Brewer Fanatic

2009-04-05 Non-Brewers in-game thread -- Braves at Phillies: 7:00 PM CDT

1992casey

Thanks for the Powell reminder, Mass. I might need to bring my XM Radio into the house. I don't do that very often.

That’s the only thing Chicago’s good for: to tell people where Wisconsin is.

[align=right]-- Sigmund Snopek[/align]

Thanks for the Powell reminder, Mass. I might need to bring my XM Radio into the house. I don't do that very often.

Do they sell something so that you can use your xm radio device from your car inside? I have one of those removable xm radios in my car and wish sometimes I could listen to the games in my house if I'm not driving around or whatever.

Yes CBC they do sell a radio that you can just plug the XM receiver into. In fact I'm the opposite in that I have never had the XM installed in my car (I didn't want to put the antenna on the car and advertise I had something worth stealing in my neighborhood) and use it just in the house.

If you really want to get lazy, turn on the portable XM in the car, park it near enough to where you'll be listening, and tune it in via FM in the house. Beware, however, that XM does drain the car's battery if it's mistakenly left on for a long time. If your radio has an automatic shutoff feature, you might want to activate it.

EDIT:

CBC, the radio companies make transformer gizmos that allow you to plug your XM into a standard power outlet. As an option that's likely a lot cheaper, you can buy a gadget that adapts a cigarette lighter plug to a standard outlet.

You'll also need the wires to plug the XM into your stereo receiver. Chances are that those came with the radio. Otherwise, those wires might come with the "home kit" that contains the transformer. Also, to get sound, you generally use a standardized hookup. You can likely get the cord you'd need for a couple of bucks at Radio Shack.

The important thing that's required is a house antenna. That's the biggest cost ($30-40?), and you can't avoid it.

I listen to XM online almost more than in my vehicle. XM online is free if you renewed before March 11th, otherwise they have started charging for it.

Is the Braves radio feed available through XM? I know they normally only carry the home town radio broadcast?

I know its not part of the game, but I thought that little opening day poem they just did was pretty neat.

Totally appropriate for a game thread, though. What was the poem about?

It used baseball figures of speech and created visuals based on those...the second-baseman using a needle and thread to create a "tailor-made double play," talking about the cornucopia of baseballs foods: cheese, cans of corn, etc etc

I bet it'll pop up on YouTube soon.

Archived