Brewer Fanatic

Season/Home opener rituals

GormanHarvey
So the minutes seem to be agonizingly crawling by until the Brewers open up the season on tuesday, so I thought to help pass the time I would see what my fellow bfnetters have for opening day rituals (whether it be season or home opener). Could be anything from lucky apparel to pre/post game hangouts, etc,etc... Mine are pretty basic - try to get there as early as possible, always grill up some italians washed down with Miller products, and can't go into the game without seeds, peanuts and Twizzlers. Nothing too exotic but I do live 3.5 hrs away so that puts a bit of a damper on things. Your turn...

I know this isn't what you're looking for, but I'll be at the season opener on Tuesday, and my plan is to get up early, go for a run, put on my new barley-shaft cap, my Red Jacket AA Brewers' t-shirt (over a long-sleeve, of course, it's gonna be chilly), and my old-school Starter's Jacket, and go get a light breakfast with my wife, and then we're meeting some Giants season ticket-holder friends at Acme Chophouse, the pretty darn good steakhouse in AT&T Park, where they keep a table all year, for an early lunch at 10:30 AM PST. A Niman Ranch burger, a bottle of vino, and then picking up a Miller Lite (normally not a huge fan, but you gotta rep any way you can on the road), and then we're off to our seats for intros, and away we go.

On Friday, I'll be taking the afternoon off and decamping in front of the tube with some Leinie's products (that's the best I can do out here) and some venison jerky my Step-Dad in Vernon County sent me.

Night before i always watch Major League, and start preparing the food for the next day(marinading, ect). Next day i put on my brewers gear, go to the stadium as early as possible( i live about an hour away) and fire up the grill. Nothing major.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Away on Opening Day- Do whatever I can to get home in time, throw my ballcap on, grab a High Life and some peanuts/sunflower seeds. Watch the game planted firmly in my couch's butt grooves.

Home Opener- Usually wake up earlier than normal, play Brewer Fever and Turnin Up the Heat a couple times. Eat some breakfast, turn on the radio to hear all the live morning shows from the ballpark. Get all the stuff together, pack the car, and off to the yard. Usually get there 3 hours or so early, fire up the grill and have some libations, all with the giddy smile of a kid on Christmas morning. Always have to be in for the foul line intros.

This thread is making me even more anxious for Tuesday and Friday.

A group of us (as small as 6 as large as 75) began opening day tradition about 8 years ago. Most of this is only a small number of people.

It starts out the night before Opening Day, we all plan what we need to bring at "the office." It used to be Leff's in Tosa, but now its usually the Riverhorse in Riverwest. Then 5 or 6 of us have a slumber party at someone's house. Usually mine. We watch Major League and pass out. In the morning we wake up about 8 and make frozen pizzas and have a Sparks immediately after we get up.

Then it's out the door to the Keg by 9:15. We do all the standard tailgating rituals. We always make it in by the top of the first (We always give ourselves enough time to be in by first pitch, but lines and everything keep us down).

Our group tailgates pretty hard, but we're also celebrating Milwaukee baseball, not like many who just get drunk and never make it in the game. We've never gotten in later than the first.

I will be at work getting nothing accomplished from approximately 3 PM until I leave at 5PM. I will speed home hopefully in time to catch the end of Brewer win #1.

Repeat for Friday. Normally I would take vacation and veg out in front of the TV but I already used too much of my vacation this year

Technically shouldn't this thread be titled "Season Opener Rituals?" Sorry, just nit picking there.

Anyway, I have to work that day, but will hopefully be home by 3:30 or so, so I should get to watch most of the game on TV. No real big plans, other than maybe enjoying a couple cold ones.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

last year I went with my Robin Yount jersey and blue/yellow ball and glove hat and shaved my beard into a mustache. i'll be doing the same this year. I figure we went to the playoffs last year, so I might as well try to do everything exactly the same and see if we can't make it back to back.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Great thread idea. I Love reading these.

As for me, our 20-game pack group of friends will hit up Lake Country Cigars in Delafield the day before the game every year and get a real overly expensive stogy for the game. Than we all do our grocery shopping together as to bounce ideas off each other and make sure we have all the essentials and such. We all go back to our respective households and try to get some sleep in. Me, being the primary grill owner, will now do my annual makeover of my grill, getting all the carbon buildup off, and making sure its as clean as can be. I'll then start to get everything that isn't edible packed into the car (the canopy, the table, grill, chairs, etc...), and start to make whatever food I'm eating the next day (this year I'll be making garlic, onion, and bacon infused burgers.

I'll wake up in the morning faster and more alert than any other day of the year. Shower, and pack up the rest of the goodies. Outfit the car with a few window flags and leave the house to meet at Goerke's Corner park-n-ride on Bluemound with all the rest of the fellow tailgators. We'll play catch there and rock out to "Brewers Fever" and "Turnin' Up The Heat" while waiting for everyone to arrive, and then jam everyone into as few cars as possible and head down to Mecca. Making only two stops on the way down there; we'll stop at both Bluemound Liquor, and "The Peanut Guy." Then we'll get in line for the Bluemound "Giants" parking lot (the only parking lot as far as I'm concerned), around 4:30-5 hours before game time. If they aren't letting cars in at the time we'll wait paitently and play some more catch and such. Than we finally get in to the glorious place that is the parking lot and do all the typical tailgating festivities. Head in to the game around 20 minutes before game time so assure we see the first pitch, and sit back and enjoy watching a Brewers victory.

After the game, celebratory "Brewers Fever" is played for the victory, and a post-game tailgate is usually in order.

"Opening Day" by Terry Cashman

VERSE

Well, I count up the days in a winter haze

Since the leaves began to fall.

Now it won't be long 'til the sun comes shining through.

When the camps start breakin,' my spirits awaken

To an irresistible call,

Of an old American song that's always new

CHORUS

And the robin is here,

The sky is so blue.

There's a band, there's music

And the flags are flying, too.

The grass is so green,

It's like never before,

It's Opening Day,

I can be a kid once more.

VERSE

Now will the champs repeat in the summer heat?

Will the races go down to the wire?

In April ev'ry team has a chance to wear the ring.

And there's a rookie phenom

Who tore up the farm,

And the fans never seem to get tired

Of chasing the dreams that dance in the air ev'ry spring.

CHORUS

Yeah, the robin is here,

And the sky is so blue.

There's a band, and there's music,

The flags are flying, too.

The grass is so green,

It's like never before,

Yeah, it's Opening Day,

I can be a kid once more.

BRIDGE

So open the gates

And let the people in.

Let the games begin.

And may the home team always win!

CHORUS

The robin is here,

The sky, so blue.

There's a band, and there's music,

And the flags are flyin', too.

The grass is so green,

It's like never before,

It's Opening Day,

Yes, it's Opening Day,

It's Opening Day

And we all can be kids once more.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

FSWisconsin appears to be broadcasting the 9/28/2008 game tonight, from 7:00-10:00 PM CDT. From 10:00-10:30PM is the Brewers Season in Review (presumably from 2008). Just in case anyone wants to incorporate that into their season opening rituals.

I have to decide which Brewers shirt to wear to work tomorrow. It might just have to be a t-shirt under a sweater, but then the question is which t-shirt.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I usually find myself parked in front of my television with a plethora of delicious snacks and a few beers, watching the game in all of its non-HD glory on my smallish screen. This year, though, I was lucky enough to get a 9-pack of tickets as a birthday gift from my brothers, so I'll be at the game, tailgating and enjoying the atmosphere of gleeful Brewers fans.

I'll be at the game, tailgating for 4-5 hours, enjoying some fine Miller products and brats. Usually toss some bags, throw a football around and just have 1 big old party with about 12-14 friends.

And starting last year...I shave my head except for the "M" Brewers logo. That doesn't sound right, I shave everything off except for the M on the back of my head. Yes, I will have the Brewers logo, in hair, on the back of my head. It's pretty sweet. And pretty scary that I actually do that.

And starting last year...I shave my head except for the "M" Brewers logo. That doesn't sound right, I shave everything off except for the M on the back of my head. Yes, I will have the Brewers logo, in hair, on the back of my head.
Might you be willing to post a photo of your hair logo?

And starting last year...I shave my head except for the "M" Brewers logo. That doesn't sound right, I shave everything off except for the M on the back of my head. Yes, I will have the Brewers logo, in hair, on the back of my head.
Might you be willing to post a photo of your hair logo?

Sure, as soon as I can find one...and actually figure out how to post it on here.

OK, I found one. It's kinda small and not that easy to see...but I think you'll get the idea. I hope I'm doing this right....

http://images.yuku.com/image/pjpeg/8b325939d18047add52415801bf1a202402bf62.pjpg

Wow. Do you maintain that all season?

Before you answer, let me point out that since you started doing this last year, which means the Brewers' are 1-for-1 in making the playoffs since you started doing this. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Me and my group gather at a friends apartment in Milwaukee the night before. We have mass amounts of cheap snacks and very cheap beer and watch baseball movies. Most specifically the Brewer year in review tapes 1987 1988 1989 and the Robin Yount to Cooperstown video.

We then wake up early get dressed and make a re way to Miller Park general lots. We set up shop with a grill small wooden table chairs and lots of food and beer sometimes a keg.

The one thing that sets us apart from other groups is the giant Navy Blue Milwaukee flag we hang on a 20ft pole. The flag was flown in 2005 at the old Bush Stadium it is 7 ft by about 5ft in length.

If you see it stop by and say hi I t is 20ft in the air so it is hard not to see it http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n176/Zachlaka/brewers/StLouisOldBushStadiumFlag.jpg

http://i112.photobucket.com/albums/n176/Zachlaka/brewers/StLouisOldBushStadiumFlag2.jpg

Wow. Do you maintain that all season?

Before you answer, let me point out that since you started doing this last year, which means the Brewers' are 1-for-1 in making the playoffs since you started doing this. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

No, can't say that I maintained it for the season...I don't think my place of employment would really allow that. Though I did keep it through the first weekend of the season last year and then brought it back for the home playoff games.

I'll be doing it again Thursday night...so if you see a guy walking around the stadium on Friday with an M on the back of his head, there's a good chance it's me...feel free to say hello http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived