Brewer Fanatic

Barry Bonds may be available.

link:

www.mercurynews.com/giant...ck_check=1

According to that, Barry Bonds may be traded at some point this year. Considering that the Brewers offensive weakness is OBP, Bonds would be the perfect fit in LF to take over for the platoon (which is doing pretty well, but the OBP isn't there). Actually, considering that Bonds is at least the best player since WIllie Mays, he'd be a perfect fit on any team.

He's leading the majors in OBP, and he's 5th in the NL in slugging. His defense has the reputation of being bad, but it isn't. It's merely mediocre, which is fine.

How about this lineup down the stretch?:

Weeks

Hart

Bonds

Fielder

Braun

Hardy

Hall

Estrada

Jeez, that would be great. That lineup would score a lot of runs, with Weeks and Hart getting onbase in front of Bonds, Bonds driving them in and getting on base in front of Fielder, and Fielder driving him in and getting on base in front of Ryan and JJ. If Bill continues to heat up, all the better.

Bonds crushes lefties to the tune of a .985 OPS for his career, so no platoon worries with him and Fielder stacked.

Another option (if you believe in mitchell lichtman's research) would be:

Weeks

Bonds

Braun

Fielder

Hart

Hardy

Hall

Estrada

I realize that Bonds is probably the most hated sports figure since Muhammad Ali (Ali is loved now, but wasn't at the time) but he can really play. The Brewers aren't trying to win Miss Congeniality, they are trying to win the WS.

Bonds is a 10 and 5 guy, so he can veto any trade, but the Brewers have a great chance to make the postseason and they are the team that Hank Aaron last played for. I could see him oking a trade here. The media here is not ferocious like it is in NY, Boston, Philly, or Chi (or even LA), which would probably be a good selling point.

All that said, I doubt the Giants would just give him away. They would probably want some high-level hitting prospects in return and the Brewers don't really have any. They would probably have interest in Jenkins, as he'd be the youngest everyday player on their team, but beyond that, I'm not sure what kind of package the Brewers could put together. Maybe Jenkins, Gwynn, Crabbe, and Cole Gillespie or something like that?

All the"rotten guy" stuff aside, I still wouldn't think of it. The Giants will want a huge haul for a guy who's paid quite handsomely and could break down at any point - leaving you with a lemon and negating anything you planned to get out of your huge mid-season trade. If I really wanted to see the team throw out a huge payment, I'd rather get the ever-popular Crawford, though if we're talking about the D-Rays I'd rather get Baldelli after shipping Mench out of town, since the price would be tolerable.

Baldelli would def. make more sense than Crawford, imo.

However, neither one addresses the Brewers offensive weakness, which is OBP. Bonds does. Also, I'm not sure they will want that much for him if they do deal him. He's 43 and he's a rent-a-player (only signed through this year). Jenkins and a couple hitting prospects (excluding Salome and LaPorta) would be a tolerable price to pay, imo.

How do you mean Jenkins isn't part of saving money? Jenkins makes almost $9 million less than Bonds this year, which is still a lot of savings. Also, Jenkins is a good ML player and he's a FA, so the Giants can decide whether they want to keep him or not. I'm not saying they definitely would want Jenkins, just that they might.

Also, Oakland is very close to SF, but the Brewers have a much better shot at making the playoffs then the A's do, and they are in Bonds's preferred NL.

I just dont find it fair that Bonds gets singled out as Mr Steroid, yet we have Turnbow right in our backyard and he is loved. The difference between Bonds and Turnbow is that Turnbow was caught and now he gets forgiven. Nobody knows if he ever really stopped using, maybe he just got smarter like the others who havent gotten caught.

This whole era deserves an * next to their names.

No. Absolutely not. But not because of the steroid issue. We have fantastic team chemistry. There is a great mix of older guys, younger guys and guys inbetween. You want to jeopardize that and bring a self-centered, egomaniac like Bonds? Why? Just to up the OBP? No way. No way. No way. I wouldn't watch if they did it.

Archived