Brewer Fanatic

Manitowoc elects 22-year-old mayor

DougJones43

Herald Times Reporter story

My hometown, Manitowoc, has just elected 22-year-old Justin Nickels to be their new mayor. It's a pretty crazy story, especially since his campaign advisor is a good friend of mine, and my former college roommate. There was a link to the story on the Drudge Report today, so I guess it's more noteworthy than I had even realized. Also of note, La Crosse elected a 25-year-old mayor to run their city of over 50,000.

It's a brave new world we live in...

I went to a basketball game at Manitowoc Lutheran high school this winter. We started making fun of one of the officials (amongst ourselves, we weren't heckling him) for looking like a student. The people sitting in front of us said that he was running for mayor and that he had been elected to the city council while still in high school. We thought that was a funny story. Now the guy is mayor.

Archived