Brewer Fanatic

Hunter Pence out 4-6 Weeks

brewers255
Quote:
Hunter Pence will be out four to six weeks with a small chip fracture in his right wrist.

Ryan Braun probably just claimed Rookie of the Year honors. Pence said he'd play today after hurting his wrist during Sunday's game, but the chip fracture was found when an MRI was performed today. The Astros will likely make Chris Burke their full-time center fielder. Craig Biggio could go back to playing more frequently at second base as a result.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playerpages/player_main.aspx?sport=MLB&id=4042

Ryan Braun looks to have ROY. Thoughts?

(clickified link --1992)

While I'm glad this sets up Braun for ROY, I really wish Pence didn't get hurt. I wanted Braun to win that thing flat out. Now people will say "Who knows what would have happened if Pence was healthy" and stuff along those lines. It was becoming so obvious Braun was having the better rookie campaign, it's kind of too bad for baseball there's not two young guns to create a good buzz around the league.

This does suck for the pence and the stros. He was having a great season and gave their fans something fun to watch. As long as Braun keeps playing well, he should win ROY pretty easy now.

on a selfish side note, this really hurts the fantasy team

Both the Brewers and the Cubs have 3 games vs. Astros in this period so should be a wash as far as division goes but Astros have lots of games with WC contenders Padres/Dodgers and so might have slight negative effect on Brewers postseason chances.

Quote:
I know this is a Brewers forum, but that's just plain silly.

No its not, lets be real here and just look at the stats.

Pence 42 R, 12 HR, 45 RBI, 8 SB, .330 AVG, .919 OPS

Braun 43 R, 16 HR, 43 RBI, 8 SB, .345 AVG, 1.062 OPS

Looks pretty close until you factor in the over 100 extra AB's pence has. Braun is blowing Pence away in this race, was considered more of a hitting prospect, is in a better lineup and is on a better team. Pence is not really the concern for Braun, a pitcher most likely is the biggest concern or someone like Tulo who has the big defensive reputation.

100 at bats to cool off in what? AVG? Lets say Braun hits .280 over those 100 AB's, only gets like 15 R, 3 HR, 15 RBI, 1 SB or something, his numbers are still way better than Pences. The only thing that makes these guys even close is the fact Pence started a month before Braun. When you factor in the intangibles of lineup and team quality etc I just don't think Pence was the biggest competition.

Braun isn't going to lose it to another pure hitter, he's going to lose it based on defense or pitching in my opinion.

Oh, Pence getting hurt(and Oswalt for that matter) means the Astros go into sale mode almost for sure, I'd assume that means Jennings gets traded since he's not quite right since the injury. Probably someone like Lidge goes too.

The National League Rookie of the Year thread has been around for 3-plus weeks and has some nice discussion comparing rookies. It's in the designated threads list because it's a great thread to bring back and track how things might change over the course of the rest of the season.

Let's confine this thread to keeping track of any Pence injury news and the implications the Astros are facing while using the ROY thread for the more general stuff.

Gracias! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Quote:
Saying Pence had no shot at the ROY shows a complete lack of respect for Pence. It's very poor analysis.

I'd disagree. Nobody is saying "Pence Sucks," or anything along those lines. But Braun has basically put up the same numbers as Pence in 100 less AB's, as a previous poster pointed out. That's a pretty good analysis. Out of curiosity, what stats prove that Pence should be considered ahead of Braun? Because a side-by-side comparison of their stats shows the contrary.

Gruber Lawffices

Maybe PBIB didn't get to the bottom of the thread before replying? It's a good idea to read all messages before posting, but it's also nice to cut some slack. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif Sometimes it takes a couple of posts for the 'redirect' idea to kick in.

We're all human, PBIB. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Actually, Casey's my dog's name and 1992 is the year he was born. I'd never noticed the coincidence that the number was also the Brewers' last winning season. Good call.

Archived