Brewer Fanatic

Your 2009 Timber Rattlers -- Latest: OF Erik Miller interview & RHP Trey Watten update

bnedaddy

New roster just released looks interesting I can't wait to see Lawrie and Dykstra I got season tickets for Bang for you buck nights. Including 7 of Baseball america's top 30 in the orginization Lawrie, Dykstra, Scarpetta, Peralta, Nieves, Fredrickson, and Adams. Probably a good chance that Odorizzi makes it to Wisconsin at sometime during the season should be a very good pitching staff.

click here.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Press Release: Lawrie & Dykstra Headline 2009 Timber Rattlers

Highlights of the 2009 Timber Rattlers:

The infield is led by the Brewers 1st round pick in the 2008 draft (16th overall), Brett Lawrie. After signing with Milwaukee, Lawrie participated with the Canadian National Team in the 2008 Summer Olympics in Beijing, China. The 3rd best Brewers prospect according to Baseball America will be making his professional debut with the Timber Rattlers.

After spending two years as a pitcher, Brock Kjeldgaard (34th round 2005) was converted to the infield and was a Pioneer League All-Star for Helena in 2008 after hitting 27 doubles and 14 home runs. INF Michael Marseco (11th round 2008) hit .311 in 40 games for Helena.

OF Cutter Dykstra was a 2nd round pick of the Brewers in 2008. Rated as the 7th best prospect for the Brewers, he is the son of former Major Leaguer Lenny Dykstra. Cutter is joined in the outfield by Erik Komatsu, Milwaukee's 8th round pick in the '08 draft. The Cal State Fullerton product batted .321 for Rookie Helena last year.

OF Michael Vass (35th round 2008) is no stranger to Time Warner Cable Field, having played for Chapman University in the 2008 NCAA Division III Championships. He hit .333 (4-12) with 4 RBI for the Panthers in their three games in Appleton.

The pitching staff features eight players drafted in the top twelve rounds of the MLB Draft, including 2008 Supplemental 1st rounder LHP Evan Frederickson and 2008 2nd round choice RHP Cody Adams, as well as five members of the Brewers top 30 prospects, led by RHP Cody Scarpetta at number 15. RHP Wily Peralta (#22), LHP Efrain Nieves (#23), Frederickson (#24), and Adams (#28) also made the Baseball America list.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

R.J. Seidel on the disabled list to open the season.

27 active players? Unless MiLB has adjusted roster limits at low-A, thought it was 25.

Newcomer RHP Jim Henderson is a vet of AA and even a bit of AAA with the Cubs. He can't be long for low-A.

I'm bummed about Dennis not making the roster, too. Erik Miller must have had a really good spring - congrats to him. He has a lot of physical potential.

We got our answer about Odorizzi and Lintz (and Wawrzasek and Billings, et al) - looks like the glut of pitching will keep them in extended spring training. I don't think that's a bad thing.

Should be an exciting team to watch.

This team looks great. Imagine a best case scenario here, especially on the pitching side. Strong well rounded offense too. I can't wait to buy my tickets. There might be some quick promotions so I'm going to concentrate on early season games.

Starting line-up In guessing:

C Zarraga

1B Kjeldgaard

2B Lawrie

SS Marseco

3B Treja

LF Komatsu

CF Dykstra

RF Vass

SP Fredrickson

SP Adams

SP Scarpetta

SP Peralta

SP Nieves

Disappointed that Odorizzi, Lintz won't be up right away but it probably won't be long before they get called for early promotions

I'm really excited to see Treja, Dykstra, Lawrie, Zarraga, Peralta, Scarpetta ,Nieves, mixed with Odorizzi and Lintz some time this season

---I see them as the next wave to move up together though the system(Lawrie will prob move ahead a litttle bit faster). Guys like Adams, Fredrickson, Komatsu I think will all be in promoted by all-star break

Hmm, at least Trejo and Lawrie are in the infield. Here's hoping a couple of pitchers move up to make room for the kids.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Titans take on Timber Rattlers April 7

The UW Oshkosh baseball team will play the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers in a five-inning exhibition game at 3 p.m. April 7 at Time Warner Cable Field at Fox Cities Stadium in Grand Chute. The competition is part of the Timber Rattlers' annual Fan Fest Celebration.

The Timber Rattlers, a Class A minor league affiliate of the Milwaukee Brewers, will supply the pitchers and catchers for both teams. The Titans will play defense and use wooden bats in lieu of their customary aluminum/composite bats.

UW Oshkosh's baseball program long has been a producer of professional talent, including former Timber Rattlers Sean Parnell and Korey Feiner as well as major leaguers Jack Taschner of the Philadelphia Phillies and Jarrod Washburn of the Seattle Mariners.

The Timber Rattlers' Fan Fest Celebration begins at noon and concludes at 6 p.m. The event also includes free pizza, hot dogs, soda and popcorn; a tour of the stadium; and a player autograph session following exhibition game.

We got our answer about Odorizzi and Lintz (and Wawrzasek and Billings, et al) - looks like the glut of pitching will keep them in extended spring training. I don't think that's a bad thing.
They're all 19 year-old kids. They don't have any business pitching in 25 degree weather right now, especially after they've been pitching in Arizona weather. No need to rush them. At least as a former pitcher, that's the way I see it. Helena's staff will be loaded though!

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Chris Mehring with news of how the Timber Rattlers' starting rotation and piggyback system is going to shape up to start the season

THU: RHP Cody Scarpetta/LHP Efrain Nieves

FRI: LHP Evan Frederickson/RHP Trey Watten

SAT: LHP Dan Merklinger

SUN: OFF DAY

MON: RHP Wily Peralta/RHP Cody Adams

TUE: RHP Michael Bowman

Further details in the link to his post above.

Just a few impressions from the scrimmage.

-It was cold, but at least not as cold as the last 2 Fan Fests, in which I remember snow. Wind was the problem more so than the cold. While sunny, Temp was in the mid to upper 40's, but the wind was 20mph, with gusts in the 30s.

-I know he's an uber prospect, and I'm sure he'll rake in his short time in Appleton...but Lawrie's batting stance worries me a little. He has a little wag of his bat, and as the pitcher is halfway through his windup, Brett takes one more wag. It seems like that takes perfect timing, and if he doesn't time it right, he seems to be behind the pitch. Obviously, this is a super small sample and I only saw 3 at bats, but it reminds me of how Weeks struggled with his wag and getting his timing down. His wag is in no way close to as violent as Weeks' is, but I wonder if it will still be something he'll have to work out in pro ball. That said, he does seem to get very good wood on it when he squares it up, and I noticed Randy Winn had similar bat movement in today's Brewers game, and that didn't stop him from hitting a home run. Sigh.

-I really, really liked Brock Kjeldgaard's approach at the plate. He's 23, and after his dominate performance in Helena last year, I suspect he'll be one of the first call-ups to Brevard.

-The guy I think took the best swings today was Michael Vass. It was a tough day to drive the ball, between the cold and the wind, but Vass had some good swings and I believe he was the one that doubled off the wall in left center, which was the best hit ball of the game.

-Got a chance to talk to Lawrie, only for like a minute, but he seemed like a nice enough kid, and seemed to have a good rapport with his new teammates. He's not a very tall kid, so unless he really bulks up and slows down, I don't see him "outgrowing" second base anytime soon. He actually made a very nice play on a slow chopper that he charged and flipped to first in time to get the bang/bang out. If he doesn't make that play, a run would have scored.

-Tough to judge the pitchers on a day like today. I also missed when some of the changes were made, so I forgot to keep track of who was giving up what, but obviously the Oshkosh hitters didn't do much, and I think only managed one hit (I think it was technically 2, but one was by the T-Rat catcher who was hitting as the 10th hitter in the Titans lineup.). That said, I don't remember T-Rat pitchers walking an excessive amount or getting into a ton of jams, so I don't think there were any concerns today. Peralta worked pretty quick. As Chris Mehring noted in his blog/game log, the radar gun was turned off, which I didn't have a problem with. Last thing you want is a guy trying to impress by lighting up the radar gun in a scrimmage when it's 30 degrees out.

-Lastly, they ended the autograph session much too early. It was winding down, but they pulled all the players back into the clubhouse at 5:15. It was supposed to run until 6. When I was pulling out of the parking lot at 5:15, I saw a few cars still pulling in, presumably people that had to work until 5 and hoped to catch the last hour of autographs. I felt bad for them, as the event was advertised to run for another 45 minutes.

Anyways, I can't wait for Thursday!

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Fan Fest Photo Gallery (Players aren't identified in the majority of the photos, although we could wager some educated guesses...)

Post-Crescent reporter Brett Christopherson maintains a blog for the Post-Crescent; between this blog and that of Voice of the Rattlers Chris Mehring, not to mention the hundreds of first-hand account posts we'll see this year, there will be wall-to-wall coverage for all (overload occasionally, perhaps? Yes, but that's fine...)

Last night's post includes a Cutter Dykstra video interview.

Link while active, text follows:

Brett Lawrie, Cutter Dykstra give Wisconsin Timber Rattlers star attractions

Brett Christopherson column, Appleton Post-Crescent

GRAND CHUTE - Tuesday was a day for the two teen sensations to speak now or forever hold their peace.

Both spoke up. And neither held anything back.

For example, there was this bring-it-on response from 19-year-old Wisconsin Timber Rattlers second baseman Brett Lawrie when asked about the pressure cooker life supposedly comes in being rated by Baseball America as the third best prospect in the Milwaukee Brewers minor league system.

The Rattlers, by the way, are entering the season as Milwaukee's new low-Class A Midwest League affiliate.

"I've had pressure ever since I was 8 years old," Lawrie said during the team's annual Fan Fest event at Fox Cities Stadium. "And you know what? It is what it is. Baseball is a game of failure. Obviously, you can't succeed 100 percent of the time. I play hard for everybody, my teammates and the people who are watching. And I play hard for myself."

Then there was this shrug-of-the-shoulders from Rattlers center fielder Cutter Dykstra, another 19-year-old and, like Lawrie, a highly-rated prospect - No. 7, to be exact, as deemed by the good folks at Baseball America.

"We kind of just let our games speak for ourselves," Dykstra said. "Me and Brett both play hard. It's kind of like, between the lines, you forget about it and just play."

Of course, it's a chore to forget about anything when you're constantly offered reminders.

Like Tuesday, when the media's glare shined primarily on them, the bells and whistles of a promising roster dotted with eight of Milwaukee's top 30 minor league players.

Hey Brett, you were selected by the Brewers in the first round, 16th overall, during last June's draft and inked a deal that included a $1.7 million bonus. How has life changed?

"Everyone expects you to succeed, right?" said Lawrie, who - get this - is still seeking his first professional at-bat because he spent last summer representing Team Canada at the World Junior Championships and the Beijing Olympics. He also played for his homeland in last month's World Baseball Classic.

"I don't worry about succeeding because I know if I just play hard and play my game and don't try to do too much, hopefully things will work out," Lawrie added.

Hey Cutter, you were plucked by the Crew in the second round, 54th overall, during last year's draft and signed for $737,000. And your father, Lenny, starred in the majors. That's got to be a burden, right?

"When I have my name on the back of my jersey, I like it because I want people to leave the field saying, 'He plays the game like his dad,'" said Dykstra, who hit .271 with five homers and 17 RBI in 48 rookie level games last year. "I don't feel any pressure."

Well, a little wouldn't hurt.

"They're high picks and they got a lot of money, no question," said Rattlers hitting coach Matt Erickson, a former Appleton West standout who appeared in four major league games with the Brewers in 2004. "But they still are 19 year old kids, and they still have a lot of growing up to do on and off the field.

"(The big leagues) are something that they have to earn. There are no gifts. It doesn't matter if you're drafted in the first round, you pretty much have to prove it on the field. And I think those kids understand that."

Both insist they do.

"I try to forget about stuff like money, because the goal is to get to the big leagues," Dykstra said.

Added Lawrie: "I've always thrived on trying to do well. I never wanted to fail. And I think that's what has helped me get to where I am - having the drive inside of me to keep going."

Wisconsin Timber Rattlers Brett Lawrie and Cutter Dykstra warm up during the annual Fan Fest on Monday.

Post-Crescent photo by Patrick Ferron

http://cmsimg.postcrescent.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=U0&Date=20090408&Category=APC021102&ArtNo=304080013&Ref=AR&Profile=1009&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

Timbler Rattlers notes from MiLB.com's Midwest League preview; both Lawrie and Dykstra are listed as top prospects in the league. Lots of awesome editing going on over at MiLB.com, as they list both Odorizzi and Schafer as T-Rats:

Wisconsin Timber Rattlers

2008 Results: 56-80

2009 Manager: Jeff Isom

What's on deck: The Timber Rattlers' home is less than 70 miles from Milwaukee, so the newly crowned Brewers affiliate should enjoy an even more passionate fan base in 2009 than they did in years past. ... Brett Lawrie, who was called "the system's most promising power prospect" by MLB.com's Lisa Winston, will most likely start the season in Wisconsin but could be quickly promoted depending on his production. ... Cutter Dykstra, son of three-time National League All-Star Lenny "Nails" Dykstra, also appears to be on the fast track through the ranks but will spend some time in a Timber Rattlers uniform. ... Jacob Odorizzi fanned 19 in 20 2/3 innings in the Rookie-level Arizona League last year and has shown he's ready for full-season action in the Midwest League. ... Power pitcher Cody Scarpetta, who racked up 58 strikeouts during twelve appearances between the Arizona League and the Rookie-level Pioneer League, probably will join Odorizzi, as will LHP Efrain Nieves. ... Cody Adams, who put up a 3.48 ERA in the Pioneer League in 2008, could round out the rotation. ... OF Logan Schafer stands to be a regular in the Timber Rattlers' lineup after hitting .272 between two levels last year. ... Jeff Isom, who managed the Class A West Virginia Power of the South Atlantic League in 2007 and 2008, is stepping into the job for Wisconsin this season. ... On April 24, the Timber Rattlers will play a home game at Milwaukee's Miller Park against the Peoria Chiefs.

Brett Lawrie, C-- Wisconsin

The top Draft pick, who played for Canada in the WBC, will make his professional debut with the Timber Rattlers.

Cutter Dykstra, OF -- Wisconsin

The second-round Draft pick and son of Lenny Dykstra enters his first full professional season with the Timber Rattlers.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

This page from the Post-Crescent includes photos of each player in their new Timber Rattlers hat. Kind of cool to see a player like third baseman Edgar Trejo for the first time -- many others we saw photos of from draft coverage and such.

A while back the decision was made here not to borrow (OK, steal) these photos for our own Brewerfan Index. Plus, they were a bit awkward to add anyway http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif. Hopefully folks still find our Index, especially the sortable aspect of it, occasionally helpful. In an eventual new Brewerfan release, Brian will likely link to the players' MiLB.com stat page within our Index.

I'm really hoping for a big year from, Frederickson. I hope his control is at least on the path to getting better, as he has a lot of time to improve. I think he could really be dominant if he can consistently throw strikes.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Brett Christopherson column: Timber Rattlers' strong pitching staff bodes well for future of Brewers

GRAND CHUTE - Easter Sunday, 1987. Rob Deer crushes a game-tying, three-run homer in the bottom of the ninth. Dale Sveum belts a two-run shot for the game winner in the same inning.

Mass hysteria grips old Milwaukee County Stadium. The Milwaukee Brewers extend their season-opening win streak to 12 straight. One of the greatest moments in Brewers history.

Ah, the good old days.

Easter Sunday, 2009. Jeff Suppan issues three bases-loaded walks in a godforsaken fourth inning. Reliever Jorge Julio is summoned from the pen and promptly chucks four straight balls to walk in another run.

Anger and disbelief percolate inside Miller Park. Milwaukee goes on to drop an 8-5 decision to the Chicago Cubs - another setback in a dreary start to the season. One of the uglier scenes in recent Brewers history.

Ah, today's reality.

What's plaguing the Crew, you wonder? Sifting through the carnage otherwise known as major league baseball's pitching stats might shed some light.

Heading into Wednesday's action, the Brewers' 6.30 team ERA ranked 25th out of the 30 big-league clubs. Meanwhile, they had issued 42 walks through 70 innings - tops in the majors.

So, where are the arms, you scream? Wisconsin Timber Rattlers catcher Sean McCraw can handle that one.

"They need to come on down to Appleton," he said of a suddenly restless fan base that has gone from thinking playoff chase to the Suppan chase - as in out of the rotation.

"If they want to see the future (Brewers) rotation and bullpen, they can come on down."

"Frederickson and Scarpetta and there ain't nothing betta!" might one day be the Miller Park battle cry.

But for now, they and the others who are tossing strikes for the Rattlers are focused only on what needs to be accomplished so they can ascend through Milwaukee's minor league levels as quickly as possible.

Well, sort of.

"Maybe 10 times a day," 22-year-old Evan Frederickson said when asked if his thoughts ever turn to the big leagues. "They say to us all the time, if you can't see it before you do it, you're not going to do anything."

This year's Rattlers staff includes five starters rated by Baseball America as among the top 30 prospects in the Brewers' minor league system.

On that list are right-handers Cody Scarpetta (No. 15), Wily Peralta (22) and Cody Adams (28) and lefty Efrain Nieves (23), who despite pitching well on Wednesday was charged with the loss in a 6-0 setback to Fort Wayne at Fox Cities Stadium.

Frederickson, another lefty, checks in at No. 24, although he's not a big believer in rankings.

"What can I do best to help my career out, that's all I'm worried about," said Frederickson, one of 34 hurlers selected by the Brewers - he was a supplemental first round choice - in last June's pitching-heavy draft as the club gave new meaning to the phrase "position of need." "All that other stuff will take care of itself.

"I'm not going to go ahead and say we're going to be saviors or anything like that. But it's our goal to make it to the big leagues, and that's what we're working for. And that's where I'm planning on being soon."

So far, Rattlers pitchers - generally a hard-throwing bunch with the ability to mix in a nasty breaking pitch - have fanned 58 through 55 innings while limiting opponents to a .170 batting average. Their team earned run average is a sparkling 1.80, while the starters have yet to allow more than three runs in an outing.

Scarpetta has been known to hum a fastball in the low to mid-90s and is member of the Brewers' 40-man roster, while Peralta, Frederickson and Adams have been clocked anywhere from the mid- to high 90s.

Then there's Nieves, who can baffle hitters with a changeup-curveball-slider mix and was likened to two-time Cy Young Award winner Tom Glavine by Rattlers skipper Jeff Isom during the team's recent welcome banquet.

"I've never had this many power arms," said McCraw, who called the Wisconsin pitching staff the best he has ever caught at the Class A level.

The 23-year-old is in his fourth minor league season and first with the Brewers. "And it seems like all of our power guys, they can sink the ball, too. You put that combo, when someone can sink it down in at your back foot and change your eye level and elevate the ball out of the zone, not to mention their breaking stuff is unreal."

Added Rattlers pitching coach and former big league hurler Chris Hook: "I think these guys have the stuff to pitch at the big league level. It's just a matter of the attitude and them taking their knowledge as they go up. Once they get their off-speed stuff over, there's no stopping them."

Still, Brewers general manager Doug Melvin wasn't ready to crown this class as pitching's version of J.J. Hardy, Rickie Weeks, Corey Hart, Prince Fielder and Ryan Braun - homegrown talent charged with putting runs on the board at the big league level.

"A-ball to the big leagues is a few steps away," Melvin said during a visit to Fox Cities Stadium on Wednesday. "It takes time with pitching. They need to stay healthy and get their innings in."

If so, expect to see a lot of these guys taking up space in the Brewers' clubhouse and pitching in soon enough.

Well, maybe not soon enough for all of you suffering fans.

"You wouldn't sign a professional contract if you didn't think you'd be in the big leagues," said Scarpetta, 20, an 11th-round selection last June.

"But we're at a low level, and it's tough because there are so many great pitchers in the organization that are above us now. We've still got a ways to go."

And we'll all be awaiting your arrival - anxiously.

Scarpetta was drafted in '07, but otherwise a good article.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Thanks to the Rattlers' Chris Mehring for the heads-up...

Sherrard's Adams makes Midwest League starting debut tonight in Clinton

By Matt Veto, mveto@qconline.com

A five-year-old's prediction never held much water until Cody Adams.

"At five years old, he said, `I am going to be a professional ball player when I grow up,'" remembered his mother Diana Adams. "We said, `Of course you are,' and rolled our eyes."

But in the summer of 2008, Cody Adams -- a former Sherrard (Illinois) High School standout and second-round draft pick of the Milwaukee Brewers -- made good on his youthful promise when he debuted for the Pioneer League's Helena Brewers. Tonight, he brings that prediction-fulfilled closer to home.

Adams, a hard-throwing right-handed pitcher, will make his first Single-A start for the Wisconsin Timber Rattlers when they battle the LumberKings at Clinton's Alliant Energy Field at 6:30 p.m.

It won't be his first contest at the Minor League ballpark, but this game will be played under slightly more significant circumstances.

"I played travel ball as a kid and we played in Clinton when I was 12," Adams explained. "But I've never played at Modern Woodmen Park."

That second thought will also change soon when Adams and the Timber Rattlers take on the River Bandits April 26-28 at the Quad-Cities stadium. No doubt, the moment will bring to mind the word both he and his mother uttered in describing the journey of a five-year-old's transformation into a 22-year-old pro.

"It's beyond words -- surreal at times," said Diana Adams.

But never too surreal that it impedes on reality.

Diana Adams said her son is the same kid he was before the draft call that changed his life -- willing to offer her a smile and a hug before a game, and secure in his skill set as a competitive player. Cody Adams said he doesn't feel he's changed, even though he admits others seems to treat him differently.

"I'm trying to stay as humble as possible," he said. "Some people tell me you're still the same and others say I've changed a little. I'm trying to act the same, and keep in touch with my friends. I consider myself a non-changed person."

No matter the effort to remain unchanged, he still carries the undeniable torch of a role model -- a small-town kid who dreamed a dream and achieved it.

"It doesn't happen a lot," he said of rising to the pro ranks. "I'm trying to take advantage of that and lead by example for the kid that never thought it would be possible."

And also the kid that makes a similarly bold prediction for his future.

Cody Adams Age: 22.

Hometown: Viola, Ill.

High school: Sherrard.

College:Southern Illinois University.

Became a pro: Drafted by the Milwaukee Brewers in the second round of the 2008 June Draft.

As a pro: Appeared in 14 games with the Helena Brewers of the Pioneer League in 2008. He went 5-4 with a 3.48 ERA. He started five contests. He has pitched one inning of relief this season for the Timber Rattlers. He surrendered two hits and a run.

Photo: submitted

http://photos.qconline.com/bignails/04-12-09_04-18-09/04-17-09/Adams_Cody.jpg?TB_iframe=true&height=1250&width=400

Archived