Brewer Fanatic

Anyone think Melvin regrets not re-signing Branyan?

I know we have plenty of guys to play 3rd base (and 1st for that matter), but I guess I am somewhat confused as to why we let Russell go while we re-signed Lamb. Branyan was more than adequate defensively last year, is a good late game PH option, and has had a great spring (.314 avg, 1.074 OPS, 7 HR's in a team high 70 AB's). Not to mention the fact the guy may just have resurrected our season last year. Obviously Lamb did not make the team in the end, but to me Branyan is better in pretty much every aspect of the game. I guess this point is moot, but I can't help but wonder why. I doubt it was a money thing (unless Branyan was looking for a 2 yr deal??) Thoughts?

I don't think The Muscle would've picked Milwaukee over Seattle if the money was equal. We really couldn't match the playing time he'll get. Last I heard, he was going to be the starter at 1B for Seattle. I would have loved to have him back. I got to see him crush in Nashville early last year, but to me it's clear he can start for non-playoff type teams and maybe turn that into more money down the road. The Muscle has a huge swing and to me he's the type of guy that is better served playing everyday be it in AAA or MLB in order for him to rake. He shows a lot of rust when he's sitting for long periods. To me, it came down to playing time and I think Melvin understood that.

Simply put no.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I don't think The Muscle would've picked Milwaukee over Seattle if the money was equal. We really couldn't match the playing time he'll get.

I agree with this. My hope is that Hall goes out and proves he can still hit RHP so the point becomes moot(not mute). If Hall doesn't hit RHP then we are going to be missing Branyan and watching Counsell as the big part of the 3B platoon. ugh

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I vote Gamel for a platoon role in June! CC can be his late inning defensive replacement if necessary! I'm thinking a more solid plan there never was...

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I don't know about well above average. Last year, he was a hot bat who we rode for a while. I think it definitely says something, though, that a guy like Zdurenciek who was familiar with him went and signed him.

Branyan will finally stay healthy and have 550 at bats. The result will be Branyan's career year, thanks to playing a less demanding position. Russell will be happy, as will my fantasy teams

I Regret it 100%...Branyan is easily my favorite brewer. Was http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/frown.gif

He was cheap, you knew what you were getting and he wanted to be here. I don't blame Melvin, but I think he is going to be a good player for SEA this year.

I love Branyan, I believe he could be a dominant player if he ever played a full season, but he's as fragile as they come. Its a shame really. Massive power wasted.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

The best thing about losing Branyan and CC is that now neither of them can taint their amazing 2008 season. Without those two, the Brewers never would have made the playoffs. I'll always remember them fondly.

Well said FTJ.

I vote Gamel for a platoon role in June! CC can be his late inning defensive replacement if necessary! I'm thinking a more solid plan there never was...
Please no Gamel. I would hate to waste a year of service time for a platoon player. Unfortunately if Hall can't hit RHP this might be our best option. Hopefully Hall hits RHP this year.

Fan is short for fanatic.

I blame Wang.

I don't think it is that simple, he probably asked if he could have a full time role vs righties and we didn't want to give him one so he moved to another team. His defense is slightly below average at 3B and the chance to play full time against RHP at 1B is a perfect match for him even if that park is going to hurt him a bit. Melvin would have liked him back I'm sure, he just didn't have the situation that Branyan wanted to play under.

Branyan, Lamb. What's the difference? They are both very marginal major league players. Branyan may have caught a break in signing with a very bad Seattle team where there is no one to replace him. He's filler material until Seattle can develop, trade for or sign a replacementand nothing more. I give him one year. I give him credit for carving out a career though with border line talent. He's the kind of player like Tony Gwynn Jr. If TGJ leaves the organization you'll likely never hear about him again yet there are multiple threads on this board about him. Anyone remember Pete Rose Jr? I didn't think so.

Branyan isn't talentless... He's got tremendous power, I won't take that away from him.

- Plato

- Plato

I too have a man crush on Russell. But Seattle gave him perhaps his last real chance to establish a major league career as an everyday player. He was right to move on. I hope he can keep his average around .250 and hit 40 homers.

Archived