Brewer Fanatic

LF that is Overbay?

I have decided. The Brewers need is a LF who plays like Lyle Overbay. Doubles, average, and all the other things that Lyle did so well when he was here. Adam Dunn would have been a nice addition, but I believe we need average, hits and OBP (even though Dunn's is high) more than the power that Dunn brings.

Who plays the OF, i.e. Left Field, that we can get who does all these things well? Do we have anyone in our system that also plays like this? Perhaps we have someone in our system who plays more like this than having to deal for someone like this, but if we don't, who is out there that we could get to do these things for us THIS season?

(Wasn't sure if this was a trade proposal or major league discussion, so I posted here)

I agree. OBP is exactly what the Brewers need more of, and just average power in LF would be fine.

Only guy that really comes to mind would be Brian Giles. He's under contract next season for $9 mil, and then has a $9 mil option with a $3 mil buyout for '09. I doubt the Pads would trade him though.

I agree with you guys about the profile, and I don't have any good ideas of my own, but I have to dissent on both Giles and Sanders. Giles is 36 and hasn't hit for any power this season or last. He still walks, but his power outage makes him a well below-average hitter for a LF. Sanders is 39, and while he has played well when healthy, 40 year-old OFs are almost never the answer to any question worth asking.

Greg.

I have to dissent on both Giles and Sanders. Giles is 36 and hasn't hit for any power this season or last. He still walks, but his power outage makes him a well below-average hitter for a LF.

I think its very unlikely that he's even an option, but for argument sake...

Giles 2007

Home - .238 / .360 / .294 / .654

Away - .336 / .413 / .455 / .868 - 42 doubles, 12 homers in 162 games

Smaller sample, but its true of his entire time in San Diego, I'm just to lazy to post the other years of splits. Here's a link to his splits. The ballpark does hurt him a bit.

EDIT: Not quite to that extent though. Don't want to mislead.

Quote:
Too bad Overbay isnt as good an athlete as Mench, Carlos Lee and Manny Ramirez. If he was, maybe he could have played LF.

Yeah, what the heck, I still have a hard time believing that Overbay could only have played first base.

He seems far more athletic than at least Lee and Ramirez, yet they play out in left. Overbay wasn't the fasted of players when he was on the Brewers but he was at least as fast as Carlos if not faster.

A guy that comes to mind is Matt Murton. He's inexplicably in AAA for the Cubs because they couldn't find a spot for him in the OF.

His .297/.365/.444 (last year) would be a decent fit. Trading with the Cubs doesn't seem likely, though.

Archived