Brewer Fanatic

My Opening Day Dilemma - - Am I wrong

yount19.u
Ok, here's the situation. My friends and I have all been going to Opening Day together for as long as I can remember. We are all die hard Brewer fans and think of Opening Day as a religious holiday. This year, my wife said that her boss (who we consider a friend), and his brother, would like to come to Opening Day with all of us. The issue is that they are Cubs fans and will of course be decked out in Cubs gear. I said no because it will interfere with our enjoyment of the day. Any other day I can handle it, but Opening Day is once a year and a day that we all look forward to. My wife worries that if we tell them no, her boss will be offended and take it personally. She also can't understand what the big deal is if a couple of Cubs fans join our festivities. Am I out of line?

This would be weird, even without the Cub factor. Would you really be able to have fun with your wife's boss in the mix?

I also think your wife might be overestimating how much her boss cares, one way or the other. If he's a regular guy and a baseball fan, he's going to have fun, regardless.

Tell your wife that you should seperate business and pleasure. If that doesn't work, I vote no to the cubs fans, tell them to go fend for themselves. There will be plenty of other tools there for them to hang out with.

Time for a divorce. Your wife clearly doesn't get it. Tell her to stop sticking her nose into your day.

Actually, you could play this one up. . .

Come to the game dressed as Harry Caray's corpse. Or maybe as Ron Santo with faux artificial legs.

That would be a nice, cheery way to extend an olive branch to the Cubs fans.

i dont see a problem if they arent obnoxious and annoying (there are a couple cubs fans i met that arent...really!). i am sure they will get enough crap from the rest of the parking lots to feel somewhat unwelcome

This year I invited my boss who is a scrubs fan to come to opening day because we have a extra ticket and his GF is my sister. I did not want him to feel left out when me and my sister go and he does not.

I did make it very clear though he will not get a warm welcome from anyone in are group all though we will bed nice to him.

Plus since we got are tickets at the Arctic Tailgate none of are seats are anywhere together. I think the closest we get is on opposite ends of 1 section rows apart

I don't think that Cubs fans attending Friday's game really know what they are getting themselves into.

I agree. I doubt her boss knows what he's getting himself into. I personally can't wait to see the arrest totals for Friday.

Part of me says, "there's no problem if they behave." The other part of me wouldn't want my Opening Day ruined by forceably sharing the experience with Cubs fans.

This year I invited my boss who is a scrubs fan to come to opening day because we have a extra ticket and his GF is my sister. I did not want him to feel left out when me and my sister go and he does not.
What kinda brother are you? C'mon Zach. I have friends who are Cubs fans, and I have an extra ticket for Saturday. I will eat it before I give it to any of them, regardless of how great of people they are when the Chubs aren't in discussion.

To answer your question Yount, does your wife know this may also be YOUR funeral? I would think tailgating with a bunch of Cubs fans while your all decked out in Brewers gear will lead to passer bys putting you down and giving you the business. Who knows, they might think you got them tickets etc. In the game it's a lot less of a deal if you and your wife sit next to Cubs fans. But tailgating, oh boy.

Since you said you consider her boss a friend, have you spent time with him socially before?

We have quite a few times and enjoy hanging out with him. He's even come to a few Brewer games with us. I just take issue with it being Opening Day as want to enjoy it to the fullest. It's hard enough that they're playing the Cubs.

To answer your question Yount, does your wife know this may also be YOUR funeral?

Exactly. The last thing I want is stress at the tailgate party from Brewer fans giving us gruff. There's enough gruff from Cubs fans once you get inside. I think my wife has come to understand my frustration. We're going to just have them meet us down there instead of driving there and back together all the way from Madison. This way I'll save a murder as I was tempted to take Invader3K's advice. At least we're not sitting together at the game.

Say you'll take [the Cubs fans], then run them over when you're supposed to pick them up. That way everyone wins.

Awesome. For future reference for anyone seeking advice, just ask Invader. Then, if you don't like the actual advice he gives you, just go with this standard.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

What kinda brother are you? C'mon Zach. I have friends who are Cubs fans, and I have an extra ticket for Saturday. I will eat it before I give it to any of them, regardless of how great of people they are when the Chubs aren't in discussion.
I am the kind of brother that needs a job right now. I have lots of bills to pay for school and such and I can not afford my job over a Brewers even though it is opening day. The Brewers are very important but more important for me now is paying off bills.

Now I don't think I would lose my job if I didn't invite him but like I said no olive branch has been extended besides the ticket. He is on his own and sitting alone too.

He is not the one that would ever start a fight or argument at all though http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Well, I'm in the minority that if he's a friend who you enjoy hanging out with, he should be able to be a friend who won't be a complete jerk to you as a fan if you do him this favor. I've gone to games with friends who are Cubs fans before, but they're my friends, and we can respect each other. There may be some good natured ribbing, but it's not anything like the majority of the Cubs fans at the game.

Well we got all of are tickets at the Arctic Tailgate so we are all sitting alone http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

We have no tickets together and they are all on the third base side.

Just shortly after we got are tickets they only had obstructed view and SRO left. They started out with only having single seats in Terrace Reserve as the best seat.

Time for a divorce. Your wife clearly doesn't get it. Tell her to stop sticking her nose into your day.

Actually, you could play this one up. . .

Come to the game dressed as Harry Caray's corpse. Or maybe as Ron Santo with faux artificial legs.

That would be a nice, cheery way to extend an olive branch to the Cubs fans.

i don't want to derail this thread (heck, opening day already passed), but this post belongs in the sarcastic AND anti-cubs fan post hall of fames. thank you jim h for delivering swift, completely over-the-top, broadly offensive, sarcastic justice with impeccable timing. you, sir, have made my day.

fie to my friends who in the past have chastised my santo jokes.

Archived