Brewer Fanatic

Your 2009 Nashville Sounds -- Latest: McCalvy on Dillard's New Approach

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Link while active, text follows:

Sounds prospect works to make glove match his bat

By Maurice Patton

THE TENNESSEAN

Mat Gamel may be a made-for-ESPN third baseman.

The Nashville Sounds infielder is a highlight reel at the plate, where he's leading the team in home runs and RBIs, and he's got the ability to make the flashy play on defense.

Converting routine groundballs into outs, though, has been a problem for the 23-year-old.

Through Nashville's first 20 games, Gamel has been charged with a Pacific Coast League-leading seven errors, on pace for 50 errors over the 144-game schedule, and well above the 32 he committed last season while playing for the Sounds and Double-A Huntsville.

"He's made some great plays, he's shown he can make the plays," Sounds Manager Don Money said. "But at times, he loses focus on the easy ones. When he dives for a ball, gets up and throws it and doesn't really think about it, he does a lot better.

"Sometimes he'll boot a ball and I'll just sit there and shake my head. How do you catch a routine ball and then miss first base by five feet. To me, that's just losing concentration."

The fielding troubles have dogged Gamel throughout his pro career. He commited 53 errors while playing for Brevard County in 2007.

And for Money, watching the frequent miscues is almost a personal insult.

During his 16-year Major League career, Money set a record for consecutive errorless chances at third base with 261. He also established the record for most consecutive errorless games at third base with 88 - a mark that still stands.

"I'll talk to him. I'll even take ground balls with him on occasion," the 61-year-old Money said. "I'll tell him, 'you're forcing me to take my glove out of my bag.'

"He's learning. He's made a lot of improvement. But it is very frustrating."

To Gamel's credit, he recognizes the resource he has in Money, who also managed him last season at Huntsville. Gamel's .918 fielding percentage at Double-A last year was a career best.

"This is the second year I've had Don," he said. "I'm soaking up everything he says. I'm really willing to learn and trust what he says. I'm glad I get the opportunity to work with him again."

For the most part, fielding hasn't been the issue for Gamel as much as throwing. And like a football quarterback, he knows almost immediately when he wishes he had a ball back.

"I can tell when I throw it if it's going to be bad or not," he said. "I can feel the difference in what I'm supposed to do and what I'm doing, which is a big thing - to feel the difference, know what's right and what's wrong.

"Everything's starting to make a lot more sense. I'm getting a lot more comfortable with doing things."

Gamel seeks out opportunities to come to the park early and get extra work with Money as he tries to close the gap between his offensive prowess and his defensive deficiency.

"His footwork was all messed up, which wasn't allowing his arm to get into (proper) throwing position," Money said. "We were working in spring training, gave him a little extra 'crow-hop' to allow him to get his arm up. He bought into the program, was willing to work at it and he got better; got a lot better.

"It's all boiling down to his footwork. If his footwork's out of synch, his shoulder's not turned, it doesn't allow him to get his arm up. When you throw from an open position, most of the time it's up and away to first base on the home plate side. That's where he's missing his throws and that's just because he's not getting himself turned properly."

While working to make his defense passable at the major league level, Money and the Brewers brass are fully aware Gamel is going to hit his way to Milwaukee.

"Is he going to be a Gold Glove winner, make 10 errors a year? I don't see that," Money said. "Will he be adequate enough to do the job and go out and hit what he's capable of hitting? Yes.

"If your forte is hitting, you'd better hit. If you don't hit, and your defense is off-center, that's another story."

For now, the organization is committed to Gamel at the hot corner.

"We want to make every effort to make third base his position," Milwaukee assistant general manager Gord Ash said. "He's with the perfect guy in Don. We think that's a good match in terms of working with his defense. We'll try to make it work there. If that becomes an issue down the road, we'll address it then."

Nashville Sounds Mat Gamel (6) during the teams final practice session before the season opener.

(Photo by Billy Kingsley/THE TENNESSEAN)

http://cmsimg.tennessean.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DN&Date=20090429&Category=SPORTS0401&ArtNo=90429069&Ref=AR&Profile=1031&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply
"Angel's Spring Training, for me, was a waste," Macha said.
He raved about Lucroy, was complementary of Corporan, so should we take from that one liner that he's disappointed with Salome? Or was that a matter of fact type statement? I would have worded it differently myself if I wasn't upset with the player, I don't have a good read on Macha yet. I guess I took it as blunt criticism as opposed to matter of fact, we'll see.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

He raved about Lucroy, was complementary of Corporan, so should we take from that one liner that he's disappointed with Salome?
I think Machca was just saying Salome was injured so much in spring training he never got a meaningful look at him. You can't evaluate a player in his 1st game back after an injury, and that was pretty much Angels entire spring, as he got re-injured a couple times.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I think Machca was just saying Salome was injured so much in spring training he never got a meaningful look at him. You can't evaluate a player in his 1st game back after an injury, and that was pretty much Angels entire spring, as he got re-injured a couple times.

I agree with X. Macha probably heard all the good things about Salome, but wasn't able to see any of them himself. Escobar had some ups and downs in spring training, but at least Macha got a glimpse of what he can do...you can't say that about Salome.

Both guys are struggling in AAA also. I know it's still very early, but April wasn't the greatest month for either of the two.

From Peter Gammons:

Mat Gamel is hitting over .370 and has five homers off left-handed pitchers with Milwaukee's Triple-A Louisville club. Bill Hall is hitting over .300, so Gamel may have to wait, although Doug Melvin is thinking of bring Gamel up when the Brewers begin playing American League teams later this month and allowing him to DH.

obviously I'm on board with the DH idea as I mentioned it a couple of weeks ago in the Gamel thread, the problem is the corresponding roster move?

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I agree Gamel should be brought up for interleague play. However, should he DH? How long would it really take him to become a better defensive 1B than Fielder? Let him play 1B the week prior to his call-up, and if he takes to it quickly like I think he could, DH Fielder. Gamel could probably scoop throws better than Fielder in his sleep. He also offers a little bigger target.

I know some will say "but that will take development time away from him playing 3B", but he's been playing 3B forever, what difference is 1 more week gonna make?

Obviously I'm on board with the DH idea as I mentioned it a couple of weeks ago in the Gamel thread, the problem is the corresponding roster move?
Send down Magehee and Duffy, recall Gamel and Gillespie. After interleague play is over, replace Gamel with Irabarren.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

Send down Magehee and Duffy, recall Gamel and Gillespie. After interleague play is over, replace Gamel with Irabarren.
They're not going to replace Duffy with Gillespie; Duffy is the backup CF.

They're not going to replace Duffy with Gillespie; Duffy is the backup CF.
What OF would rather have for 1 game , Braun, Duffy, Hart, or Braun, Hart, Gillespie? Also, after Gamel is sent back down, he'd be replaced with Irabarren, who'd then be the backup CF. The few starts Duffy will get in CF isn't enough to keep him around, especially considering he doesn't offer any offense as the back-up CF. Gillespie has been a far superior minor league hitter than MaGahee, making him a better fit for the PH role versus LHP. I'd also prefer him as a hitter to Duffy versus RHP.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Pitchers can go to majors with offense

Designated hitter rule delays some

By Maurice Patton, The Tennessean

Hitters hit and pitchers pitch.

But for Nashville Sounds' pitchers hoping to play in the National League, being able to swing the bat can mean the difference between pitching more innings, or getting pulled out of a game in favor of a pinch-hitter.

Unlike the major leagues, where the designated hitter rule is used only in American League parks, minor league pitchers are allowed to hit at the Double-A and Triple-A levels, but only in games involving two National League affiliates.

As a result, Sounds pitchers are often torn between wanting the crucial at-bats they need to develop into offensive contributors, or playing under the DH system, where they can remain in the game as long as they're pitching well.

"I sometimes look forward to playing American League teams because I'm going to get more innings in, instead of getting pinch-hit for," said Tim Dillard, who leads Sounds pitchers with a .333 batting average in nine at-bats this season.

A former junior college catcher, Dillard hit .368 with seven homers and 37 RBIs as a high school senior.

"Hitting's fun," he said, "but the chance to be able to pitch another inning or two innings because you're not getting pinch-hit for - that has its upside, too."

A pitcher who can provide even the slightest offensive threat, can often extend his mound appearance, Sounds pitching coach Chris Bosio said.

"That's one of the things the Brewers really hammered on in spring training. After batting practice was done for the team, the pitchers would hit for 30-45 minutes," said Bosio, whose staff is hitting a respectable .162 - fourth among the 10 PCL teams that are National League affiliates. "It's something we practice very hard on.

"That's not to say pitchers are going to hit home runs, but just being able to sacrifice, put the ball in play, gives your club a better opportunity and puts pressure on the defense - and it keeps you in games longer."

One of the basic supports of the designated hitter rule - that a stronger offensive player replaces a typically weak-hitting pitcher in the batting order - took a blow this week.

Milwaukee's Yovani Gallardo, a former Sound, became one of just three pitchers ever to strike out 10 or more batters, hit a home run and win a 1-0 decision with his eight-inning, 11-strikeout outing Wednesday.

The homer was his second of the season, giving him one less than Milwaukee position players Prince Fielder, Corey Hart, J.J. Hardy and Bill Hall.

Sounds' coaches wish their pitchers could get even more preparation for big-league plate appearances.

Of the Sounds' 144-game Pacific Coast League schedule, 48 games are against American League affiliates - games in which pitchers don't go to the plate.

"Our pitchers don't get the at-bats, and we're looking to get them some at-bats," Nashville Manager Don Money said. "It affects us for when they get to the big leagues."

One implication of the rule is the perception that pitchers who hit aren't as likely to throw at opposing hitters if they know they'll have to stand in the batter's box during the same game.

"Some in the American League may be a little more likely to pitch inside," Brewers Director of Player Development Reid Nichols said. "But there's still a respect for the game, respect for hitters. Obviously, when a pitcher has to take a bat up there, it's a little different."

Sounds pitcher Tim Dillard likes being able to contribute to the offense, but the designated hitter rule can keep him on the mound longer. (Photo by Shelley Mays / The Tennessean)

http://cmsimg.tennessean.com/apps/pbcsi.dll/bilde?Site=DN&Date=20090503&Category=SPORTS0401&ArtNo=905030343&Ref=AR&Profile=1031&MaxW=550&MaxH=650&title=0

• 3 weeks later...

I know some will say "but that will take development time away from him playing 3B", but he's been playing 3B forever, what difference is 1 more week gonna make?

I just don't know the point of Gamel playing 1B at all this year unless Prince is traded. Is it really 'worth that much' to have Prince DH for a few games and Mat play 1B? I just don't see how this would benefit the Brewers at all except for a few plays here and there in a handful of games.

Again, if Prince is going to be traded that's fine. I would guess the Brewers already have an idea of what type of 1B Gamel would be. I just don't think it makes sense to have him play 1B for a handful of games. Prince doesn't appear to be going anywhere and I don't think Mat playing 1B or DHing really makes a huge deal at all.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Minor league spotlight: Cole Gillespie, Nashville Sounds

by Aaron Fentress, Oregonlive.com

Nashville outfielder Cole Gillespie has been lying awake at night.

It's not his sore throwing shoulder. Nor is it his uncharacteristically low batting average. No, weighing on the former Oregon State star's mind is playing before family members and friends when the Sounds start a four-game series against the Portland Beavers Thursday at PGE Park.

"I've been pretty pumped up about that," the West Linn High School product said. "I've not been sleeping well at night."

Gillespie has plenty to show off. Since helping OSU to the national championship in 2006, he has made a smooth transition into professional baseball. Well, at least until now.

The Milwaukee Brewers' third-round selection in 2006, Gillespie, recovering from a right elbow injury, was batting .221 (through Wednesday), well below his career minor league average of .285. This after he was a Southern League all-star for Class AA Huntsville (Ala.) last season. But what hasn't eluded him is his plate discipline, which ultimately could be his ticket to the big leagues once his swing rounds back into form.

A strong spring training ended with a sore right elbow. After he healed, Gillespie, ranked as the Brewers' No. 9 prospect by Baseball America, began the season with Class A Brevard County in the Florida State League. There he batted .349 in 12 games as a designated hitter and soon was called up to Nashville.

"Once I got here I might have been trying to do a little too much and have been pressing a little bit," he said.

Thus the .221 average. Still, Gillespie, whom Baseball America labeled as the Brewers' prospect with the "Best Strike-Zone Discipline," has remained productive thanks to an on-base percentage of .372. His career on-base percentage is .396.

"I look for a certain pitch early in the count, and if it's not there I lay off it," Gillespie said. "I don't worry about getting too far into the count or striking out. I don't want to swing at the pitcher's pitch early in the count. I work the count and sometimes I get two strikes and can strike out, but I also get some walks."

With Gillespie a step from the majors in the Pacific Coast League, the question is, where does he fit? He's not considered fast enough to play center field. His power, which produced a career-high 14 home runs for Huntsville last season, falls short of a prototypical corner outfielder's.

"He's not the corner power guy," Sounds manager Don Money said. "But he's pretty much locked in to being a corner man to this point."

The power question -- 80 major league players hit more than 20 home runs last season -- could prove to be a nonissue should the rest of Gillespie's skills set hold true.

Money, who managed Huntsville last year, said Gillespie must learn to pull the ball better and that could result in more power numbers. But for now, he has been productive using all fields. Last year, he finished second in the Southern League in doubles (38) and third in walks (75) and extra-base hits (56).

Money, who played 16 seasons in the majors, said an outfielder who can hit 12 to 15 home runs, play solid defense and bat .280 with a high on-base percentage can be a productive major league player.

"If he's asked to sacrifice, get on base with walks and is having good ABs, at times that is just as important as getting that base hit," Money said.

Still, Gillespie expects to see his batting average rise.

"I'm just taking each AB one at a time and realize we play about 140 games," he said.

The sooner he turns things around the quicker he will be on the big league club's radar.

"It's definitely on my mind," Gillespie said. "I'm only a level or a phone call away. But I try not to worry too much about that because you have to take care of your business where you are."

Photo by Mike Strasinger/Nashville Sounds

Cole Gillespie is recovering from an elbow injury that has contributed to an uncharacteristically low batting average this season for Nashville.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/mlb/2009/05/large_Cole1.JPG

I was hoping the writer would ask Burns the obvious question: "What are you doing different this year that has you pitching better than you've ever pitched?"

Then I was hoping he'd say Mark Difilice taught him a cutter.

Brewer Fanatic Staff

Stability keys Sounds' surge

By Maurice Patton

THE TENNESSEAN

It's easy to look at the Nashville Sounds and say their improvement this season is because they're hitting and pitching better than last year.

Less obvious - but maybe just as important - is the fact that the team's roster has been more settled.

On the way to a 26-21 record prior to Thursday's road-trip finale at Tacoma, the Sounds had recorded just 36 player transactions. Through 47 games last season, there had been 57 player moves. Predictably, the team was 19-28.

The roster shuffles continued through last year, and so did the losses. By the end of the 2008 season, Nashville had 137 transactions and its worst finish in franchise history - 59-81.

"You have to be healthy, not just at this level, but at the big league level," reliever Chris Narveson said as he and his teammates prepared to return to Greer Stadium Friday for an eight-game homestand against Omaha and Iowa.

Both teams are chasing the Pacific Coast League American North-leading Sounds.

"I think last year's team, we went through a hard stretch where some injuries and things brought us down. If both sides are healthy, everybody's able to play well and work off each other, knowing the same players are going to be playing next to them every day."

The Milwaukee Brewers - the Sounds' parent club - have made fewer moves through the first two months of the season while staying near the top of the National League Central Division. The trickle-down effect has been clear.

"I think everybody's jelled together," said Narveson, who has adapted to a relief role and contributed a win and four saves after going 6-13 last year as a starter. "Everybody messes around together. We're a little more loose. There's a little more of a 'let's go out and perform, we know we can win,' and going out and doing it.

"Winning is done on the field, but it's a lot of what you do off the field - players getting along, hanging out off the field. It makes it a lot easier when you go to the park to know you're ready to play and do what you have to do."

In the box score, the Sounds' .278 batting average is eighth in the PCL and the team's 4.09 ERA is fifth. Nashville has scored six fewer runs through 47 games than it did last year, but has allowed 16 fewer.

"I think we're playing more consistent baseball," said outfielder Brendan Katin, among the team leaders in home runs and RBIs last season and this year as well. "Last year, it seemed like a lot of the games we lost, we'd pitch well and not hit, or we'd hit well and pitch badly. We're working together (this season). We're definitely swinging the bats, but when we're not scoring runs, we're shutting them down.

"I think the offense and the pitching is working together."

Another telling statistic: The Sounds are 12-9 in games decided by two runs or less. Through their first 47 games of last season, they were 5-12 in two- or one-run decisions.

"I think this team is talented and we think we can come back at any time," infielder Adam Heether said. "There's some fight in these guys."

Archived