Brewer Fanatic

Your 2009 B.C. Manatees -- Latest: Schafer Sidelined

• Replies 110
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Excellent! Well except of the loss of velocity... I wonder if it's a mechanical thing? Axford added significant velocity through a change in his mechanics, it's just really strange that he dropped 5 MPH in one off-season. It seems like he's dedicated to his craft, and I appreciated his well thought out answers, he'll be easy to root for.

The only problem is, I still don't know how to feel about him... he's obviously got good control, but without picking velocity back up can he make it as a starter?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

The only problem is, I still don't know how to feel about him... he's obviously got good control, but without picking velocity back up can he make it as a starter?
I agree that he sounds very dedicated, hopefully he can find something to add some juice to his game. Cool to hear that his K totals have risen because he added a slider that is already real good. At this point he profiles very similar to Kirk Saarloos. Saarloos, when he was younger, was the rare mid 80 sinkerballer that also struck guys out. He had terrific results in the Minors, but was pounded as a MLB starter. He was a tollerable reliever, but then had some injury trouble.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Interesting comparison. When Saarloos first got his shot in Oakland (after getting thrown into the fire a bit too early in Houston), he was an above-average starter. If we get one season like that out of a 4th round pick, I think we'd all be ecstatic. The good thing for Anundsen in this comp is he still a year younger than Saarloos was when he was drafted. There's still plenty of time for improvement, and it definitely seems like if the increase in velocity doesn't happen, it won't be for lack of effort on Evan's part.

What's some other worst-case-scenario comps, assuming good health and all? Steve Woodard?

Good interview, I really liked his answers as well and I agree he seems really dedicated to baseball and getting better. I have to admit I haven't paid much attention to Evan even with the no hitter but I'll be pulling for him even more now. I gotta agree with thecrew07, pretty easy guy to root for. I'll have a soft spot for him on the velocity issue because it seems like something he thinks about a lot and works on. I was the same way, I could never break the mid 80s barrier, I worked hard, listened to my coaches, etc, etc but couldn't add velocity to save my life. It consumed my mind because 6'5 lefties don't grown on trees but 81-83 doesn't get you noticed by anyone. The good news for Evan though is that he HAS thrown harder, it's a bit of a mystery to me why he can't get it back. Makes me wonder if those 93 readings actually happened. Either way I'm pulling for him.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

We're rockin' the hometown articles lately -- always nice to learn about farmhands we know little of prior...

Link while active, text follows:

A Perfect Fit

Brandon Rapoza makes a quick impact in pro baseball

STUART KORFHAGE, staugustine.com (FL)

VIERA -- A little more than a year ago, local pitcher Brandon Rapoza was just another guy wondering and hoping his name would be on the major league baseball draft list.

In the months since, the former Bartram Trail and Flagler College standout has found himself playing among the best prospects in the Milwaukee Brewers farm system.

And the 31st-round pick has shown he belongs right there.

Playing for the Brevard County Manatees in the advanced Class A Florida State League -- a full-season league -- Rapoza is a respectable 2-1 with a 2.50 ERA with 24 strikeouts and just six walks in 36 innings.

He didn't allow a single earned run through his first 14 appearances.

"He's done outstanding in his first full season of pro ball," Manatees pitching coach Fred Dabney said.

"When it's his time to pitch, he gets it done."

Quick starter

When Rapoza was drafted in 2008 following his senior season at Flagler College, he was sent to the rookie-level Arizona League.

It's the place most high-round draft picks and other younger players usually start. It compares to the Gulf Coast League.

The games are played in front of virtually no fans during the afternoon.

After eight mostly successful appearances there, Rapoza was "promoted" to Helena, another rookie-level team.

Helena is different, though. It's in a more traditional Pioneer League, which has teams in different cities and playing games at night with people actually watching.

"It was just a lot of fun to keep playing," Rapoza said.

"I was very fortunate to get called up from Arizona. I just went there (to Helena) and pitched and had a great time. The atmosphere was a lot better. It felt more like real baseball."

The Brewers had to have liked what Rapoza did in Helena. Over 26 innings in 13 games, Rapoza allowed just three runs for an ERA of 1.03.

Having such success right away allowed to Rapoza to relax and play confidently.

"I was able to play and enjoy myself," he said. "That's all I've been doing. I try to throw as many strikes as possible and get as many outs as possible."

Stage II

After starting at the very bottom of professional baseball, it didn't take Rapoza long to climb a few rungs.

In the Florida State League, Rapoza and the Manatees play at Space Coast Stadium, the same facility used by the Washington Nationals in spring training.

The Manatees enjoy a huge clubhouse and play on a major league caliber field, just with fewer seats.

Players don't get to the Florida State League without showing they're serious prospects.

"This league is a pitchers' league," Dabney said. "The best of the best come to this league. They put on a uniform (here) and they have an opportunity to pitch in the big leagues."

During spring training, Rapoza figured he'd end up in low-A Wisconsin of the Midwest League. But the Brewers moved him along even faster.

"I personally believe I was very fortunate I made the squad," Rapoza said. "When I found out I made it, I was ecstatic. I got to skip the low-A team and get to come here."

Not only is it an advancement, but the assignment to Brevard is convenient.

Playing just two hours from St. Augustine, Rapoza gets to sneak home on off days or go see his fiancee in the Orlando area. And he's been able to play in front of family and friends.

Going somewhere

As much as Rapoza has accomplished already, playing for the Manatees is not his ultimate goal.

He wants to get to the big leagues like everyone else.

If he's going to keep advancing, Rapoza is going to have to continue to develop his command of four pitches.

In a June 24 game at Space Coast Stadium, Rapoza was consistently hitting 88-89 mph on the radar gun.

It's good velocity, but not enough to overpower most professional hitters. He's got to use the curve, slider and change-up proficiently.

"To have success, you have to be pretty consistent with the secondary pitches," Dabney said.

"Brandon does pitch to contact and he does change speeds, which is key to success."

The good outings have certainly outnumbered the bad ones. Rapoza has not allowed an earned run in 19 of 23 appearances so far.

Rapoza is quick to add that he hasn't necessarily been dominant every time he's pitched a shutout inning, though.

But that's part of being a professional and not agonizing over everything.

At this point, Rapoza said he's past worrying about every pitch he throws being scrutinized by scouts. He knows people in the organization are paying attention, but he's comfortable just playing baseball the way he always has.

"It's definitely what I expected," he said.

Dabney said one of his jobs is to try to put pitchers in roles in which they can succeed and in which they have a major league future.

So far, Rapoza has mostly pitched in middle relief with a few chances to finish games.

The important thing for anyone is just to do well when called upon. Dabney said players advance because they produce, not because they received a big signing bonus.

"If you are a big league pitcher, you are going to pitch in the big leagues," he said. "If you have the ability, it doesn't matter how much money you got.

"Once the draft is over, it's over."

Rapoza sees no reason to doubt that. He clearly was not a big-time prospect coming out of college, but Rapoza is pitching on the same team with a lot of players who were drafted ahead of him.

He knows he's getting the same chance afforded those who the Brewers have more invested in.

"They have done a really good job about trying to give everybody an opportunity to showcase their ability," Rapoza said. "They're getting me on the mound a pretty good (amount).

"When it's all said and done, I know I'm going to have done everything I could to make it happen and be happy when I look back on it. And (I'll) feel like I really did do everything; nothing else I could have done."

http://www.staugustine.com/images/070809/30012_512.jpg

http://www.staugustine.com/images/070809/30030_512.jpg

Subscriber-only article from BA on the Manatees, particularly Evan Anundsen and Caleb Gindl; Mike Guerrero on Gindl:

A lot of good players have come through my hand and he's (Gindl) around that upper-tier of players," Guererro said. "The ball jumps differently off his bat. That's the difference between (average and great) hitters. The ball just sounds different off the bat. . . . The kid has one of the best bats that I have seen in a long time."

• 3 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Ticket to fun

Manatees owner, president believe local team is county's top value

BY MARK DeCOTIS

FLORIDA TODAY

Dr. Thomas F. Winters Jr. is an Orlando orthopedic surgeon with a passion for sports and baseball. He indulged that passion in 2005 when he bought the Brevard County Manatees of the Class A Florida State League.

As majority owner, he and partners Dewight Titus and team President Charlie Baumann are responsible for the stadium, running the games, and a percentage of the equipment and travel. The parent Milwaukee Brewers of Major League Baseball's National League are responsible for employment and salaries of the players, coaches and training staff as well as player development decisions.

Winters and Baumann, a former kicker with the NFL's Miami Dolphins and New England Patriots, sat down for an interview at Space Coast Stadium, to discuss the team and their goals and expectations.

QUESTION: What originally interested you in owning a minor league baseball team and buying the Manatees in 2005?

WINTERS: I've had an interest in baseball, my father was with the press, he was the editor of the local newspaper in Norwich, Conn. The press box at the then-Norwich Navigators, it's a Double-A team up there, is named after him. I've always loved baseball. So when the opportunity came up . . . I called my uncle Dewight (Titus) and I said 'hey, let's buy a minor league team.'

Q: What were your goals when you bought the team, and have you met them all? If not, which ones remain unfulfilled?

WINTERS: The goals were, No. 1 to have fun, which we have had. It's a learning experience. Charlie's gotten involved with us with running it so that's been a good situation. Financially, we haven't made money on it yet and because of Charlie, we're losing a lot less than we did when we first started.

BAUMANN: I would like to think we could afford more of Brevard County to come out and experience what we think is a wonderful experience here, affordable family entertainment, and focus more on getting more people here and I think then the business aspect takes care of itself. We're going to continue to develop the relationships we have, we're going to work really hard to develop new relationships -- not only with individuals but the small-, medium and large-sized businesses. Not being numerically focused but more relationship focused and I think it will take care of itself.

Q: How often do you get over here for games and do you walk around and chat with fans and do any housekeeping?

WINTERS: Charlie's over here a lot. I'll come over, I have a busy orthopedic practice so I don't have quite as much (time). I try to get over as much as possible, usually it's on weekends and as we get to the playoffs . . .

Most of the time I'll sit down in the stands, get a chance to meet and talk to people.

Q: How much smarter of an owner are you now than you were when you bought the team?

BAUMANN: I don't think we're any smarter, I think we understand and realize how fortunate we are to be the stewards of this team and we realize it's the county's team, it's the area's team. If we are smarter at all it's listening to a lot of the people here who have tried to help us understand what they're looking for and how to make this a better experience.

Q: The mayor of Palm Bay has proposed building a 2,500-seat capacity ballpark and the Manatees have been the subject of public discussion as a possible tenant. Have you spoken with the mayor? Also, it seems every Manatees opening day brings with it annual rumors that you want to move the team to Orlando. Can you comment on that?

BAUMANN: First of all with Palm Bay, yes we have spoken to the mayor because they're a major sponsor. We've seen the same rumors and news reports that you have. We have a lease here and we're the tenant and we have a good situation. Obviously we'd like more people here. . . .Where all this comes from, what they want to do, I don't know. It could be a number of different scenarios.

I don't know where that (Orlando rumors) came from. Really don't. Never let the truth get in the way of a great story. We're here. We've been here. Every year you hear the rumor, every year we have our first pitch in early April in Brevard County.

WINTERS: When we first bought the team, we're from Orlando, but there's no place to play over there. It's very simple. Look at this facility here. We'd like to have more people in it, obviously. It's the cheapest, best entertainment in town.There's no question that we do have a core of fans. It would be nice to get a lot more people coming out all the time.

Q: Can you speak to the facility, Space Coast Stadium? Do you have what you believe is necessary to be successful?

WINTERS: I think it's a great stadium here. I think part of the problem is you just need more . . . we get a lot of fans come from south of here. It would be nice to get a few more from north of us here. Brevard County, this is the only professional team in town.

Q: Having the Washington Nationals hold spring training here and then leave in favor of a Milwaukee Brewers farm team is not the ideal situation when it comes to a fan base identifying with a team. Have you tried to change that? Have you begun discussing renewal of your contract with the Brewers that runs through 2010? What's status of your sub-lease contract with Nationals?

WINTERS: When we first came on board, the Brewers came to us and wanted to come over here. That was the best situation. They're a great group to work with. The Nationals, they're obviously our landlords here and it's fine. The Nationals wanted to be in Potomac (Class A Carolina League) because they thought it would help with their development up there. Obviously, the first choice, you're right, it would have been a nice situation but when they decided to go to Potomac we were very, very, very fortunate to get the Brewers. They're the nicest organization to deal with.It's just nice people to deal with.

BAUMANN: We have every intention of retaining and building on our affiliation with the Milwaukee Brewers. Everything's wonderful there (Nationals sub-lease). It's something, from a business perspective, we've helped them with their spring training operations in the past and we will continue to do so in the future. It's something that benefits both of us.We share a lot of expenses that without us that they would have to absorb in the summer here -- the utilities, their employees, the grounds crew and everything like that. It also benefits us.

WINTERS: They're (Nationals) the ones who got the new sound system, they got the new scoreboard; all the capital expenditures are a function of the Nationals efforts. We feel very fortunate that they've come in and they've been able to work with the county in doing a lot of the improvements that were really needed . . .-- the seats, a lot of the structural issues that have been addressed. We feel really happy to have them as a business partner.

Q: In Class A ball, good players draw fans but the better the player is the better the chances are he is going to move up. That's the nature of the beast. Also, the better the job the manager does in developing players means the better the team will fare and the better the chances a bunch of players will move up bringing in new players fans are not familiar with. How long did it take for you to become comfortable with this from a business perspective?

WINTERS: You market different things. You market the idea that you're watching baseball, you're watching development. On any team, you're going to have, what four, five, six players who have the potential of making it to majors. The Brewers are a great organization because they draft so well. Look at their Major League level. You've got Ryan Braun, you've got Rickie Weeks, you've got (Prince) Fielder if course. You've got all these guys who came up through.

BAUMANN: There are many nights when the eight position players on the field or even the pitcher, all nine are homegrown, that are Brewers farm system products. So when the players move up they replace them with very high quality players that also come with some notoriety, some pedigree and a lot of ability.

Q: The Manatees won the first half championship and will host playoff games in September. How important is that to the team from the business side?

WINTERS: It helps a lot. We're going to get one or maybe two more games in the first round and two to three more games in the second round. We've already chosen that we want to get games two and three.

Q: Speaking of fans, are you happy with attendance? Also, do you believe the economy has hurt you?

WINTERS: I think the economy has hurt us with the fact that sponsorships are down. Sponsorships, it's just difficult. . . . There's just not the money to spend for people. You're paying $7 for a ticket. As Charlie said: 'Cheaper than a movie and a different ending every night.'

Brevard County Manatees majority team owner Dr. Tom Winters, left, and team president Charlie Baumann mingle with friends and family during last Friday's game at Space Coast Stadium. (Photo by Christina Stuart, FLORIDA TODAY)

http://cmsimg.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=A9&Date=20090805&Category=SPORTS&ArtNo=908050328&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

• 3 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Plate presence

Manatees' Schafer solid with the bat

BY MARK DeCOTIS

FLORIDA TODAY

Brevard County Manatees center fielder Logan Schafer has established himself as one of the Class A Florida State League's most dangerous hitters.

After Friday night's three-hit game against the Daytona Cubs, Schafer leads the league in batting average (.308) is second in doubles (28), third in hits (124), fourth in runs (62) and fifth in total bases (177). Batting first for the Manatees, he has been a key component in the playoff-bound team's success.

Schafer has had a solid season for the Milwaukee Brewers' farm team and he's pleased with it.

But naturally, he believes he can do more and is confident that what he has done and what he is capable of doing will be enough to move him up a rung on the Brewers' developmental ladder.

On his defense

Schafer has been equally as impressive with his glove for the Brevard County Manatees this season, committing just one error in 94 games and 189 total chances in left, center and right field.

"My defense has always been pretty solid," he said. "I don't expect to really ever make an error. I feel like when I'm out there, if I'm paying attention every pitch, getting good jumps and hopefully making good plays, I think errors are pretty unacceptable for someone in my position."

Additional Facts

Schafer's FSL numbers

Batting avg.: .308 (first)

Doubles: 28 (second)

Hits: 124 (third)

Runs: 62 (fourth)

Total bases: 177 (fifth)

Outfielder Logan Schafer of the Brevard County Manatees leads the Florida State League in hitting with a .308 batting average. (Photo courtesy of Brevard County Manatees)

http://cmsimg.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=A9&Date=20090822&Category=SPORTS&ArtNo=908220327&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Rivas Sets Single-Season Wins Record

(Viera, FL) With a dominating performance Tuesday night, Amaury Rivas picked up his 13th win of the season, setting a new single-season Brevard County Manatees record.

Clemente Nunez (1995), Joe Sergent (2001), and Tim Dillard (2005) were the previous holders of the record. Each won 12 games for the Manatees in their respective season.

Rivas shut down Clearwater on Tuesday, allowing just one run on four hits in six innings to lead Brevard County to a 2-1 win. He improved to 13-6 on the season with a 2.74 ERA.

In his last ten starts dating back to July 2, Rivas is 9-1 with a 1.78 ERA. Rivas' outstanding second half has him tied with Charlotte's Jeremy Hall for the FSL lead in wins with 13. He is also third in the league with 120 strikeouts.

Rivas has helped lead the Brevard County pitching staff, which has been the best in the league in 2009. The Manatees lead the FSL in ERA (2.75), strikeouts (925), saves (42), shutouts (17), and fewest hits allowed (811).

Rivas will likely get his next chance to extend the record Sunday at Tampa. If the Manatee rotation stays on schedule, he is likely to make two more starts in the regular season.

Tyler L. Stover

Director of Media Relations

Brevard County Manatees

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Mound masters

Manatees pitchers dominating Florida State League

BY MARK DeCOTIS

FLORIDA TODAY

When it comes to pitching dominance in the Florida State League, the Brevard County Manatees' numbers speak for themselves.

After Wednesday's 14-3 win against Clearwater, the Manatees led the league in:

Earned run average: 2.73

Shutouts: 17

Fewest hits allowed: 818

Fewest runs allowed: 390

Fewest earned runs allowed: 309

Saves: 42

The Manatees also are second in strikeouts (927), holds (44) home runs allowed (44) and walks and hits per innings pitched (1.22).

Also, two Manatees right-handed pitchers -- Amaury Rivas and Evan Anundsen -- are in the top six in individual ERA, Rivas fifth at 2.74 and Anundsen sixth at 2.87. Rivas is tied for the lead in victories with 13, while Anundsen is tied for sixth with nine. Rivas is third in strikeouts (120) and Anundsen eighth (108).

And, Manatees reliever Robert Wooten, who was called up to Class-AA about a month ago, still ranks fourth in saves, a Manatees single-season record at 18.

No wonder the Manatees have secured a place in the first round of the playoffs beginning Sept. 8 and that pitching coach Fred Dabney is a happy man.

But he deflects the credit.

"A lot of success is the process of their development, the pitching coaches they had when they first came into pro ball until they got to me," Dabney said. "These guys (have) tremendous work ethic, great chemistry on the club, especially with our pitching staff. All those things are a huge factor to go along with, obviously, their natural ability."

Rivas and Anundsen, who combined have pitched 347 1/3, or 35 percent, of the Manatees 1,011 1/3 innings this season, have their unique strengths.

"Rivas is a power-type guy, Evan's a keep-you-off-stride, change-speeds, get-you-out-over-your-front-foot," Dabney said. "They're different in both ends. It's fun to watch them go about their business and have the typical same success even though they're two different type pitchers."

But there also are fundamental, yet vital, similarities.

"They are able to repeat their delivery, they have a great feel for their release point, both of them can change speeds very well," Dabney said.

"That's the reason why they're having success."

Speaking of success, Anundsen pitched a no-hitter on April 28, beating Daytona Beach, 1-0, striking out 10 batters en route to his first no-hitter. It was the first in the Florida State League since 2006, and his first complete-game shutout of his four-year professional career.

To Anundsen, who is in his first season of high-level Class-A ball, the highlight of his career seems like light years ago.

"It's been fun," he said. "I have to say I think I've had a pretty smooth transition. It's getting a little bit more difficult here down the homestretch just because it's a long season; wear and tear on the body."

The season also has been a confidence booster.

"I have realized that I've been able to pitch pretty well down here and hopefully it continues on up the ladder."

He said the slider he added at the beginning of the season has taken his game to the next level.

Rivas attributes his success -- he's 9-1 with a 1.78 ERA in his last 10 starts dating back to July 2 -- to a strict workout regime focusing on his rotator cuff, elbow, shoulder and running to strengthen his legs. It's working since he is obviously getting stronger as the grinding season winds down.

"I work out a lot, if you are strong, you finish this year good," he said. "My fastball is consistent, 95, 94, 96. Before, I threw 95 one time."

Rivas throws two-seam and four-seam fastballs clocked in the mid 90s, a change-up and a slider, four pitches that have had opposing batters off stride and outclassed to the extent that his results have been impressive. He has allowed 44 hits, 12 earned runs, 18 walks and recorded 63 strikeouts in 60 2/3 innings pitched in his past 10 starts. He also hasn't allowed more than three earned runs in a start since June 10 against Charlotte, which was the last time he lost a start at Space Coast Stadium.

His 13 victories also set a team record for wins in a season. Clemente Nunez (1995), Joe Sergent (2001) and Tim Dillard (2005) each won 12 games.

Rivas' numbers, like the team's, speak for themselves.

Additional Facts

About Fred Dabney

Born: Nov. 20, 1967, Lawton, Okla.

Pro debut: 1988 (nine seasons)

Career highlight: Pitched no-hitter for Sarasota in 1991

Manatees tenure: Five years as pitching coach

About Amaury Rivas

Born: Dec. 20, 1985, La Mata de Santa Cruz, DR

Height: 6-foot-2

Weight: 189

Bats/throws: R

Pro debut: 2005

Manatees tenure: First full season

About Evan Anundsen

Born: May 17, 1988, Englewood, Colo.

Height: 6-foot-3

Weight: 200

Bats/throws: R

Pro debut: 2006

Manatees tenure: First season

Brevard County Manatees pitching coach Fred Dabney stands between starters Amaury Rivas, left, and Evan Anundsen at Space Coast Stadium before Wednesday's game against the Clearwater Threshers. (Photo by Craig Rubadoux, FLORIDA TODAY)

http://cmsimg.floridatoday.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=A9&Date=20090827&Category=SPORTS&ArtNo=908270330&Ref=AR&Profile=1002&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

Hmmm, Rivas looks to be packing a bit more than the listed 189 pounds...

I think with everything we've learned about Amaury Rivas in the last few weeks, we really need to re-evaluate how we view Rivas as a prospect. He belongs in the top 10. 3 dominant pitches, production, and bigtime workethic, I don't see anything else I need to be convinced he's a big timer.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

If it's true that he's consistently working in the mid 90s, I haven't done him justice since hopping on his bandwagon last season.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

If Rivas is throwing in the 94-96 range consistently, I'm surprised other prospect publications haven't picked up on it more. I had him at #17 on my top 50 list, I think the highest of the P50 editors (to Toby's credit, he changed my opinion of him last year), but I would agree that even I have him too low.

What has bothered me about Rivas is that he is being brought along so slowly. He has done extremely well this year, deserving of a promotion, but they have kept him in A+ all year.

He is not exactly old for A+ but he is isn't young either. 23 is about average for A+. Generally, top prospects are young for their league. I've been hoping the Brewers would have promoted him to AA by now. They obviously want him to keep working on things in A+ otherwise they would have done so already.

Still, this does get me more exciting about him. It will be interesting to see if the Brewers add him to the 40 man to protect him from the Rule 5 draft. That will tell us how high the Brewers are on him.

My opinion is that Rivas will be added to the 40 man this off season. Great to see him perform as well as he has. One reason they have been slow with him was the season he lost in 2007 to a torn ulnar collateral ligament and had "Tommy John Surgery". Still, he's only 23 (will turn 24 in December) so there is plenty of time ahead for him.

Link to Rivas article.

Maybe I'm just a stat nerd but I found this interesting.

Rivas 128.0 IP 102 Hits 39 ER 41 BB 116 SO 1.08 WHIP

Anundsen 128.1 IP 100 Hits 38 ER 39 BB 120 SO 1.12 WHIP

The only differences on the season for these to is that Rivas has given up 9 homers to Anundsen's 2 and Evan has hit 13 batters and Amaury has hit only 3.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

RHP Amaury Rivas, OF's Caleb Gindl and Logan Schafer, and 2B Eric Farris were named Florida State League Postseason All-Stars.

No Evan Anundsen, and if Manatee relievers hadn't been promoted at midseason, we'd see at least one there as well.

Manatees' Manager Mike Guerrero was named a "Coach" -- Fort Myers' Manager was the Manager of the Year.

Archived