Brewer Fanatic

How about a Duffy / Cameron platoon?

AJAY

Just wanted to throw the idea out there . . .

If Chris Duffy and Mike Cameron were to platoon, do you think it would be a nicer combination for the Brewers? I like Duffy's approach and I think he would provide more balance to the lineup. I also think both guys would have more success in a platoon role. Both are really good defensively too.

Thoughts?

I think CF is one of those positions where to take the offense that comes (much like SS) because of how important it is. Couple that with Cameron being a plus offensive CF and I wouldn't see the need to platoon him. It is nice to have Duffy to take a start every now and then. I wouldn't mind seeing him in the starting lineup once a week at one of the OF positions.

There were only eight CFs in baseball last year with an .800+ OPS, and Mike Cameron was one of them. I know there's more to it than OPS, but it's a decent judge of offensive ability. Last year, he was roughly the equivalent of Torii Hunter... Hunter got on base a little more (.344 OBP vs. .331), but Cameron had more power (.477 SLG vs. Hunter's .466).

I like that they kept Duffy over Gwynn, and I know that Duffy had a good spring, but he's 29 and has only had 681 career ABs. In those ABs, he has a line of .328 OBP /.361 SLG /.689 OPS, so he trails Cameron in every category. I hope Duffy has a great season as a 4th/5th OF, but I really don't want to see him taking any significant playing time away from a better player (Cameron). I'd think his more likely chance at PT (barring injury) is if Hart falls into a funk like the end of last season. If anyone deserved a platoon partner last year, it was Hart.

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

Mike Cameron is much more productive offensively that many people on here seem to give him credit for. And his defense...aww fughedaboutit!

But I am glad Duffy is on the team - I only hope he can be this year's LH version of Kap. Good defensively with some speed and some clutch hitting. Hopefully my fiance won't drool quite as much over Duff as she did Kap - it was a bit embarrassing when we had company!

Most players would theoretically put up better stats in a platoon. Cameron has less of a platoon split than most of our players so he isn't the player I'd be looking to platoon personally.

monty57 wrote:

I'd think his more likely chance at PT (barring injury) is if Hart falls into a funk like the end of last season. If anyone deserved a platoon partner last year, it was Hart.

I would prefer Nelson as a platoon with Hart over Duffy.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Not on topic here...but I needed to share. My wife's boss is named Campbell and everyone calls him "Cam". Every time I see him I have to resist the urge to all him "Cam-boogey". Several of the Brewers players have referred to Cameron with this nickname and it is stuck in my melon.

Carry on...

@BrewCrewCritic on Twitter "Racing Sausages" - "Huh?"

Let's not get crazy here. We need Cam in there as much as possible. His deffense is really good and that's what we need. Duffy is a sub and that's all.
Cameron is 36, not 26. He'll benefit from days off. Duffy, like all the reserves will need some playing time.

Rest, yes, platoon, no. There should be no thought of them getting "equal playing time." 1 day off a week is a totally different story.
That is what he said. No platoon. This is the second time in 2 days I agree with Briggs. I think the apocalypse is coming.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Brewer Fanatic Contributor

That is what he said. No platoon.

Its hard not to agree with the fact that some people need a day off now and again. I doubt anyone would disagree that Duffy should start once in a while to give Cam rest, but the original post was about a platoon.

monty57 wrote:

I'd think his more likely chance at PT (barring injury) is if Hart falls into a funk like the end of last season. If anyone deserved a platoon partner last year, it was Hart.

I would prefer Nelson as a platoon with Hart over Duffy.
Bat-wise yes, but they made mention of Nelson's lack of speed in the Padres game on FSN, which allowed at least one batter to stretch a single into a double. If Hart's due for a day off, or needing a platoon, Duffy might be a better choice if the other team has good speed.

Hopefully the starters play well enough so that it's just a day off for each a week, spread between Duffy and Nelson.

I would like to see Duffy buried on the bench. He's not a meaningful player. Nelson is the guy who needs to be investigated through DHing when possible, pinch hitting, and all the extra corner outfield starts we can supply him with. Cameron is a good, if not great deal better, than Duffy. If Cameron needs one day off in 20 okay, Duffy's the guy, but I'm not gonna stop from wincing every time his name is in the line up.

Can someone please help me get jazzed about Chris Duffy? His name is thrown about around here like he's expected to contribute, but the numbers show me a scrap heap marginal player. Am I missing something?

nope,

it looks like he might become a fan favorite for some reason though.

He is Gwynn with a little bit more power. If you expect a .650 OPS out of Gwynn I'd expect a .700 out of Duffy. Minor upgrade but an upgrade, though older by 2 years as well so not much 'upside'.

Archived