Brewer Fanatic

Your 2009 Huntsville Stars

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

"I love him," Stars manager Bob Miscik said. "He's hard-nosed, loves to play. He's got a short, quick bat and uses the whole field."

Apparently not hard enough.

"Dustin Pedroia doesn't have the strength or bat speed to hit major-league pitching consistently, and he has no power......He probably has a future as a backup infielder if he can stop rolling over to third base and shortstop." Keith Law, 2006

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Contributor
"I love him," Stars manager Bob Miscik said. "He's hard-nosed, loves to play. He's got a short, quick bat and uses the whole field."

Apparently not hard enough.

Now he is hard nosed. Not so much last fall. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

Melillo wants a return to majors

One appearance at plate with A's not nearly enough

By Paul Gattis

Huntsville Times Sports Staff, paul.gattis@htimes.com

June 24, 2007.

"Best day of my life," Huntsville Stars infielder Kevin Melillo said.

Sunday afternoon at Shea Stadium, New York Mets vs. the Oakland A's.

The day Melillo's major-league career began - and ended.

He's now tied for the Stars' home run lead with five and swinging the bat as well these days as he ever has in his six-year professional career.

But every day, he thinks about that day as a member of the A's and how to get back to the majors.

After all, Melillo - so far - has among the briefest careers in the majors in history.

One plate appearance - as a pinch-hitter in the eighth inning - that lasted eight pitches is all it was. Melillo walked against former Mets reliever Guillermo Mota. The next day, Oakland sent Melillo back to the minors.

"And once you get a little taste of it, it makes you want to get back that much more," Melillo said. "It's unbelievable."

Melillo is one of four Stars who have played briefly in the majors, received that cliched "cup of coffee." But Vinny Rottino, Drew Anderson and Adam Stern all have their first major league hits.

Melillo is still waiting for his first official at-bat.

"I've always told myself, the first pitch I see, I'm going to come out hacking in the big leagues," said Melillo, a left-handed batter. "The first pitch was a fastball almost in the right-hander's batter's box, so I couldn't swing.

"The next pitch was a change-up and I almost pulled my back out and swung and missed. I fouled a couple of pitches off. I had a good AB."

Stars manager Bob Miscik can only imagine. He spent nine years in the minor leagues as a player, never getting the call to the majors. He retired when he was 30.

"One at-bat would have spurred me on to keep trying for a while," Miscik said.

But will it pay off for the 27-year-old Melillo? He was released in spring training by the Toronto Blue Jays and signed by the Milwaukee Brewers two days before the season began.

He's a second baseman who has adapted to playing both first and third base for the Stars. And he's sizzling at the plate.

Melillo has hit all five of his home runs since May 23, including the game-winner in a 3-2 win Sunday over Birmingham. He's hitting .283 and fourth on the Stars with 26 RBIs.

"I was surprised he hadn't started a little earlier," Miscik said of the home runs. "He just got off to a slow spurt with his power. But they've come in bunches."

June 24, 2007. When the game ended and the Mets won 10-2, Oakland manager Bob Geren handed Melillo the lineup card as a souvenir. It's hanging on the wall of his parents' home in Orlando.

Melillo still likes to look at it. In the Mets' lineup that day were superstars Jose Reyes, Carlos Beltran and Carlos Delgado.

"And over on the other side, it says Kevin Melillo," Melillo said. "It's pretty cool to have that as a keepsake."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Pitcher handy in dual role for Stars

Hatton native back in rotation after stellar bullpen stint

By Paul Gattis

HuntsvilleTimes Sports Staff, paul.gattis@htimes.com

If Donovan Hand pitches in the big leagues some day, he'll remember fondly the 2009 season in Huntsville.

A lot has been asked of Hand, the Stars' unofficial hometown player. And Hand has delivered a lot.

A native of Hatton, about an hour west of Huntsville, Hatton was primarily a starter his first two minor-league seasons. But this year, he's been primarily a reliever.

Now with ace Chris Cody promoted to Triple-A Nashville, Hand is a starter again.

Have arm, will pitch - that's Hand. Anytime, anywhere.

"It's been kind of a swing role for me," Hand said. "Out of spring training, that's what (the Milwaukee Brewers) wanted me to do. They thought it would help me get to the big leagues faster."

And no words are sweeter to a minor leaguer.

"It's been a different role for me," Hand said. "I didn't know what to expect coming out of spring training.

"But it's worked out for me. I've learned a lot. You just come in, do your thing and get out of there as fast as possible."

In 16 appearances for the Stars - 15 out of the bullpen - Hand is 3-1 with a microscopic 1.66 ERA. Only lefty reliever Casey Baron has a better ERA at 1.52.

Hand is expected to make his return to the rotation this weekend at West Tenn.

"He has value in both the bullpen and the rotation," Stars pitching coach John Curtis said. "He's a good guy and a hard worker. I think he's going to be a good pitcher."

As the pitching coach at Single-A West Virginia, Curtis worked with Hand in 2007.

"I kind of anticipated what I would be seeing (this season) and I have not been disappointed," Curtis said.

Hand is the only Stars player from Alabama. He played at Jacksonville State before getting drafted by the Brewers in the 14th round in 2007.

He prepped at Hatton High, the centerpiece of the tiny town in rural Lawrence County that he said definitely qualifies as being "out in the sticks." And Hand is proud of it.

"There are guys here from all over the country and the world," Hand said. "But they don't believe me when I say (how small Hatton is). But a couple of them are going home on an off day with me, and they're going to find out how small it is."

On Hand's traveling roster to Hatton are fellow pitchers Omar Aguilar (who lives near Los Angeles), Robert Hinton (Sarasota, Fla.) and Mike Jones (Seattle).

So who is going to have the biggest culture shock in Hatton?

"Omar," Hand said with a laugh. "California guy, he'll have the biggest one."

Ah, the perils of having a last name too close to that of your hometown:

A native of Hatton, about an hour west of Huntsville, Hatton was primarily a starter his first two minor-league seasons.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Stars' new reliever showing promise on road to majors

Axford is bringing bigger heat than last season

By Brad Shepard

For The Huntsville Times

Just when John Axford had found a home, he had to pack up and leave. And the newest Huntsville Stars relief pitcher isn't disappointed at all.

The 6-foot-5, 195-pound Canadian was called up from High-A Brevard County to replace Juan Sandoval on the Stars roster in time for Thursday's game against Jacksonville. At least for the time being, one of the top setup men in the minors this season also will start out in middle relief.

But a promotion is a promotion.

"I don't care where I pitch, but I'm sure it'll be in relief," Axford said. "This year is the first I've been on the back end of relief, and I like it. It seems to suit me well so far."

Though Axford is in town to take the place of an injured player, the 26-year-old should continue to progress if he keeps pitching the way he has.

He teamed with Rob Wooten who has already set a club record with 15 saves for the Manatees to make one of the most formidable eighth- and ninth-inning tandems in the minor leagues. Setting up Wooten, Axford was 4-1 with a 1.75 earned run average with 39 strikeouts in 25 2/3 innings. Opponents were hitting just .149 against him, and he was recently named a Florida State League All-Star for his efforts.

He bounced around as a starter and middle reliever the past three years, but some mechanical adjustments prior to this season helped Axford add several miles per hour to his fastball. He subsequently wound up pitching in crunch time.

"This year's been a lot different than last year," said Axford, who was 5-10 with a 4.55 ERA, mostly as a starter with Brevard last year. "I did some work with pitching coordinator Lee Tunnell, and the small tweaks he did with me has added about four miles per hour to my fastball."

Now, Axford's heater routinely hits 94-95 and has topped out at 98 That's to go along with a repertoire that includes a curve ball, slider and change-up.

Axford is getting mileage out of all those pitches. That has helped him pitch more effectively than he has since his sophomore year at Notre Dame, before Tommy John surgery derailed a promising career that began with him being picked in the seventh round by Seattle out of high school.

Since then, he basically rehabbed for two years, transferred to Canisius College, signed as a free agent with the New York Yankees and was later picked up by the Brewers. Now, he's just trying to stick with the Stars.

"He's going to come in the middle of games for now," Stars manager Bob Miscik said. "We're just going to hand him the ball, and I'm going to watch."

Said Axford: "I think throwing out of the pen is one of the quickest ways to get to the big leagues, and I'm going to keep working as hard as I can to move up the ladder."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Pressure not a problem

In first year with Stars, Shane Justis delivers big in clutch situations

By Brad Shepard

For the Huntsville Times, sports@htimes.com

While he was in the Dodgers organization, Shane Justis was a play-anywhere, do-everything role player who earned the nickname "The Grinder."

The Huntsville Stars simply refer to their second baseman as "The Gamer."

"He has played as well as he can play," Stars manager Bob Miscik said. "By that I mean it's hard to imagine him playing any better. He's been very consistent, very steady, gets big hits and makes big plays.

"He's just got very good instincts and a winning style."

On a team full of gritty veterans who may not be household names but have their team in first place in the Southern League's North Division, Justis is arguably having the best season of anybody.

After Friday's win against Jacksonville, Justis was second on the Stars in batting average at .320. But Huntsville's No. 2 hitter was second with a .377 batting average with runners on base and a .372 average with them in scoring position.

He also leads the Stars in total bases, doubles and triples and is second in runs and hits. Those numbers are nice, but Justis prides himself on hits such as the ones he collected against Tennessee on the most recent road trip. He belted a grand slam to lead the Stars to a 4-2 win over the Smokies and, in the same series, smacked a two-run, ninth-inning single to give Huntsville another comeback win.

Though it was early in Friday's game, he put all of his generously-listed 5-foot-10, 182-pound frame into a Willie Glen pitch for a three-run homer to tie the game in the third as fiancee Julie watched.

"You want to be able to come through in the clutch because that's what baseball is about," he said. "I've always tried to do that. I think if you went back and talked to some Dodgers coaches, they'd say I've done well in those situations."

Until this year, all of Justis' opportunities came in the Dodgers organization. Though his bat kept him in the lineup most days, Los Angeles' wealth of prospects meant Justis didn't have a home in the field.

He played second base, third base, shortstop and even pitched once, but he's happy to be entrenched at second after coming over to the Brewers organization in the Rule 5 draft prior to this season.

"I like having one place, but I've always been a guy who didn't care to play anywhere," Justis said. "I'm 5-10 on a good day, so I know that is an aspect that'll make me valuable. Watching ESPN and stuff, you see the utility guys are really valuable, especially in the National League."

Justis isn't a utility guy for the Stars. Instead, he is an arguable all-star and everyday second baseman. He plays the game with an intensity that is contagious, and there is no questioning his value to his teammates.

"He's a grinder," said Vinny Rottino, a veteran utility man himself. "He comes to play every day and play hard, and we've got a team full of guys who do that."

Said Justis: "It been great playing with a group of guys who check their egos at the door. People are seeing we may be older and not be prospects anymore, but we play the game the right way."

• 2 weeks later...
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Cool under fire

Holliman comes up big in Sunday's key victory

By Brad Shepard

For The Huntsville Times

As a member of last year's Huntsville Stars, Robert Hinton had been a part of a team that blew a sizable first-half lead to squander a playoff spot. But before Sunday's must-win scenario, the closer noticed something that made him feel like history wouldn't repeat itself.

Despite the team's six-game losing streak, starting pitcher Mark Holliman was reserved and confident in the pregame clubhouse.

"One of the things about Holliman is since he's been in the league a couple years, he was so calm before the game," Hinton said. "That's something I think the guys fed off of. It was just like it was a normal start, and everybody followed suit."

Even after giving up two first-inning runs, Holliman gave the Stars six solid innings in an 8-3 win over Birmingham. Coupled with a Carolina loss, the Stars clinched the first half on the final day.

Holliman improved his record to 5-2 to go along with a 4.64 earned run average, and, more importantly, the 25-year-old pitched his Stars into the playoffs.

"It was a big game, not only for the championship but because we'd lost six games in a row," Holliman said. "Granted, I started out a little slow, but the team picked me up like they always do, and I settled in and we got a big win."

Holliman's start - shaky at first, then strong - mirrored his season thus far. In his first four starts with the Stars after coming to the Milwaukee organization from the Cubs in the Rule 5 draft, Holliman had no record but carried a 7.79 ERA. He had allowed an inconsistent 2008 season bleed into this year.

The former Ole Miss standout and third-round draft pick began last year in Triple-A Iowa, but when he got off to a rough start, he was sent back down to Tennessee. His season spiraled.

"When they sent me down, I felt like I'd already accomplished all that I needed to on that level," said Holliman, who was 10-11 with a 3.57 ERA, which included a seven-inning no-hitter against the Stars in 2007. "So, I wasn't as focused as I needed to be.

"The biggest difference this year is I'm not worried about anything off the field, and I've regained that focus I had back in 2007."

In Holliman's case, it was high-school sweetheart and wife of two-plus years, Jessica, who helped him regain that quiet confidence that he enjoyed throughout college and his early minor league seasons.

She has been with him since their days at Germantown High School outside of Memphis and also when he was a star at Ole Miss. So, she can read what the coaches can't.

"She sees more emotion because she knows me better than anybody," he said. "I've actually learned a lot about myself and my reactions to things talking to her after the game.

"She's not going to baby it up for me. She's going to give it to me straight, and that's what I need."

Holliman was what the Stars needed on Sunday to stop the slide, calm the nerves and pitch a solid game that allowed the hitters to do the rest.

"He's got a great veteran approach out there," Hinton said, "and we needed it."

Braddock overcoming physical, mental hurdles

Adam McCalvy

Brewers pitching prospect Zach Braddock has been healthy this season, both in body and mind, and some promising results have followed.

The Brewers promoted Braddock to Double-A Huntsville on Wednesday after the left-hander posted a 1.14 ERA and 40 strikeouts versus just four walks in 14 relief appearances at Class A Brevard County. Opponents hit .143 against the hard-throwing Braddock.

Braddock has been limited by physical injuries since the Brewers drafted him in the 18th round of the 2005 Draft and by a bipolar disorder that requires medication. But in terms of pure "stuff," he's a bona fide Major League prospect.

"He can dominate," Brewers assistant general manager Gord Ash said. "There have been a number of reports this year [that say] he could pitch in the big leagues. He has that kind of dominating stuff. Obviously, being left-handed helps. It's a matter of being consistent, like it is with a lot of young guys."

Assuming he stays physically and mentally healthy, Braddock could move fast through the system. He turns 22 on Aug. 23.

"Which is why we moved him to Double-A, to get him to that next level," Ash said.

Club officials help "monitor" Braddock, Ash said. That involves making sure he takes the proper medication at the proper time.

"He's in a very good spot," Ash said. "He's monitored, and he's had no issues at all. ... He's in a good place."

Braddock has been limited by physical injuries since the Brewers drafted him in the 18th round of the 2005 Draft and by a bipolar disorder that requires medication.
Whoa.

I did not realize that Braddock was bipolar. I would say that greatly decreases his chances of success - especially in Milwaukee. I've known several bipolar individuals and can't imagine how they would deal with the pressure of being a pitcher in Milwaukee.

I did not realize that Braddock was bipolar. I would say that greatly decreases his chances of success - especially in Milwaukee. I've known several bipolar individuals and can't imagine how they would deal with the pressure of being a pitcher in Milwaukee.
Because fans in Milwaukee are worse than San Fran, or NY, or Boston? Why would his chances be worse in Milwaukee?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Braddock's dealt with this for a few years now, and with the help of the organization, seems to have it well managed.

Now, the question I wish Ash would have addressed is, will Braddock be working up into a starting role, or do the Brewers see his future best in the bullpen? To me, it seems to be the latter. I would assume, if thats the case, they're doing it to protect his elbow. The Brewers don't develop many pitchers as relievers, so this would be a bold decision for them.

If he is a reliever, we could see Braddock in Milwaukee later this year.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Booing their own players? Again how are Milwaukee fans any worse than most of the large market fan bases or Philly for example? The fans made Rolen a scapegoat for everything on those Philly teams he played for...

If Braddock becomes a reliever I'll be supremely disappointed, but I guess as long as he has a successful career who am I to judge?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Booing their own players? Again how are Milwaukee fans any worse than most of the large market fan bases or Philly for example?
I didn't say Milwaukee was the worst. I said Milwaukee has developed quite a reputation for booing their own fans. I don't even think that is debatable. Last year, I believe, there were quotes from a number of players regarding the frequent boo birds at Miller Park.

Did we know Braddock was bipolar before? I could find anything else anywhere on the internet.

I didn't know that Zach was bipolar before the article either, but my point is what fan base isn't quick to turn on a player? Especially with the proliferation of blogging, opinions spread like wild fire. I was one of the people who didn't want to acquire Greinke given his mental history, I couldn't have been more wrong about that. My primary concern for him is if he starts or relieves, not if the fans of Milwaukee will get to him.

- Plato

- Plato

I cannot find anything about that situation with Braddock, either. If that is the case, I actually think it is a huge positive. If you can overcome that hurdle and the physical ones and pitch the way he has, that's a testimony to his mettle.

BP disorder is a brutal condition, that can successfully be managed by medication and counseling. With a kid like Zach, I think the bigger focus should be on the physical aspects, as his struggles have always been related to his elbow & shoulder (normal for pitchers).

Just as an outside observation, does Bi-Polar disorder give you that intangible edge as a pitcher? I don't know, but whatever this kid is battling, you have got to admit after the elbow revision, he has been nothing short of spectacular this season...everything we have hoped for since flashing that brilliance over the last three seasons.

A couple of side notes. I have note given up on Rogers, Jeffress, Aguilar & Periard. I also am very pleased with the likes of Butler, Cody, Axford, Green, & Wooten. I feel like there is a lot of talent top to bottom in our farm system (Thanks Jack Z)--which I hope equates to happy times ahead for BrewCrew fans.

Yes.

Milwaukee has developed quite a reputation for booing their own players. (And deservedly so, just ask Ben Sheets or Derrick Turnbow)

NO ONE IS TOUGHER ON IT'S OWN PLAYERS THAN PHILLY, TRUST ME...that has nothing to do with BP disorder. This kid comes in with bases loaded and K's the side...come on...BP is more about depression than being fragile on the mound, the kid is a gamer and I think it gives him an edge.

BP is more about depression than being fragile on the mound, the kid is a gamer and I think it gives him an edge.
Well, depression is part of it, but that hardly sums it up. Rather than speculating about how it affects him, I'm content to note that he's obviously managing it well so far, so why be pessimistic?

All finding this out about Braddock only makes me respect him more. It is not easy to to play athletics when you have some type of emotional problem like bipolar disorder, dysthymia, or another type of depression disorder. For a pitcher more so because if things start to go wrong you can really lose it out there on the mond. It's awesome that that the Brewers are right on top of it helping him control. Kind of have to but thats still good.

As for not being able to be that successful because of it at the major league level thats crazy. Milwaukee isn't that horrible of a place to play and he is a top prospect it will take a lot of sucking for him to start getting boo'd. I'm not worried at all about it.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Dazzling Double-A debut

Elbow woes forgotten, Braddock adjusts to role as set-up man

By Bill Bryant, Huntsville Times Sports Staff

Zach Braddock didn't arrive in town Wednesday covered in bubble wrap. But the 21-year-old's left elbow might as well have come with a tag that read "Handle With Care."

The Brewers' 12th-rated prospect according to Baseball America has the numbers to justify the midseason call-up to Huntsville - including a this-is-not-a-misprint 10-to-1 strikeout-to-walk ratio at Single-A Brevard County in 24-plus innings. But like the Steuben glass egg Guido keeps from Tom Cruise in "Risky Business," it's a little fragile.

"He's a considerable talent," said Stars pitching coach John Curtis, who worked with Braddock a couple of years ago when the two were at Single-A West Virginia. "When you see him you realize how close he is to being a major league pitcher. But health is of the utmost concern with him - the big thing for him is staying healthy."

Braddock underwent Tommy John surgery as a 16-year-old high schooler in New Jersey. He's also been shut down early in two of his three minor-league seasons.

After last year, he had more work done on his elbow, mainly to clean up scar tissue.

"One thing about having (Tommy John surgery) so young, it almost geared me to learn about the science and mechanics of pitching," Braddock said. "I looked into the whole kinesiology thing and thought about going into that if pitching didn't work out. I wanted to know why I got hurt.

"The truth is, I played a ton as a kid and it was just wear and tear that did it. I was always throwing."

Huntsville didn't waste any time putting Braddock to the test. He entered the seventh inning of Thursday night's game against Chattanooga with runners on first and second and one out. He quickly recorded a strikeout and flyout to get out of the jam, then struck out two more in a scoreless eighth.

Oh, and he also hammered a grand slam in the bottom of the seventh in his first professional at-bat in the Stars' 12-1 victory.

All along, Braddock has had the stuff for success. As he grew into his 6-foot-4, 230-pound frame, his fastball went from the high-80s to the low-to-mid 90s and his slider - which is considered one of the best in the entire Milwaukee organization - became that much more effective.

After being selected by the Brewers in the 18th round of the 2005 draft, he went 3-1 in his second year with a Bob Gibson-like 1.15 ERA in nine starts for West Virginia, making the South Atlantic All-Star team in the process. But at the first sign of elbow discomfort, the club put him on the shelf.

Last year at Brevard County, he started 11 times but struggled with pain and control - his ERA jumped to 5.51 - and he eventually made the move to the bullpen for his rehab.

"It's a little bit different. Instead of setting the tone you're often looking to put a stop to something," Braddock said. "(Last year), I guess they liked what they saw."

He's been strictly a reliever this year, mainly as a set-up man. Though Curtis said starting "may creep back" into Braddock's future, he'll likely have the same role with Huntsville.

"With the fastball and slider he's got, he has a shot at mowing people down," Curtis said. "But he'll be on a pitch count and he'll very rarely be brought back the day after he pitches. He's more than willing to do whatever we ask of him."

Given the way the organization has watched over him as he's dealt with his various health issues, Braddock said that's only fair.

"They've taken good care of me," he said. "I just want to give them something back in return."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

It's absolutely fantastic that the Huntsville Times has said, "you know, we really don't need game recaps, let's do an interesting player profile nearly every day whil the team is at home" -- good stuff...

Game stress not big deal

Past experiences build confidence in new Stars reliever

By Brad Shepard

For The Huntsville Times

Last year at this time, Rob Wooten was pitching in front of nearly 30,000 fans in Omaha, Neb., while millions of home viewers watched his North Carolina Tar Heels in the College Baseball World Series.

Back home in tiny Fremont, N.C., the Huntsville Stars relief pitcher also had a day set aside in his honor.

So, pardon Wooten if Thursday's Double-A debut in front of 2,023 fans at Joe Davis Stadium didn't exactly birth belly butterflies. These days, it's tough to get him rattled - and that's exactly why he's mowing through the minors.

"I think his makeup sets him apart," Stars pitching coach John Curtis said. "There aren't a bunch of guys out there confident with the weight of the game on his shoulders.

"He relies on command, action and conviction. He just believes he's going to shut the other side down, and that's important."

Since being chosen in the 13th round of the 2008 draft, Wooten has dominated. The former Tar Heels closer who set an NCAA record with 47 appearances as a junior turned around his college career when UNC pitching coach Scott Forbes worked on lowering his arm slot after his freshman year.

The minor mechanical adjustment put a frustrating two years of an injury (torn labrum) and inconsistency behind him. Since being drafted, Wooten has proven he's a polished professional.

After brief but successful stops in rookie ball and Low-A, Wooten set a High-A Brevard County saves record in half a season this year, converting 18 of 19 opportunities. He was 1-1 with a 1.20 earned run average with 44 strikeouts and 13 walks in 30 innings, and Baseball America recently named him as one of the Brewers prospects on the fast track to the majors.

In his Huntsville debut Thursday, Wooten allowed a hit, induced a groundout and closed the game with two strikeouts.

"I have to say pitching in an environment like I did in college and playing in crucial, nerve-wracking situations definitely prepared me for what I'm doing now," he said. "When you're pitching in front of 30,000-plus, it's the closest you can get to major-league competition."

Less than three weeks ago, he and set-up man John Axford sat in the Brevard bullpen talking about making it to the bigs. Axford was promoted to Huntsville and wasn't here two weeks before getting promoted to Triple-A. Now, Wooten has taken a step up, too.

"He called me the night I got moved up and congratulated me," Wooten said of Axford. "I asked him where he was staying in Huntsville, and he said, 'Well, this is where I was staying, but I'll be gone tomorrow. I'm going to Triple-A.' That's pretty exciting for me."

Though he doesn't have an overwhelming fastball, Wooten showcases a repertoire that includes an 88-90 mph fastball, a cutter, slider and a wicked split-finger that's his out-pitch against left-handed batters.

He has confidence to throw any of those pitches in any count, and it's that fearlessness that makes him valuable.

"He's not a 'fireball closer' like Bobby Jenks," Curtis said. "He's closer to a Trevor Hoffman."

Wooten gushes at the possibilities of one day being a big-league closer.

"We all know Trevor Hoffman is getting a little bit older, but he's the greatest closer of all-time," Wooten said. "Filling his shoes would be extremely difficult, but if they gave me that opportunity, I'd be the happiest guy in the world. But then again if they just wanted me to get one out, I'd still be the happiest guy in the world.

"It seems like three or four years ago, I was wondering, 'What am I going to do with my life because it sure won't be baseball,' and one minor change, and here I am."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Love of game lifts Raburn

Stars infielder keeps upbeat after toiling nearly decade in minors

By Brad Shepard

For The Huntsville Times

Nearly every night before he goes to bed, Stars utility infielder Johnny Raburn calls his 5-year-old son Jace in St. Petersburg, Fla., to tell him about the most recent game.

"He asks me did we win and did I get a hit," Raburn said. "If I did, he says, 'Good job, Dad.' If not, he tells me to, 'Watch the ball, swing hard and hit a home run.' "

Raburn smiled big at that. In his nine-year minor league career, the 30-year-old has five total home runs. He has long since passed potential prospect status, and he is batting .235 with seven RBIs in a part-time role this year. But he isn't giving up anytime soon.

His wife of six years, Heather, works in marketing for minor league baseball, and she doesn't want Raburn to stop playing. She knows the business, and he said that helps matters considerably, especially considering he rarely gets to see her and his son throughout the season.

"She's been extremely supportive," Raburn said. "I've thought about starting a new career, but she wants me to make it as much as I do. I'm fortunate to have found somebody who supports and encourages me to continue my aspirations of playing.

"I'll keep a uniform on as long as they keep handing them out."

Over the course of his career since being drafted in the 16th round by the Angels after his junior year at the University of South Florida in 2001, he's worn plenty of them.

From the Angels, Raburn went to the Brewers to the Rays to the Marlins back to the Rays and is now on his second stint with the Brewers organization. He has played in nine cities and for three different Southern League teams - Jacksonville, Montgomery and Huntsville. He also played for the Stars in 2004 when he hit .248 with 16 steals.

"There's not much of the country I haven't seen," Raburn said.

Even though he doesn't necessarily excel at anything, Raburn has earned the praise of Stars manager Bob Miscik because of what he does well.

"His on-base percentage is respectable (.373 entering Saturday) even though his batting average isn't that great," Miscik said. "He's a gamer. It's the little things that make him valuable."

On Friday, it was the big things. He went 3-for-3 with three RBIs and two runs scored to help the Stars to a 9-3 win over Chattanooga and earned another spot in the starting lineup for Saturday. When he picked up his phone to tell Jace, he remembered his son had to get up early, so the news had to wait till the morning.

Jace was just as excited.

"Unfortunately, I haven't been able to see him as much this year because of how the economy is," Raburn said of his son. "He came opening week, and he loves going out on the field, and I love him being there.

" 'For love of the game' is an old clich, but as long as this season is, how long I'm away from my family and especially with the money we make, you have to love the game to keep going, and I do."

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Formal press release should be forthcoming --

6 Stars named Southern League all-stars

Posted by Paul Gattis, Huntsville Times

Six members of the Huntsville Stars were named to the Southern League all-star team today while a seventh player had to bypass the honor because of a promotion.

The Stars, champs of the North Division in the first-half, had the most selections among the North Division, announced today by the league.

Outfielder Adam Stern, second baseman Shane Justis and catcher Jonathan Lucroy were the position players selected in a vote by league media, coaches and general managers. Pitchers Donovan Hand, Casey Baron and Robert Hinton were also chosen.

Outfielder Drew Anderson was also chosen for the team but he was promoted to Triple-A Nashville on Sunday.

The Southern League all-star game will be July 13 at Hoover's Regions Park.

Archived