Brewer Fanatic

Tracking Wisconsin natives

Not entirely sure if this thread has come up before, but just thought it would be cool to track fellow Wisconsinites as they make their way to the Majors. I attended UW-Whitewater and during my tenure as Sports editor of the student newspaper, I witnessed approximately five players make their way onto Minor League clubs. Only one of the five are still in the Minor Leagues while the other four have long retired due to injury or their stock unfortunately topped out in Class A.

I am facebook friends with Greg Reinhard, who was our workhorse starter for the Warhawks during their National Championship season, and I chatted with him awhile back and he anticipates to be a part of the Iowa Cubs. What is more odd about this Marinette, Wis. native is he was the then-Devil Rays 6th round pick that June and then dealt to the Cubs for the Jae Kuk Ryu, the pitcher who was arrested for killing a bird before a game.

I checked Reinhard's stats from last year and they seem fairly solid and his pitching lines improved after his promotion to AAA Iowa from AA West Tennessee. His teammates, Ryan Callahan and Kevin Tomasiewicz during that National Championship are out of the Minor Leagues after a couple seasons. Reinhard is not on the Cubs 40-man roster yet, but depending on how his season with Iowa goes, there could be a chance he could be a September call-up when rosters expand and a potential injury or two occurs.

Callahan signed with the Giants as an undrafted free agent the summer Reinhard was drafted and after three seasons in the Minors, he returned to UW-Whitewater to be the team's pitching coach. Tomasiewicz was drafted in 26th round by the New York Mets but I am not entirely sure what happened with his career. But Reinhard told me Tomasiewicz is out of baseball.

In my early days, outfielder Travis Van Zile retired after his first season with the Diamondbacks system following an injury. Brady Endl's career was shortened with the Braves system following a series of injuries. There was speculation they may have overworked Endl and caused a career-ending shoulder injury.

BA shows that Adam Frost (St. Norbert, Sobieski, WI) was released by the Tigers. Frost was drafted last year in 21st round.

Talk about not getting a shot. 141 total AB's. True he didn't dominate at low level Gulf Coast League but he wasn't awful (.277/.328/.402) either and that was in just 112 AB. Then when they needed a fill in at High A Lakeland, Frost more than held his own (.241/.313/.586) with 2 HR in just 9 games.

Hope he catches on elsewhere or tears up an indy league somewhere.

I guess he's not technically a minor leaguer anymore, or won't be soon, but if you didn't catch it, Jordan Zimmermann won the 5th rotation spot with the Nationals this season. This Auburndale, WI native attended UWSP and is rated as the #1 prospect in the Washington system by BA. He's going to begin the season on the AAA roster as the Nationals don't need a 5th starter for a couple weeks.

(I apologize if this has already popped up in a thread somewhere else, but I don't recall seeing it)

RHP Daryl Maday was drafted by the Brewers and not signed out of Westosha Central High School in Kenosha county. He then went on to pitch at Arkansas and was drafted by the Giants.

He has earned a spot on the rotation of the Giants AA team, the Connecticut Defenders after posting very solid numbers between A, A+ and AA last season. I have known him a long time, and wish him the best.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/minors/player.cgi?id=maday-001dar

• 2 weeks later...

Seems worth noting that Jason Jaramillo (Racine) is getting regular playing time with the Pirates while Ryan Doumit is hurt.

Also, Chris Mehring is tracking WI natives on his Rattler Radio blog and has a note, among others, about Korey Feiner (Sun Prairie) on the DL with the Carolina Mudcats (AA- Southern League, Reds).

• 2 weeks later...

hey jeybird, I'm really pulling for Greg to make it to the majors...

His wife and my wife are teachers at the same school and I have met him personnally... even attended their wedding..

with how shaky the Cub's pen has been his shot could be coming up....

You knew me as Myday2001.

• 3 weeks later...
Jason Berken got the win in his pro debut vs. the Blue Jays. In responding to the previous person about Kevin Tomasiewicz from UW-Whitewater, he started the 2008 year in high A and got released. He had played in AA in 2007 but only for 14 innings. He was picked up in the Independent Leagues with a team in Fargo-Moorhead and got traded to the team in Gary, Indiana. He then called it quits after seeing how it was in Gary.

Adam Frost update: Frost is the youngest player on the Winnipeg Goldeye roster by more than 2 years. With just a half season of pro experience mostly in the lowest class Gulf Coast League in 08, he's among the most inexperienced players in the Northern League that is full of experienced pro players. Still, he's forcing his way into the lineup by hitting .382/.400/.529 in his first 34 AB's.

It's still puzzling why Detroit would draft him in the 21st round in 08, then give up on him so quickly but if he keeps raking in the Northern League, some team (Brewers?) should find a spot for him back in affiliated ball.

• 4 months later...

Adam Frost was listed as #2 Indy League prospect by BA. Earlier he was named Rookie of the Year in the Northern League. Quoting BA "Frost played second base and third base before eventually settling in as Winnipeg's everyday shortstop where he held his own as a 22 year old in a league filled with veterans." They questioned whether he could stick at SS in affiliated ball, but speculated his 60-65 speed (Frost stole 30 bases in 38 attempts) on the 20 to 80 scouting scale may fit as a center fielder.

Someone from DePere (Frost played at St. Norbert) asked in the chat whether Frost would be picked up and what level he would play at in affiliated ball. The response indicated he was highly likely to be signed and that he was still young enough to play A ball somewhere.

Given the struggles of many at Appleton last season, I would think the Brewers would be looking around for guys to play at Brevard next year. They need not look far to find Frost.

edit 10/30, Frost was signed by the Royals. Best guess is he ends up playing for Wilmington in Carolina League next season.

Erik Cordier pitched for Southern Door and was drafted by the Royals in 2004. Didn't really get anywhere with Kansas City and had Tommy John I believe. He was traded to Atlanta for Tony Pena Jr a few years ago and just finished the year at High A Myrtle Beach. Depending where you look he is considered a top 10 prospect for the Braves.

My only interest in him is because I played a playoff game against him in high school. It was pretty neat to be at a game with plenty of scouts in attendance.

Archived