Brewer Fanatic

TGJ Not On Opening Day Roster; Latest -- Feature Article (Gwynn Thriving)

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Very happy for Nelson too, he's earned it with all the time he's put in, very happy for both these guys!

Usually in sports you earn a spot by being good. Too bad the Brewers aren't in a position to choose players on that basis.

Very happy for Nelson too, he's earned it with all the time he's put in, very happy for both these guys!
Usually in sports you earn a spot by being good. Too bad the Brewers aren't in a position to choose players on that basis.
Maybe someday you'll quit hating on him and realize he actually has value.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

The Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel reports Tony Gwynn Jr. was indeed placed on waivers and now Melvin must play the waiting game on whether he clears waivers. My guess is the Padres may have an interest in snagging him due to the family connection.

What is more interesting is this little snippet from the article:

Melvin said players in question would not be told they made the club until after the second of two exhibition games Saturday night in Los Angeles. There's always the chance of an addition from outside the organization, and the Brewers are monitoring the waiver wire.

Makes me wonder if they are either looking to trade TGJ for another prospect with a minor league option left to burn.

It sounds like waivers.

I actually think the Brewers feel as though they might get to keep him. He really is a non-prospect. If he ends up in the minor leagues, he might as well say in Milwaukee were he has friends and a possible opening in CF next year.

Unless of course San Diego is interested.

As much as I hate to say this... TGJ's time with the Brewers has pretty much run out. With this upcoming season being the "make-or-break" year in which we will know with 100 percent certainty if Lorenzo Cain is someone to be relied upon, there just does not seem much promise left for TGJ within the organization.

Also, I was disappointed in his development within the system. The only real tool that he could put to use in the Majors is speed, and as the old saying goes, "You can't steal first."

But I can't say I am surprised or anything about the end result of TGJ. But there was a time when he and Prince were friends in Beloit and now suddenly Fielder, two years younger, has totaly leapfrogged him in every aspect of the game. It is actually kind of a sad story. As I look at the Beloit Snappers 2004 Magnetic schedule I have, there are three players: Fielder, Weeks and TGJ on it. Guess who the odd man out is? But what happened to his potential? Did he simply plateau at a certain level of the minors?

Makes me wonder if they are either looking to trade TGJ for another prospect with a minor league option left to burn.

While I'd love to see them get something in return for TGJ, the article on milwaukeebrewers.com makes it sound more like they're scouring all of the other teams' waiver wires to see if there's anyone out there the Brewers want to pick up.

The article also mentions that the Nashville roster will be pretty full in the OF, so the Crew may just want to get rid of him. I'd think that some team would pick him up as a 4th or 5th OF. At the very least, he could be a defensive replacement for a team that has a bad fielding OF. Plus, his name alone could bring in some fans to a team that's rebuilding.

With this upcoming season being the "make-or-break" year in which we will know with 100 percent certainty if Lorenzo Cain is someone to be relied upon, there just does not seem much promise left for TGJ within the organization.

I agree that TGJ's time is likely done, but Cain seems destined for AA this season, so it's hard to say it's his "make or break" year. The only reason I'd think the Brewers may want TGJ back is as insurance against Cain not being ready in 2010. What is Duffy's contract status? Will he be around next season if needed?

"The most successful (people) know that performance over the long haul is what counts. If you can seize the day, great. But never forget that there are days yet to come."

~Bill Walsh

TGJ is not a major league starter, pure and simple. He is decent but not great defensively, he is below replacement level in power and OBP and he is relatlively fast but not amazingly so. He displays above average skills in a few areas and below replacement level in others and the final mix is a Brady Clark style 4th OF most likely. Maybe he'll luck into a full season or two with a crappy team but that is the upside at this point.

TGJ seems to be a really nice guy. I hope he gets a better chance with a different team.
He was given a chance but never performed at a level that would give him a shot in the bigs. Take a look at his minor league states and please tell us what stand outs there as a big league skill?? Only thing that I see is that he could be a defensive replacement OFer at the big league level. Brewers dont need that type player.

Gwynn missed his big chance when he got hurt last year and couldn't play during Cameron's suspension. Had he been healthy and played decently, the Brewers wouldn't have gone out and brought in a guy like Duffy. He only dug himself deeper by getting hurt again this spring.

Gwynn missed his big chance when he got hurt last year and couldn't play during Cameron's suspension. Had he been healthy and played decently, the Brewers wouldn't have gone out and brought in a guy like Duffy. He only dug himself deeper by getting hurt again this spring.
Yeah, you could see the writing on the wall weeks ago, when Macha said that a sub has to be able to stay healthy.

Question: How can we trade Gwyn when teams know he's about to go on waivers? Wouldn't that carry 0 value?

I'm sad to see him go, I always wanted TGJ to make it. I love the speedy CF type that plays good D but he could never put it all together. He always seemed likeable and very happy to be out on the baseball field. Hope he makes it somewhere else!

I think at this point Gwynn would be better off with a different team. He's likable enough but he is not good enough to really be useful to a team who has playoff hopes.

Good luck TGJ if you don't make it as a player you still may be able to stick around in the game as a coach or something. What ever capacity it is you are a class act and should be proud of yourself. It is far better to be a good person than a great player. That never leaves you.

There needs to be a King Thames version of the bible.

I am very glad to see Brad Nelson on the roster. I just hope he doesn't get buried on the bench. I can see him spelling Fielder at first base from time to time as well. Unfortunately as long as he's in the outfield he'll never exactly be a good glove type defender, which seems to have been a Brewers theme for a while (except the obvious Hardy and Cameron). I'd like to see him have a breakout year and get a multi year contract. Imagine if we can pencil him in for .280 with .360 OBP and 25-30 HR's with 80+ RBI. That would allow us to trade Fielder while his value is higher and bring in a boatload of young talent.

I am very glad to see Brad Nelson on the roster. I just hope he doesn't get buried on the bench. I can see him spelling Fielder at first base from time to time as well. Unfortunately as long as he's in the outfield he'll never exactly be a good glove type defender, which seems to have been a Brewers theme for a while (except the obvious Hardy and Cameron). I'd like to see him have a breakout year and get a multi year contract. Imagine if we can pencil him in for .280 with .360 OBP and 25-30 HR's with 80+ RBI. That would allow us to trade Fielder while his value is higher and bring in a boatload of young talent.
I am not sure how often guys who are pre-arby and are scheduled to be 5th OF types get multi-year deals. Even if Nelson gets 250 at bats and comes in with an .800 OPS I wouldnt give him a multi year deal for another 3 or 4 years. He isnt going to be Ryan Braun.

Hey, Melvin got CV for Wayne Franklin and Shouse for Enrique Cruz, and I don't see TGJ as being much worse than either of those two. Never count out Melvin for getting a nugget in return for nothing.

TGJ, we wish you well.

Archived