Brewer Fanatic

uni watch season preview

patrickgpe

i know there is a uni-watch thread somewhere but can't find it, Anyway here are the prevalent uniform changes for the upcoming season.

http://sports.espn.go.com.../090402&sportCat=mlb

After going through it, the new rangers uniforms are pretty hideous and i like the O's are going to "Baltimore" on the road jerseys and I really like what the Nats did with their road uniforms.

Thanks for linking that, Patrick. I really like the changes the BoSox (esp. that alternate cap... awesome) & O's have made.

Agreed with Gobias also on Pittsburgh's changes. Nice.

Much respect to Paul Lukas for linking so many images as text. That had to be a pain to type! http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

The "Baltimore" on the road jerseys is long overdue. I like the Maryland flag patch, but I don't like the new bird as well and I wish they scrap the "O's" logo on their alternate cap. I'd rather see the alternate cap use the old cartoon bird logo.

I liked the Pirates' vest. Oh well, nobody called me.

yeah i have been wanting that since they got rid of it in '94. I understand the reasons why Brewers is on the road uniforms, but I don't really think having Milwaukee on the road uniforms alienates anyone outside of SE Wisconsin.

Here are my suggestions for the Brewers. . .

1) Definitely put the word "Milwaukee" on the road jerseys.

2) Put the ball-and-glove logo as a shoulder patch on the home and road jerseys. The logo should have the modern colors.

3) Create an alternate hat which has the ball-and-glove logo in the modern colors. It can be used once in a while instead of the "M" hats.

4) Keep the retro-fridays for those who enjoy the retro look.

2) Put the ball-and-glove logo as a shoulder patch on the home and road jerseys. The logo should have the modern colors

I really agree, and have wished they'd do some form of modernization of the ball & glove logo for years

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Here are my suggestions for the Brewers. . .

1) Definitely put the word "Milwaukee" on the road jerseys.

2) Put the ball-and-glove logo as a shoulder patch on the home and road jerseys. The logo should have the modern colors.

3) Create an alternate hat which has the ball-and-glove logo in the modern colors. It can be used once in a while instead of the "M" hats.

4) Keep the retro-fridays for those who enjoy the retro look.

Wow, AJAY this is perfect. All the changed I would make for the Brewers. My biggest thing is they need to put "Milwaukee" across the road jerseys instead of "Brewers". That would make me really happy. Any of the other suggestions you made would be icing on the cake.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Back to the original "uni watch" I don't understand the navy on the Red Sox road jerseys. They're the RED sox and there's barely any red.
For those of us who grew up watching Boston in the '80s, that's similar to their road look at that time. No names on the back, as I recall, and the "Boston" on the front was very plain.

Still, it's a pretty boring look. They may be along the lines of "classic" in some folks' minds, but that doesn't keep them from being boring.

- I do like the red Texas look.

- I like Washington's updated look LESS than the previous look. Maybe it starts with the cursive W. I'd rather see them establish their own identity than try to hang onto part of an identity that was never theirs OR latching onto the last version of the Expos' look, which was corporate and boring (not unlike most of their teams who wore that look, too).

- Baltimore's orange-on-black without any sort of trim? Yuck.

- The Twins' retro alternates are okay but hearken back to a time when they just weren't so good. Makes me think of my Bombo Rivera & Sal Butera baseball cards.

- Dig the new Rays alternate jersey.

- I liked the Pittsburgh vests. As one of few teams that had them, there was an appealing character about them. The sleeved gray & white jerseys point out the overall blandness of their jerseys.

I think it's worth pointing out that the Brewers had "Milwaukee" on their road uniforms not just on the '78-'93 unis, but also on the '94-'99 ones, too -- up 'til '94 as suggested earlier in the thread. They lost "Milwaukee" when they went to the current design.

Ajay, I almost fully agree with your old logo/new colors & similar sleeve patch ideas. I was touting that same idea a few years ago when Attanasio left us hanging for a few months that September by stating there would be a new uniform design coming that winter. Unfortunately, all we got was the retro look, nothing really new or forward-thinking.

On the Brewers' powder blue, those things were gone in the mid-'80s -- and not a minute too soon! When Willie Randolph manned 2B for a year and finished in the top 10 in AL batting ('87?), the road unis were gray.

MNBrew, since you just mentioned the Nationals and with this being a Uniwatch topic... I do agree with Paul Lukas that the Nationals "W" resembles the Walgreens logo way too much.

Does anyone realize the Washington Nationals and the Walgreens "w" looks too much alike?

http://dcist.com/attachments/dcist_graham/Washington_Nationals3.jpg

http://allpharmacyjobs.com/images/walgreens_logo_lg.jpg

On the Brewers' powder blue, those things were gone in the mid-'80s -- and not a minute too soon! When Willie Randolph manned 2B for a year and finished in the top 10 in AL batting ('87?), the road unis were gray.

1986 was the first year of gray road jerseys for the Brewers. They were exactly the same style as the version of powder blues worn from 1978-1985, except gray. In 1990, the Brewers tweaked their design slightly, going to button-down jerseys, script lettering on the home jersey, and adding a tail to the "Milwaukee" and tweaking the trim on the road jerseys. Those were the jerseys that Willie Randolph wore (he played here in 1991; the Brewers wore those jerseys from 1990-1993).

EDIT: I might add, I am the proud owner of a '86-'89 Paul Molitor gray road jersey. Those jerseys are tough to find, because most everything retro is either the home pinstripes or powder blue, but good old eBay came through for me. Since those were the years that I really started to get into baseball as a little kid, those are the jerseys that I most associate with the Brewers and happy memories. The powder blues are OK, but I like the gray unis, the solid blue cap, and the solid blue helmet.

Archived