Brewer Fanatic

Link Report for Friday 4/10 -- Rogers Feature Story; Gamel Red-Hot; Drama in Huntsville

Mass Haas

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Friday's Daily Menu:

All times Central; pitchers subject to change --

Link here for the audio choices this evening -- as reported yesterday, audio apparently will no longer archive.

Nashville: RHP Mike Burns at home vs. New Orleans (Marlins), 6:45 PM pre-game; 7:00 gametime

Huntsville: LHP Chris Cody at home vs. Mobile (Diamondbacks), 6:50 PM pre-game; 7:00 gametime

Brevard County: RHP Mark Rogers at Daytona (Cubs), 6:05 gametime -- for this game only, click here for the Cubs broadcast

Wisconsin: LHP Evan Frederickson at home vs. Quad Cities (Cardinals), 6:25 pre-game, 6:35 gametime

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Follow Friday's action as it happens:

Here's what you do, right click on each of the links below and choose "Open in New Tab or New Window". Choose "Recap". While you're listening to your minor league game of choice (or watching/listening to the big league Crew when they are playing), simply refresh your game log browsers every so often.

UPDATE: MiLB.com apparently has Gameday available for AA as well as AAA this season.

Nashville:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2009_04_10_nozaaa_nasaaa_1

Huntsville:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t559&t=g_box&gid=2009_04_10_mobaax_hunaax_1

Brevard County:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=t503&t=g_box&gid=2009_04_10_breafa_dbcafa_1

Wisconsin:

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?sid=milb&t=g_box&gid=2009_04_10_qcsafx_wisafx_1

Brewer Fanatic Staff
 Pacific Coast League (AAA) - PCL American North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Memphis 1 0 1.000 - 1-0 0-0 W1 Iowa 0 1 .000 1.0 0-0 0-1 L1 Nashville 0 1 .000 1.0 0-1 0-0 L1 Omaha 0 1 .000 1.0 0-0 0-1 L1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Southern League (AA) - SOU North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- West Tenn 1 0 1.000 - 0-0 1-0 W1 Carolina 0 1 .000 1.0 0-0 0-1 L1 Chattanooga 0 1 .000 1.0 0-0 0-1 L1 Huntsville 0 1 .000 1.0 0-1 0-0 L1 Tennessee 0 1 .000 1.0 0-0 0-1 L1 ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

Florida State League (A+) - FSL North Division Standings ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Team W L PCT GB HOME ROAD STREAK ------------------------------------------------------------------------------- Brevard County 1 0 1.000 - 1-0 0-0 W1 Clearwater 1 0 1.000 - 1-0 0-0 W1 Lakeland 1 0 1.000 - 1-0 0-0 W1 Daytona 0 1 .000 1.0 0-0 0-1 L1 Dunedin 0 1 .000 1.0 0-0 0-1 L1 Tampa 0 1 .000 1.0 0-0 0-1 L1 

I hate to admit this but I've been nervous all day, not because it's opening day, because I want so badly for Rogers to succeed and he's pitching tonight for the first time in what seems like forever.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

So far, so good with Rogers.

Three sets of numbers have me particularly happy with his outing thus far: 3 IP, 5:2 G:F, 80 degrees. IIRC, Mark's always tended to fly balls, so any chance at being more effective with a modified arsenal or repertoire is a good step for him and, subsequently, the Brewers.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Listening to the Daytona broadcast as Mark Rogers just finished up -- I didn't tune in in-time to hear them discuss Rogers in detail, other than to say the Brewers would be pleased with his first appearance in over two seasons -- congrats to Mark!

Daytona Bottom 1st

• Nate Samson grounds out, third baseman Zelous Wheeler to first baseman Steffan Wilson.
  • Marwin Gonzalez singles on a line drive to left fielder Lee Haydel.
  • Tyler Colvin grounds out to first baseman Steffan Wilson. Marwin Gonzalez to 2nd.
  • With Jovan Rosa batting, Marwin Gonzalez steals (1) 3rd base.
  • Jovan Rosa strikes out swinging.

Daytona Bottom 2nd

• Dylan Johnston walks.
  • Marquez Smith grounds into double play, second baseman Eric Farris to shortstop Brent Brewer to first baseman Steffan Wilson. Dylan Johnston out at 2nd.
  • Andrew Rundle lines out to first baseman Steffan Wilson.

Daytona Bottom 3rd

• Robinson Chirinos grounds out, third baseman Zelous Wheeler to first baseman Steffan Wilson.
  • Starlin Castro singles on a line drive to left fielder Lee Haydel.
  • Nate Samson flies out to center fielder Logan Schafer.
  • With Marwin Gonzalez batting, Starlin Castro caught stealing 2nd base, catcher Martin Maldonado to shortstop Brent Brewer.

Lawrie just crushed a homerun to dead center over the big green wall. According to Rattlers radio man Chris Mehring, what wind there is also blowing in from straight center. How about that for your first professional hit? Go get yourself some, Brett! T-Rats lead Quad Cities 6-1 early going in the bottom of the 2nd inning. Wisconsin has 7 hits already, Kjeldgard has 2 of them for himself. In addition, the fielding for Quad Cities in the past two games has been....below average, to put it nicely.

Brewer Fanatic Staff
Brevard LHP Lucas Luetge really struggled with his control in a four-run Cub 5th inning, so I'll say goodbye to the Daytona broadcast and join up with old friend Brett Pollock in Huntsville. Manatees trail, 4-0, after five.

The Manatees immediately punish me by posting a sweet five-spot after I bail out. Meanwhile Commander Chris Cody is dealing in Huntsville, having retired his last ten in a row.

Brevard County Top 6th

• Brent Brewer grounds out, pitcher Ryan Searle to second baseman Nate Samson to first baseman Jovan Rosa.
  • Cole Gillespie reaches on fielding error by shortstop Starlin Castro.
  • Caleb Gindl singles on a line drive to right fielder Dylan Johnston. Cole Gillespie to 2nd.
  • Steffan Wilson singles on a line drive to right fielder Dylan Johnston. Cole Gillespie scores. Caleb Gindl to 3rd.
  • Lee Haydel singles on a line drive to left fielder Marwin Gonzalez. Caleb Gindl scores. Steffan Wilson to 2nd.
  • Zelous Wheeler doubles (1) on a fly ball to center fielder Andrew Rundle. Steffan Wilson scores. Lee Haydel scores.
  • Pitcher Change: Craig Muschko replaces Ryan Searle.
  • Martin Maldonado grounds out, third baseman Marquez Smith to first baseman Jovan Rosa.
  • Logan Schafer doubles (1) on a fly ball to center fielder Andrew Rundle. Zelous Wheeler scores.
  • Eric Farris strikes out swinging.

No gaudy K numbers like the TRats have been putting up but I'm pleased with what Mark did tonight. Congrats to him and everyone who's been pulling for him. Hopefully there will be much more to come.

Too bad Cody isn't going to find 8mph more for his fastball out there someplace, he just keeps getting excellent results without being "projectable", I have him pegged for the BP down the road, but if he can find a way to get big league batters out multiple times through the lineup he may stick. It will be interesting to follow him this year and next as he faces more advanced competition. If he does well all year does he get a ST invite next year?

Also whomever is running gameday for the AA games needs to do a better job, the outs and score don't always get updated when they should. I'd trade gameday for archived audio though... is there anyone we can complain to about the audio? maybe make them reconsider? I'd even pay for a premium service if it came to that, there's just so much information we'll miss only being able to listen to a single broadcast live.

Edit. Wow Katin has just been on fire... the big 3 prospects doing well offensively thus far through 2 games in AAA as well. Didn't someone say earlier they thought he'd have a good season.? I know it's early, but he's had a real nice spring in addition to these first couple of games for Nashville.

edit 2. Anyone know what Frederickson was hitting on the gun tonight?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Final: Daytona (Cubs) 7, Brevard County 6

Long night for Brent Brewer -- 0-for-5, struck out in a key spot -- 2nd and 3rd, one out in a tie game in the top of the 8th, then committed an error that led to the "losing run" in the bottom of the 8th...

Brevard County Box Score

Logan Schafer 4-for-5 including a double; Zelous Wheeler double, single, two RBI; catcher Martin Maldonado gunned down three of four baserunners attempting to steal; Mark Rogers a good night, Lucas Luetge not, as discussed above...

Brevard County Game Log

Archived