Brewer Fanatic

2009-04-10 Cubs (Harden) at Brewers (Looper): 3:05 PM CDT (Brewers Opening Day) [Brewers win 4-3]

razzzorsharp
  • Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Despite McClung's good run at the end of last year, given his track record should he really be pitching in a one run game? I guess there aren't a whole lot of alternatives but jeez, McClung for the most part has not been a very good pitcher

The Brewers set the MLB record for strikeouts in 2001 with 1,399 K's. They would have to average about 8.64 K's per game to break their record. We're averaging 9 through the first 3 games and have 9 already today. I realize we're a team of free swingers but since mid last season we seem to be taking it to the extreme. In Spring it appeared some of the guys (Hart, Braun) might have found some plate discipline but it's not looking that way now.

It is also a team who has faced four guys in a row that strike out somewhere near 1 per IP.

To be fair I can see the case for IBB for Hill. Either they hit Harden or he leaves the game, both good results. I would have pitched to hill as well though since he is a bad hitter.

Despite McClung's good run at the end of last year, given his track record should he really be pitching in a one run game?

In my opinion, no. This is where we will miss Villanueva the most. As the multi-inning bridge in close games. I hate Villanueva in a one inning role whether it is setup or closing. I completely understand not wanting to pitch in a middle relief role because the money sucks.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I realize we're a team of free swingers

I disagree. The only sure free swingers are Hart and Braun. Cameron, Fielder, Hardy, and Weeks all walk at a pretty good rate. Hall and Kendall I could go either way on, but I still don' think they are free swingers.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Point taken Ennder. I'm not saying we'll set the record but I am looking for signs that our guys are taking a more disciplined approach at the plate. The pitching in our division looks better this year with guys like Harden (full year) and Carpenter looking like his old self.

I realize we're a team of free swingers

I disagree. The only sure free swingers are Hart and Braun. Cameron, Fielder, Hardy, and Weeks all walk at a pretty good rate. Hall and Kendall I could go either way on, but I still don' think they are free swingers.

Logan, wouldn't you expect to see a better walk to K ratio from guys you don't consider free swingers? I agree with you on Kendall plus some of the other guys will at least run up the count (Cameron, Weeks) but other guys like Hall average over 3 K's per BB.

I really hate the high fastball call against a hitter with good discipline. Against Soriano sure but when you have a guy 2-2 you don't waste a pitch and make it 3-2 unless he is the type that goes out of the strike zone a lot.

I still think Week's defense has improved the last couple years, I swear this is a 5-2 game with his defense of 3 years ago~.

Archived