you've been a solid employee, since it sounds like you have been).

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Yeah, thanks TLB. After just typing it out, it obviously makes sense to pursue the full-time job, regardless. I would hope that if it falls through, I'd be able to land a job doing something, even if it meant delivering pizzas or something like that.

It's always annoying to an employer when someone abruptly leaves. It's also something any employer who has a lot of part time help knows will happen repeatedly. We have plenty of that happen and, while it sucks to be us, it certainly isn't something we hold against the person. All you're trying to do is get ahead. Anyone who faults you for improving yourself is someone that needs to take along look in the mirror. In the real world one should never apologize for looking out for themselves. Nobody else is going to. If you really do feel an obligation to him then see if you can work out a schedule that would allow him more time to find an adequate replacement. Many employers who have part time help view past employees as allies to help them out in a pinch later on and most find it a waste of resources to needlessly burn bridges.

P.s. never look down on a job delivering pizzas or any other menial labor. Anyone who works deserves respect and every job has dignity. With the exception of having to be the Easter bunny. Speaking from experience it's hard to have any self respect in a bunny costume.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I would just call your boss and warn him that I have a second interview for a full time job that's two days after the deadline. I'll get back to you as soon as I can to say if I got the job.

If he doesn't understand, that's his problem.

I would just call your boss and warn him that I have a second interview for a full time job that's two days after the deadline. I'll get back to you as soon as I can to say if I got the job.

If he doesn't understand, that's his problem.

I wouldn't do that. If he doesn't understand it's actually your problem since you've already mentioned he can fill that job fairly easy. I wouldn't wait for you past a deadline when I have options and he may not either. He's going to be more worried about getting his staff in order than he would holding the job open for you just in case. All that can do is make it harder for you if you don't get the full time job. It's your job to look out for yourself. When your best interests conflict with his expect him to do the same. I have been on the wrong end of that plenty of times and I feel bad when it happens to other employers but I also know business owners have to look out for their best interests even if it isn't to their employees advantage. So do/should employees.

Yeah I should have phrased that better, definitely didn't mean it in that sense.

I didn't mean to preach. What I was trying to say is don't feel bad or less of yourself if you do have to go that route. Any person doing any job is worthy of respect.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

My advice would be to pursue the full time job. You really don't have to tell your boss about the other job until you have secured another job. As long as you give at least 2 weeks notice he shouldn't have a problem. If he does, well then frankly the guy is a total piece of crap and probably wouldn't give a good reference either way. I am always upset when a good employee leaves, but as long as they give enough notice, we would bring them back.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

i'm echoing the previous posts, but definitely pursue the full-time job--that's your career you're talking about, and it definitely takes a priority over a summer job.

and don't tell the Parks and Rec guy about your interview at all because you're just giving him a reason to let you go regardless (WI is an at-will state). It all really just means that you can't use your boss at P&R as a reference. if you get the finance job you want, then good for you and too bad for the other guy. he might be a nice guy, but that's just the way things go.

loyalty to a job or to a boss is nice and all, but it definitely doesn't extend to sacrificing a better future for yourself.

This is a class is Win-Win for you. It's nice that you're concerned about him not being upset, but in the end it won't matter that much.

1) If you get the job, you have a job in your field and no longer have need for a job, nor really a reference from the parks department to get a job

2) If you don't get the job, you have a job at the Park & Rec.

Go get the job.

Archived