Brewer Fanatic

MP concession prices for 2009 (Some raised, some lowered)

hawing

JSOnline link

Prices for ten concession items are being lowered by 25 cents, and prices are rising by 25 cents for items sold by vendors in the stands. Otherwise, concessions cost the same as in 2008. There will also be "value meal" packages (fries/soda/hot dog for $9.75 and fries/soda/brat for $10).

Another JSOnline blog entry suggests that the rules on carry-in food and drink have not changed from 2008. Hurray.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

JSOnline link

Prices for ten concession items are being lowered by 25 cents, and prices are rising by 25 cents for items sold by vendors in the stands.

When I read the part in bold, I assumed you meant a price difference for buying in the stands as opposed to the concourse, but the article makes it sound like items *typically* sold in the stands are going up 25 cents regardless of where the purchase is made. The fact that beer is going up even higher in price is completely ridiculous and further compels me to over-drink in the parking lot so as not to pay 1 dime to SportService and the Brewers. Complete gouging.

EDIT: It might just be the plastic bottles of beer that's going up in price, those might only be sold in the stands.

"We all know he is going to be a flaming pile of Suppan by that time." -fondybrewfan

I believe you're right. Only cups of beer are offered at concession stands. It's very ironic because the most expensive beverage and the one most likely to be consumer by drunks is the only one that doesn't come with a lid.

Am I imagining this or was there a thread a while ago about the carry-in rules changing?

bani1717 wrote:

Am I imagining this or was there a thread a while ago about the carry-in rules changing?

Was being discussed last fall - Miller Park food policy change
Indeed, you were not imagining this. I've checked the Brewers' website periodically since January, and only in the last week or two was the "Miller Park A to Z" section published for 2009. Besides the whole don't-gouge-us issue, the prospect of no more carry-in food became an issue for our household when my S.O. was diagnosed as diabetic a week into the new year. A lot of ballpark food is now off-limits to him, but he probably shouldn't go without any food for the length of a game.

I interpreted the price hike as applying only to items bought from a vendor in the stands; i.e. if you can resist that 'convenience', you can save a quarter. For example, cotton candy purchased at the kid concession stand appears to cost less than cotton candy sold at your seat.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

I believe you're right. Only cups of beer are offered at concession stands. It's very ironic because the most expensive beverage and the one most likely to be consumer by drunks is the only one that doesn't come with a lid.
Except the drunks are more likely to spill, then have to buy a full new beverage...makes sense for more sales!

I don't understand how they can call that a value meal with a straight face. Where does the value come in when paying $10 for a hot dog, fries and a drink. I think it will eventually get to the point where the high prices result in significantly less sales to the point where they are forced to lower the prices.

You know how easy it is to pick up a 6 pack of plastic Miller Lite bottles and sneak them in under your clothes, especially when it's chilly out? A 6 pack of plastic bottles is $6 and my two buddies and I each take two in. 6 beers in the park costs over $42!!!

The concessions stands will always thrive because on any given night, 2/3rds of the attendance is there for a treat and get to splurge a little. They could raise beer prices to $10 and you'd still see the frat boys and young businessmen handing over $50-$60 for a round of brews.

I don't understand how they can call that a value meal with a straight face. Where does the value come in when paying $10 for a hot dog, fries and a drink. I think it will eventually get to the point where the high prices result in significantly less sales to the point where they are forced to lower the prices.

How many times have we heard this before? I would venture to say that the prices are more likely to hold then see any significant drop (.25 isn't significant in my book).

You probably save $1-$1.50, assuming it's not a kiddy-sized drink.

We have it good here in Milwaukee. A beer at Madison Square Garden will cost you $8.75. I wouldn't be surprised if the Brewers had the most inexpensive concessions in pro sports.

We have it good here in Milwaukee. A beer at Madison Square Garden will cost you $8.75. I wouldn't be surprised if the Brewers had the most inexpensive concessions in pro sports.
I agree totally, most of the places I've been are a lot more expensive than Miller Park, or they have a lot smaller sizes. The whole being able to carry in food still just baffles me. Does anyone know of any other places that do that? I work in the concession industry so I can kind of understand where they are coming from. Also, the Brewers don't run the concessions, a company is sub-contracted out to do that. They will charge as much as someone is willing to pay.

I do agree that between relatively cheap parking, ability to tailgate before games, and the current food/beverage take in policy, we have it pretty good. Most professional baseball and sports teams simply do not offer those kind of things. If I can pay about 10 bucks to park close by, eat and drink all I want before the game, bring in my own bottled beverages...and then have to pay 7 bucks or whatever for a beer, aren't I still coming out ahead?
The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

The Cost of Living in Milwaukee is also a lot less than most other MLB cities so it would make sense for goods and services to be cheaper. I would guess that if you take our concession prices and make a cost of living adjustment they are probably about equal if not more expensive than in most other cities.

The fact that they allow containers in the stadium is a good deal though.

I interpreted the price hike as applying only to items bought from a vendor in the stands; i.e. if you can resist that 'convenience', you can save a quarter. For example, cotton candy purchased at the kid concession stand appears to cost less than cotton candy sold at your seat.
That extra quarter "convenience charge" helps the vendors out as well. I was a peanut vendor during the last few years of County Stadium and the first few years of Miller Park. When the team switched stadiums, the price of peanuts went up from $3.00 a bag to $3.25. That extra quarter got me a lot more money in tips, because lots of fans are much more likely to say "keep the silver" and not bother fumbling with coins than they are to send an extra bill down the aisle. 75 extra cents a bag adds up pretty quickly. I have no idea what any of the concessions cost these days (I generally stuff myself tailgating and don't buy food), but that extra quarter in the stands might be there to help the vendors out a little bit.

You know how easy it is to pick up a 6 pack of plastic Miller Lite bottles and sneak them in under your clothes, especially when it's chilly out? A 6 pack of plastic bottles is $6 and my two buddies and I each take two in. 6 beers in the park costs over $42!!!

If they charged $3, would you still do it? Just curious, as to what the price would need to be for you decide it was not worth sneaking beers in.

BTW, it would only have been $39 for 6 16 oz bottles in the park last year and $40.50 this year, $42 is an exxageration http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

Archived