Brewer Fanatic

2009-04-09 Brewers (Parra) at Giants (Cain): 6:05 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 7-1]

wOOgiE22

Solid contact for Rickie again, but he still doesn't have much to show for it.

Even if this series ends up being a loss, there are a lot of things I feel good about going forward. Hopefully some of the things that have gone wrong get ironed out in front of a home crowd.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The question is. how much of a home crowd will it be?

This series really hasn't been all that fun. It's too early to draw any conclusions, but it does appear that the questions that were posed, and the issues that were raised, about this team seem to be on point.

Brian has just been awful announcing tonight.

"Kendall pops it up."

The ball goes about 150 feet further than the one he said he hit well.

"Duffy has homerun power."

He has 31 homers in 2,243 at bats in the minors and 6 in 681 at bats in the majors His career SLG% in the minors is .420. In the majors, .361.

I looked that up in about three seconds Brian. You should do that sometime.

The injury http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif.

I don't worry much about the April games so some sloppy play generally doesn't bug me that much. Better teams than the Brewers are playing poorly right now too~.

Being that our rotation doesn't stack up 1vs1 2vs2 and so on with other teams, this is brilliant. Why not throw Suppan out as a sacrificial lamb against the other teams ace? It gives every other starter a better chance of winning being that our staff is facing 1vs2 2vs3 3vs4 4vs5 5vs1.

As far as I can tell, it makes little difference how you match up the starting pitchers. The overall expected wins are pretty close. You are better off just trying to maximize the starts of our best starting pitchers (although the Brewers aren't really in position to do so).

I know the casual fan thinks he is a moron for starting Suppan first but it really does make sense. Being that our rotation doesn't stack up 1vs1 2vs2 and so on with other teams, this is brilliant. Why not throw Suppan out as a sacrificial lamb against the other teams ace?

You may be right that this move this move might not make sense to the casual fan -- but I find this approach anything but brilliant.

1.) Macha himself said that he had Suppan start because of the pressure it would put on Yo and Parra. I don't agree with this, but it is a reasonable option.

2.) If Suppan ends up getting more starts that Yo, Parra or even Bush --- that puts us at a distinct disadvantage.

3.) If Macha would have started Yo against Lincecum, we would have had a better chance of winning that game, and getting 2 of 3 from SF.

Like Russ said -- we are better off making sure our best pitcher gets the most starts, and our worst starter gets the least amount of starts.

Macha himself said that he had Suppan start because of the pressure it would put on Yo and Parra.

It is all well and good that Macha said he wanted to come in without expectations of our players, but this is one case where I think it would have been very beneficial to look at the history and realize that Suppan is our worst pitcher and Yo can handle pressure just fine.

If Suppan ends up getting more starts that Yo, Parra or even Bush --- that puts us at a distinct disadvantage.

I agree on Bush. There is some sense to skipping a start or two of Parra and Gallardo to keep their innings down.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Archived