Brewer Fanatic

TGJ Not On Opening Day Roster; Latest -- Feature Article (Gwynn Thriving)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
First of all, I just want to say hi. I have been a long time reader and finally decided to start posting. I agree that this trade will probably be meaningless when it is all said and done. However, if Gwynn is somehow able to keep up this pace, we may regret this trade next year if we don't resign Cameron and are looking for a center fielder.

It's funny that article doesn't say anything to the tune of ..."and with every strikeout, we're reminded how he ISN'T his father."

He's struck out 22 times in 112 ABs, already more than Sr. did in eight of his full seasons.

To his credit, Jr's walk rate is a bit better than it was in Milwaukee.

Good for Gwynn would require him doing well lately, which he hasn't. I mean seriously a small BABIP blip doesn't mean anything and he has stunk for the last week+.

TGJ has not been great the last 7 games, but is still trending OK in SD and has favorable offensive numbers over Cameron for the same time period.

Edit: But not completely favorable over Cam, as TGJ's OBP kills the complete argument. Still more R, RBI, and better slugging at a meager .320.

If his skills set doesn't play well in SD it isn't going to play anywhere. A big park with lots of space should play into a slap hitter with speed. It should also increase his value defensively.

If we actually played Gerut we might see who got the better end of the deal but as long as Gerut sits on the bench the trade was just meaningless.

I don't want to go to go far off topic but this has been my only criticism of Macha so far. He really needs to rethink how he handles the bench players or he'll never have one worth anything.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

No kidding, would it kill the team to have Gerut get a start vs. a RH pitcher for Hart or Cameron once a week for each of them? It would even give the team a RH pinch hitter off the bench besides Rivera for late in the game.

Another gushing article about TGJ in San Diego, this time from ESPN.

"How did the Brewers re-pay Little T in 2008? They tried to replace him."

As if the hit against Hoffman (which was much more devastating to the Pads than it was celebratory to the Crew) was the be-all, end-all of TGJ's '07 season--his Milwaukee career, for that.

Theer's a reason he wasn't picked up by anyone at the beginning of the year. Best of luck to TGJ in SD, but Milwaukee had seen enough of him.

This just adds more proof that ESPN hates the Brewers

But seriously, the only reason this is a story is because Tony Sr. played in San Diego, as well. If Tony Sr. played for Seattle, then Tony Jr. wouldn't be getting any spotlight at all.

I read that and winced, too, but otherwise the ESPN article is very, very good. It's a little long, but if you have some time to kill it's worth it. I also hope he does well in San Diego...by all accounts he seems like a great guy, and it's very cool to see Tony Sr. so excited about the deal. It's a deal that's brought a lot of excitement for a San Diego fanbase that hasn't had much to cheer about this year. Gerut hasn't panned out so well for the Brewers, but it was a deal that I think had to be made if Tony was ever going to have success.

"[baseball]'s a stupid game sometimes." -- Ryan Braun

Twitter

Well, it happened... Gwynn is no longer hitting over .300. Now is the time to see what he is really made of. I got faith that he'll prove that he can contribute and do a lot of little things to stay in the big leagues for a long time. Striking while the iron is cold. Also Jody Gerut? He hasn't seen any playing time. I saw him in Cleveland and it seemed like he had one good year but then what else did he do? In 2003 he hit .279-22-75. Last year he hit a career high .296 for the Padres. It looks like he has some speed to offer in the low minors but that part of his game has withered a bit. He's 31 years old and has no role on the team. I hope they can figure out what to do with him because otherwise he's wasting a roster spot. Don't him and Catalanotto have the exact same role?

Gerut had a nice year last year, I'd take him over Chris Duffy any day. I wish Macha would give him more regular playing time, because it would be hard for anyone to get going with the amount of at bats he's gotten (32 in 6 weeks). It seems almost like he's morphed into the new Gwynn for the Brewers..... limited at bats, and derided by fans.

Gerut is Gwynn with a little more power basically so it isn't like this was a huge upgrade. The fact we aren't even playing him means the trade really can't have mattered though.

By the end of the year Gwynn's OPS will be under .700 and probably under .650 and nobody will be talking about this anymore.

With Corey Hart continuing to stink on ice half way through the season, any theories as to why Gerut has not been given any real opportunity? I believe the guy has a grand total of 35 AB's since he has been here, even though he has demonstrated an ability to hut as recently as last season (even this season w/SD away from petco). With 4 or 5 straight RHPs coming up, is there any reason not to throw him in the lead off spot this week try to see what we have in him if anything, or is giving up Hart's .300 OBP and 68 Ks too risky?

Unfortunately Macha really seems to look at "what have you done for me lately." He doesn't let his bench players play much unless they give results and they don't get enough playing time to be successful. Maddening circle. Being a starter seems to make a player immune from this.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

Not particularly indicative of anything, but TGJ broke up Lincecum's no-hitter in the late innings out here last night (like his Dad did three times in his career, apprently).

They ended up losing all the same, but it reminded me of his winning sac fly on Opening Day last year and his hit against Trevor on the last game of '07. I don't know if I'd necessarily call him "clutch" but he does have a knack for popping up in weird little moments like that--hopefully Gerut can do the same at some point this season.

Archived