Brewer Fanatic

2009-04-07 Brewers (Suppan) at Giants (Lincecum): 3:05 PM CDT [Brewers lose, 10-6]

wOOgiE22
Totally agree Invader. The SF series looks even worse now than before we knew the weather with it being beautiful there yesterday and now this mess. As far as the home opener goes, I would really love to know who came up with that brain child? (I know, MLB) They could be playing the Bad News Bears and it would be a sellout. Instead its the Cubs, and to top it off on a holiday friday with a 3 PM start!? Don't get me wrong - I will be there and I'm very excited about it, but its going to be a mess. 2 extra hours of drinking for fans that already don't like each other. Traffic will be a mess and many fans will be a mess. Its going to be more like Bad Friday

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hey MLB -

We have, a roof. It is retractable. It can be left open when the weather is nice, or closed when the weather is like it is in San Francisco today. In Milwaukee, you can guarantee that they will get the game in. We don't need to start the season on the road every freaking year.

Just a thought.

They should have scheduled the Opener for yesterday, with a day off today like many teams do.

And if the Giants really wanted that exhibition game and the schedule repercussions, the league should have arranged to have a divisional opponent for opening day.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Are those times Central or Pacific?
Pacific. And it has been lowered even further to 20% from 1-4 so I think there is a good bet the game will be played. Just looking at the radar without having any experience in weather forecasting I would say the rain is going to pass within the hour

Hey MLB -

We have, a roof. It is retractable. It can be left open when the weather is nice, or closed when the weather is like it is in San Francisco today. In Milwaukee, you can guarantee that they will get the game in. We don't need to start the season on the road every freaking year.

Just a thought.

To be fair Im pretty sure we opened the season at home last year vs the dodgers I think.

Without spreading too many negative vibes, and without regard for the potential for rain today, I've hated this schedule to start the season since it was released. Now that it's time to go, it'll be a definite letdown if there is no Brewers baseball today. Also having no formal weather training, i'm agreeing with Fondy's forcast.

GLAD WE HAS WOOGIE

Speaking of wOOgiE, the In-game Thread Usability Guide is now updated to include directions for starting wOOgie-style threads. Because wOOgiE will be passing the task on to members for the Cubs series, a Cubs template is included.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

To be fair Im pretty sure we opened the season at home last year vs the dodgers I think.

That was two years ago, which I think was the first time in years we'd opened at home. We opened in Chicago in the rain last year. (EDIT: Actually we opened against the Pirates the year before that, but that was our first opening day at home in 10 years.)

Anyone seeing how peeved TH is about this scheduling the past two days? He just keeps posting about it. It is funny though to see the Giants say they never have rainouts. I was in SF a few seasons back and they had their second game of the year rained out.

Nope. They opened on the road in Chicago last year. The home opener was the second series of the year.

That being said, I don't mind opening on the road every year....it's much easier to recover from the home opener when it's on a Friday, instead of a Monday.

Just curious... but Lincecum vs Suppan is obviously a mismatch in their favor. If we get this game in and it is played in drizzle and semi-showers and cold and damp and all that... does that make it an even bigger mismatch or does that even things up a bit? Who would it effect more? The young flamethrower or the grizzled innings eater?

Casey is absolutely correct. It's fine to schedule games in weather-troubled cities, but you have to do so between teams that are divisional foes so that they will meet again at some point in the season in that city. I think lost in this whole discussion is the fact that a rainout could happen at any time, the point is you dont schedule an exhibition during an off day. The rule should be when you leave Arizona or Florida, that is it for exhibition play. The Brewers did not need to play the Dodgers twice, etc. The only exception should be teams that are opening new stadiums. And even then, there is no reason to have them be the major league teams. Let your nearest minor league affiliates play there if necc.

Having McClung, DiFelice, Villanueva, Bush, and--dare I say it--Riske all being capable of going multiple innings should help the Brewers out today. They can start Suppan with the goal of getting through 5 innings. Then turn to Bush for an inning, then McClung for 2, and Villanueva

Acquaintance of mine that lives in the Bay Area (Giants fan as well) just excitedly told me this:

"Just went out for a smoke break and nary a drop fell. So that should be a decent sign that the game is on."

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Weather like this almost makes me happy that Soup is the opening day starter.
Soup and his old school grittiness love the rain. I also expect Counsell and Kendall to have bombs today. Real men thrive in harsh climates.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

Archived