Brewer Fanatic

How should the Brewers handle Gallardo's innings pitched this year?

yount19.u

Yovani Gallardo pitched 110 innings in '07 and 46 innings in '08 between AAA and the Majors (playoffs included). There are many that feel you need to gradually increase a young pitcher's innings pitched in order to avoid injuries and keep them effective in the future. The theory is that a large jump in IP from one year to the next during a pitcher's developmental years can have a negative effect on health and performance. I agree, but how do the Brewers avoid this with Yo? Do they limit him to 140 IP this year and hope the rest of the pitching staff fills the void? What if he's dealing all year long? Do they just let him pitch and risk his future effectiveness?

If the Brewers are out of contention towards the end of the year, it will be much easier to rest Yo and save him for next season. But if they are still in the playoff race, and Yo is pitching well, it will be very difficult to justify resting their best pitcher. I think a possible resolution would be to skip a start (maybe two) per month, but still use him out of the bullpen in key situations in order to keep him fresh while still helping the team. Any thoughts?

Where did you find that he pitched 110 in '07? I'd have to look for sure, but I'm pretty sure it was 175-180. I'd have no problem with the him going 200 innings this year considering he has had no arm injuries in his past.

Just looked. He had 110 innings pitched as a Brewer in '07. He had about 70 innings in the minors before being called up that year, as well.

Where did you find that he pitched 110 in '07? I'd have to look for sure, but I'm pretty sure it was 175-180. I'd have no problem with the him going 200 innings this year considering he has had no arm injuries in his past.

Just looked. He had 110 innings pitched as a Brewer in '07. He had about 70 innings in the minors before being called up that year, as well.

That's right, he had about 180 total in '07. I just had the numbers for the Brewers.

Is it still a good idea to jump him to 200 IP a year after he did not reach 50? I'm confident that Yo could pitch 200 innings this year and be great. I'm just worried about future seasons.

Archived