Brewer Fanatic

Nick Adenhart (22 yo Angels pitcher) killed in hit and run accident

Very sad story. Heard he was a great kid and was really starting to come into his own as a pitcher. 22 is just much to young to die. Drunk drivers just make me so mad. If you have had to many don't get behind the wheel, it's not hard to get a DD or just have a few drinks and stop.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread, but the person responsible for the hit and run was driving with a suspended license for a previous DUI. Despicable.

http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/mad.gif

I'm with Robbo on this one... I am so sick of hearing numbskulls talk about how they still can drive when drunk. It's bleeping stupid, and just never seems like the drunk-tard is the one to pay with his/her life.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

I don't think it's been mentioned in this thread, but the person responsible for the hit and run was driving with a suspended license for a previous DUI. Despicable.

This is again one of those stories that never should have happened. My best friend was killed by a drunk driver, so this hits home to me on a personal level. My wife and I spent some time in Ireland a year or so ago, and they had probably one of the most disturbing Public Service Announcements about the dangers of what they call "drink driving" that I've ever seen. The link is below, but I need to warn you that it is very graphic, but you'll think twice about drinking and driving after viewing it.

Rickey

I'm kinda scared to click the link. But I will. Thanks for posting it, rickey.

I can't believe this happened, either. Just last night I was watching MLB tonight and Dan Plesac was going bananas over the guy and his start. Just sad.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

This is again one of those stories that never should have happened. My best friend was killed by a drunk driver, so this hits home to me on a personal level. My wife and I spent some time in Ireland a year or so ago, and they had probably one of the most disturbing Public Service Announcements about the dangers of what they call "drink driving" that I've ever seen. The link is below, but I need to warn you that it is very graphic, but you'll think twice about drinking and driving after viewing it.

Rickey

I'd love to say that it will change people's minds, but they generally justify their behavior by thinking it won't happen to them. Apparently they are bulletproof.

I saw this on Will Leitch's blog and felt like bumping this thread after reading Vin Scully's great play-by-play in which he talks about Adenhart's death:

"If I may speak for every member of the Dodger organization, our heartfelt and deepest sympathies to the mother and family of Nick Adenhart, and to every member in the Angels organization, for the untimely accident and death of young Nick last night at the tender age of twenty-two. Nick, from Maryland, had pitched six scoreless innings and was in a car with three friends, and a driver apparently went through a red light and T-boned the car, killing three of the four, including Nick, and one other member is in critical condition. And if there is one thing I've learned in all my years - and I haven't learned much - but the one thing I've learned: Don't even waste your time trying to figure out life.

Ground ball through for Andre Ethier, and life continues for those who still have it. And with a leadoff single, Russell Martin will be coming up.

But I would say, it wouldn't be a bad idea to take a moment and say a prayer in memory for Nick, especially for his parents. What a shock to lose a twenty-two-year-old.

Andre Ethier at first base, Russell Martin the batter, James Loney on deck, and the Dodgers try to strike in the second inning against Kevin Correia."

Link: http://leitch.tumblr.com/post/94709902/if-i-may-speak-for-every-member-of-the-dodger

Rickey

I'd love to say that it will change people's minds, but they generally justify their behavior by thinking it won't happen to them. Apparently they are bulletproof.

Tempting to put that to the test by shooting anyone who tries to drive drunk.

Bars should be required to have bouncers to keep drunks from leaving without a ride home. If that's not enough, anyone caught drunk driving once should be branded and forbidden from buying alcohol (heavy fine + loss of liquor license as a penalty), and any 'friend' serving the drunk assumes equal liability - both civil and criminal.

Sure it's draconian, but I'd rather inconvenience a million drunks and the bars and liquor stores they patronize than lose one Nick Adenhart.

Bars should be required to have bouncers to keep drunks from leaving without a ride home. If that's not enough, anyone caught drunk driving once should be branded and forbidden from buying alcohol (heavy fine + loss of liquor license as a penalty), and any 'friend' serving the drunk assumes equal liability - both civil and criminal.

As you probably know, bars (& their servers & bouncers) actually are legally required to stop serving those they deem overserved or 'served enough'... unfortunately this means it's a judgment call, and many servers & bouncers just ignore safety in order to bring in more money.

As someone that has worked as a bouncer... & proud to say that it was at a bar that actually gave a crap about its patrons' state of intoxication as opposed to only caring about another quick buck... while I support your spirit there, putting the onus on the bouncers -- often/sometimes the only sober people in a bar -- just isn't fair. But I agree more needs to be done. It's disgusting, but I'm not sure how you effectively legislate against selfishness & ignorance http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

If you have to drive drunk, please do us all a favor and drive a Smart car or a motorcycle so that you are the one killed in the accident and not innocent other people.

Not entirely sure that statement should be in blue. Unfortunately I doubt that this "individual" (cannot use the most accurate term due to filters and the three strike policy) got drunk at a bar - he doesn't seem like the type who can afford to get drunk at a bar. All of the enforcement of drunkenness at a bar will never stop drunk drivers who get blitzed at home or at a buddy's place, of which I will bet is where plenty of drunk drivers get intoxicated.

For those of us who live in Southern California, after looking at his mug shots it is not surprising at all that he lives in Riverside. There are good, responsible people in Riverside, but unfortunately a lot of scum like this too.

My sincerest condolences to Adenhart's family and friends, and the family and friends of the three others in the car. Apparently the one who survived lives just a few miles from me in Manhattan Beach.

Recently a drunk driver killed a father and son just outside the town I live in. He had gotten blitzed all afternoon at a bar, and when his friends and the bartender apparently asked him how he was getting home, he lied and said he had a ride from a friend. He had also apparently been smoking pot.

There's just nothing that anyone else can do that will protect others from that kind of stupidity.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Sure it's draconian, but I'd rather inconvenience a million drunks and the bars and liquor stores they patronize than lose one Nick Adenhart.

I don't think you'd get much opposition on that one. I personally think drunk driving should result in an attempted murder charge, but that's probably going a little too far. The only way to get people to change on this, though, is to do something drastic like that.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

I'm amazed at the strength of drinks in bars now compared to 20 years ago. I watch them make something like a brandy and coke and it's literally half (or more) brandy. I have found myself having to tell them to lighten up on the brandy. This was not the case when I was in college, in fact it was the opposite. There was maybe a shot of alcohol in drinks.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

As someone that has worked as a bouncer... & proud to say that it was at a bar that actually gave a crap about its patrons' state of intoxication as opposed to only caring about another quick buck... while I support your spirit there, putting the onus on the bouncers -- often/sometimes the only sober people in a bar -- just isn't fair. But I agree more needs to be done. It's disgusting, but I'm not sure how you effectively legislate against selfishness & ignorance http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

I bounced for a bar that was a "get the extra money" kind of bar. There were many times when I would tell them that someone was overserved, and they would ignore me because the owners were putting way too much pressure on the managers to bring in revenue.

The same bar told me to ignore IDs that I knew to be fake for the same reason.

I bounced for a bar that was a "get the extra money" kind of bar. There were many times when I would tell them that someone was overserved, and they would ignore me because the owners were putting way too much pressure on the managers to bring in revenue.

The same bar told me to ignore IDs that I knew to be fake for the same reason

That's ridiculous, man. Is [that bar] still around? I can only imagine how frustrating & trivializing that must have been for you. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

Archived