Brewer Fanatic

2009-04-09 Brewers (Parra) at Giants (Cain): 6:05 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 7-1]

wOOgiE22

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g83/woogie22/2009seasonbanners/startingpitchers.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g83/woogie22/2009season/startingpitchers409.jpg

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g83/woogie22/2009seasonbanners/mediacoveragefsw605.jpg
Live Boxscore | MLB GameDay 2008 | ESPN GameCast
Sportsline GameCenter
| 620 WTMJ Affiliates

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g83/woogie22/2009seasonbanners/gamepreviewsf.jpg

Sportsline Preview | MLB Preview
Brewers Press Pass

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g83/woogie22/2009seasonbanners/pitchingstatssf.jpg

Brewers vs. Cain | Giants vs. Parra
Parra Game Log | Cain Game Log

Brewers Pitching Stats
| Giants Pitching Stats
Brewers Pitching Splits
| Giants Pitching Splits

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g83/woogie22/2009seasonbanners/battingstatssf.jpg

Brewers Batting Stats
| Giants Batting Stats
Brewers Batting Splits
| Giants Batting Splits

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g83/woogie22/2009seasonbanners/standingssf.jpg

Standings
| Wild Card | vs. Giants | vs. Division
Expanded
| RPI

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g83/woogie22/2009seasonbanners/scoreboardsf.jpg

ESPN
| MLB.com | Sportsline | Fox Sports

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g83/woogie22/2009seasonbanners/brewersnewssf.jpg

JSOnline
| Rotoworld | ESPN | Sportsline
Fox Sports
| CNNSI

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g83/woogie22/2009seasonbanners/fansitessf.jpg

Giants Virtual Forum

http://i54.photobucket.com/albums/g83/woogie22/2009season/beatgiants.jpg

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just a reminder, this is last IGT I am doing before turning it over to BF.net users. All the information you need to start the IGT is the "IGT Usability Guide" which is found here. If you have any additional questions just shoot Casey or me a P.M.

The reason I am doing this is that I get too busy and cannot regularly create an IGT. I may sporadically create an IGT throughout the season and I will warn you when that is. Hopefully this is an easy method for creating the thread; and if there are any problems just contact me, I will be around!

If you have any additional questions just shoot Casey or me a P.M.

Additionally, there's now a stickied thread open for discussion and questions:

wOOgiE22 templates being made available to members: questions and discussion

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Thanks for all of your hard work wOOgiE22! It is greatly appreciated
I know "ditto" type posts are discouraged, but I feel woogie deserves it here! Glad to see the woogie mojo will be with us even when woogie can't be, not to mention the sharp look.

Anyway, as for the game, the Brewers have been OK against Cain in the past, as has Parra against the Giants, but both are incomplete small samples. I do believe our offense has enough firepower (even on a bad day like today, they were knocking it around a bit) that we can pull out a series win tomorrow with a decent outing from Manny, who'll have a lot of friends and family out there tomorrow.

I'll be meeting BrewJohn before the game (still trying to find soloist57 out there!) at the Ferry Building. Otherwise, see you at Red's Java House at 1:30, Brewers fans!

I posted something similar at the end of yesterdays blog but I don't know how many people are going back to read it. So far I'm impressed with Macha. I know the casual fan thinks he is a moron for starting Suppan first but it really does make sense. Being that our rotation doesn't stack up 1vs1 2vs2 and so on with other teams, this is brilliant. Why not throw Suppan out as a sacrificial lamb against the other teams ace? It gives every other starter a better chance of winning being that our staff is facing 1vs2 2vs3 3vs4 4vs5 5vs1. I know that after a few off days or a rain out the rotations will all be mismatched anyway but I just believe this gives us a small advantage to start the year.

I posted something similar at the end of yesterdays blog but I don't know how many people are going back to read it. So far I'm impressed with Macha. I know the casual fan thinks he is a moron for starting Suppan first but it really does make sense. Being that our rotation doesn't stack up 1vs1 2vs2 and so on with other teams, this is brilliant. Why not throw Suppan out as a sacrificial lamb against the other teams ace? It gives every other starter a better chance of winning being that our staff is facing 1vs2 2vs3 3vs4 4vs5 5vs1. I know that after a few off days or a rain out the rotations will all be mismatched anyway but I just believe this gives us a small advantage to start the year.
I agree with your sentiments about Macha. Unlike Yost, he seems to have a strategy for every game. With Lincicum, they wanted to work the count and try to get him taken out early, which happened. They also knew they could run on him due to his slow delivery, and it worked. The second game they tried to run on Johnson and Braun got thrown out. No more attempts and no harm done on the base paths. He didn't mess around with pulling Yo last night, and when Stetter walked his hitter, Macha did the right thing and pulled him too. His decisions seem to be based on sound logic and statistics instead of just gut instincts. I do feel a manager can go on his gut every once and a while, but not rely on it like Yost seemed to do.

I think this will be a tough game to win. The pitching match up clearly favors the Giants. Hopefully Macha will have a plan for Cain as well. I have tons of confidence in our offense, even though JJ and Corey haven't looked very comfortable yet, but I could definitely see Manny giving up 4-5 runs though 5 innings.

Raining out there right mow, and is supposed to all day, but it's pretty light and on and off...most people aren't even using umbrellas in it.

Hopefully they get it in, because the leash for a delay won't be very long. I mean, for now it's probably best for the Brewers if they called it early so they could get home and get a couple extra hours of sleep in their own beds, but for selfish reasons I really want to see the game today and who knows how they would have to swing some crazy travel to get it in later this year (and I'd be gutted to have to eat the money for these tickets if the game never happens this year because it doesn't have to).

I'm on my iPhone right now. Staying in Oakland at the moment. Weather doesn't look good. Looks like 80% chance of rain the rest of the day. Gonna be hard to get the game in. Anyone locally know where I can get updates regarding the game happening and what to do if game is cancelled?

Just check sfgate.com, they'll post if it's rained out

As of right now, even if it stays like this all day, I still think they get it in if only based on the schedule issues. I mean, I don't know what the field conditions are like, but if it's under tarp until the game, I think it'll be dry enough to be safe for the length of the game. There's no wind or lightning and the rain is really just drizzling. They might not play today if we were the Diamondbacks and would be coming back to town (or the coast!) another three times, but given the schedule considerations, I think they jam it out.

There is absolutely no talk about a delay or postponement at all anywhere here. In fact, Fitz & Brooks on KNBR are doing their show from the Acme Chophouse at AT&T Park right now, and they mentioned the drizzle, but said the game will happen tonight. Obviously they're not the official word, but they talk to the Giants people right there.

It won't be the best conditions to watch or play in, but I think it'll happen.

I think this will be a tough game to win. The pitching match up clearly favors the Giants.

I disagree with this comment actually~.

I think we match up with Cain ok since he gives up so many flyballs. I think this game could easily go either way. I don't like our matchups at all for the Cubs series so I dub tonight our first 'must win' game of the year!

i like the lineup. Hart needs to get his act together and there is alot more pressure in the 2 hole than the 7. Counsell will always atleast give the brewers a quality at bat. I would rather have Hardy in the 2 spot but lets see what happens.

Re: Hall - has to be matchups, he had a critical double last night...of course it was against a lefty.

I agree with Ennder as well. Tonight's matchup is fairly even...slight edge to Cain over Parra, with an edge to the Brewers lineup offset by the Giants home field advantage. Looks fairly even and going into the game, it should be the best matchup of the series. We'll be dogs in all three against the Cubs...they are throwing their top 3 starters against our bottom 3.

Is April 9th too early for some "Big Boy Time"?

We had a question come up about hidden posts last night. They were generally of the "one word" or "post just to post" variety. On Tuesday, there were quite a few "play by play" posts. Those didn't seem to be an issue last night.

In last night's thread, one thing we talked about briefly was how a bit context helps. There are people who'd like to read the thread a couple of hours later or the next morning. We can help them out with that.

As an example, "That was a SICK curve by YoGa" doesn't mean much by itself. You're going to be wondering, "Which one?" By itself, it's a comment that's better suited for the chat room. This statement does make sense on its own: "Gallardo looked much, much better in the 3rd inning. Curveball is starting to look nasty."

However, if "That was a SICK curve by YoGa" were posted as a response to the more detailed message, there'd have been context:

Member A: Gallardo looked much, much better in the 3rd inning. Curveball is starting to look nasty.

Member B (in response): That was a SICK curve by YoGa

I guess the moral of all this is that when bring up something for the first time, give us a clue what you're talking about. If you're responding to something recently posted, adequate context is likely to exist.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

I just have a funny - well not for me - story re: MLBtv blackout restrictions.

I called MLBtv to get to the bottom of the blackout restrictions, the rules were a bit cloudy to me. Being that I'm not in FSN Wisconsin's viewing area, I have to rely on either a slingbox (currently out of commission) or MLBtv. The woman informed me that coverage of certain teams gets blacked out due to IP addresses. So a poster was correct in that thread that was on the main page. "Ok" no big deal I figured, I'm in Europe, why would my IP address cause a problem? She asked for my zip code, which is an APO zip code, so it's not going to register like a normal zip code would. She then asked for the local postal code, which is 54529. What team came back as blacked out? Of course the Milwaukee Brewers.

*edit - got it figured out now. The dude answered my questions easily, while the woman struggled to understand that I was NOT in the US. All is well now.

Wow I wonder if Yost would have gotten ripped for Braun getting caught stealing third with lefty Prince up or having so many K's and only 3 hard outs last night? Maybe we are forgetting how Simba had Kendall throwing better last year but not this year. That all said big game so let's win series one!

Archived