Brewer Fanatic

2009-04-10 Cubs (Harden) at Brewers (Looper): 3:05 PM CDT (Brewers Opening Day) [Brewers win 4-3]

razzzorsharp

Minor annoyance: Was it just me, or were there fewer porta johns in the lots than last year? There was a huge line at Helfare (sp?) Field, and didn't see too many other options around.

This is always a major problem in the parking lots. The lot that is off of Bluemound only has 6 port-a-johns in it so lines get VERY long (probably 30 people or more in line at a time). With all the drinking going on, this leads to lots of public urination. I saw a lot of people that had their own homemade port-a-johns for their tailgate parties. I also saw a bunch of girls taking turns peeing into a bucket near their vehicle while the rest of them held a blanket around as a shield.

I really wish the Brewers would do something about this. This has been a problem that I've noticed every Opening Day that I've been to for the last 10 years (or any big games/series...All-Star Game, Cubs series, playoffs, etc.). They were charging $15 a car in the lot I was in and they only had 6 port-a-johns. I can't imagine the excuse being that it's too expensive to have more out there.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great Baseball Crowd! Longest baseball-attention-span for Opening Day in recent memory. And only 5%-10% Cubs fans.

Several Cubs 'faithful' represented their team in expected fashion by 'slopping' in after the 3rd Inning to enrich our row's environment with thoughtful 4-letter-words and beer sprays. The prototypical Cub dolts were soon removed, not by an usher, but by a mysterious offer of free upgrades to Metavante Club. Thank you neighbor!

This year, Brewer Fans came for baseball first, and the party a close second. An awesome day all around!!!

I'll echo what others have said about it being one of the best (if not the best) crowds for opening day. I know some of the rest of you have already decided to swear off opening day attendance (my wife and I have been thinking the same thing for the last couple of years), but this year's crowd will keep our 15 year tradition alive for at least one more year.

My opening day story...

My son took one of his ratty old balls down to the right field corner during pre-game hoping to get some signatures of the pitching staff. He managed to get Riske and Coffey (Sam had a nice short discussion with Coffey and congratulated him on escaping the bases loaded jam in SF). Seth McClung stopped over next. Took one look at Sam's ball and said with a smile "That ball is crap." Seth reached in his pocket and handed Sam a clean ball after autographing it.

I'll echo what others have said about it being one of the best (if not the best) crowds for opening day. I know some of the rest of you have already decided to swear off opening day attendance (my wife and I have been thinking the same thing for the last couple of years), but this year's crowd will keep our 15 year tradition alive for at least one more year.

My opening day story...

My son took one of his ratty old balls down to the right field corner during pre-game hoping to get some signatures of the pitching staff. He managed to get Riske and Coffey (Sam had a nice short discussion with Coffey and congratulated him on escaping the bases loaded jam in SF). Seth McClung stopped over next. Took one look at Sam's ball and said with a smile "That ball is crap." Seth reached in his pocket and handed Sam a clean ball after autographing it.

Maybe it was your seats. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif You posters (not just bensheeps) are giving me hope to try this home opener thing someday.

How awesome for Sam! I love how he comes so prepared for meeting Brewers, with something knowledgeable to say.

I've been pondering whether to add a new "player jersey T-shirt" to my collection for 2009, and so far Dave Bush has been my lead candidate. But if there's a shirt for Big Seth this year, I just might do that, based on your account.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Koyie Hill, expect a letter from the commissioner's office. What a temper tantrum... Weeks was safe and it wasn't even close.
Hill did address his reaction to the last play of the game: Link

"It was the wrong way to act about it. I was just talking to my teammates about it. You get caught up in it sometimes. We wish things would have gone a little differently," said Hill, who hit .275 with a career-best 17 homers at Triple A Iowa last season before being called up Sept. 1 and appearing in 10 games.

"The tape showed (home plate umpire Jim Reynolds) made the right call and they usually do. Guys get caught up in the heat of the moment and come back and watch it on video and it's a different story. Those guys do a good job. They don't get a lot of credit but they're right an awful lot."
Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Regarding the crowd antics, there were a fair amount of drunk people (including the two girls sitting next to me who decided to finally show up in the fourth inning), but there weren't too many fracases I saw. A few Brewers fans and a Cubs fan in 419 or 420 were thrown out for throwing peanuts and other random stuff at each other, but other than that most everyone behaved themselves in the general area of 418 where I was sitting.

Compared to all of the horror stories I heard it wasn't bad at all. There was a dude in the concourse who was so drunk he totally biffed it walking along and clapping.

"When a piano falls on Yadier Molina get back to me, four letter." - Me, upon reading a ESPN update referencing the 'injury-plagued Cardinals'

Archived