Brewer Fanatic

RIP--1970s Brewer Eduardo Rodriguez

JimH5

Pardon if this has already been posted. I did a search and didn't see any mention of this. I was scanning Baseball-Reference today and noticed they had Eduardo Rodriguez in their "In Memorium" section.

Here's an obit link:

http://groups.google.co.uk/group/alt.obituaries/browse_thread/thread/5ddaef1dafa2b153/fde0d4d3cd301018?#fde0d4d3cd301018

Apparently, he died March 6th, though I've not been able to find any cause of death. He turned 57 that day.

He pitched for 6 seasons for the Brewers, from 1973 through 1978, often in the middle innings. He was one of their more reliable pitchers during those days, though he was often wild. He was right around the league average in ERA in 235 games with the Crew.

Farewell, Eddie--and thanks for your contributions to a great game.

Often referred to as Eddie by Ueck, he was one of my favorites and one of Ueck's as well. Eddie was extremely versatile. He could close (32 career saves, 126 games finished), he could throw multiple innings out of the pen which he often did, and he was used as a spot starter. He had some of the best stuff on those staffs. He deserved to be in the rotation but was so valuable out of the pen and spot starting.

His career highlight came on May 22, 1977 in the second game of a doubleheader at Boston. The Brewers had blown a 10-7 lead in the 8th inning of the opener when the Red Sox erupted for 7 runs in the 8th in a typically wild Fenway game. After that 14 run, 15 hit Boston onslaught, Eddie Rodriguez stopped them cold in the 2nd game tossing a complete game 2 hit shutout, fanning 8. By the way, that was his first start of that year.

Sad to see him go.

He was my first ever autograph, in the summer of 1974. I can still remember handing my glove over the rail near home plate at County Stadium, and him signing it in blue ink vertically on the outside of one of the finger stalls. Since it was my only glove -- and I used it almost everyday -- I tried my hardest not to mar that beautiful Eddie Rodriquez signature. To no avail, as it scuffed and faded until it was barely visible and finally just a faint impression was left by the time I tossed it a couple years later. Alas, such is the fate of our childhood heroes. RIP, Eddie.

Eddie was one of my favorite Brewer pitchers in the 70's. He was very versatile. He could start, pitch middle relief or he could come in and get you a save.

Favorite line on Eddie. 1 AB, 1 hit,1 run scored..... and his hit was a triple. His career batting stats 1.000 BA...1.000 OBP...3.000 SLG...4.000 OPS...

RIP Eddie. Very fond memories of Eddie and some of those mid-70s bullpen mates like Billy Castro and Tom Murphy. You guys have it right...he was incredibly versatile. The closest I've seen recently was Solomon Torres last year. A one inning save one night and a three-four inning outing the next time out. Some of those mid-70s guys played a big role in establishing the Brew Crew as a respectable and competitive franchise...Eddie was certainly one of them.

Archived