Brewer Fanatic

2009-04-01 Diamondbacks (Haren) at Brewers (Bush): 3:05 PM CDT [Brewers win, 8-7]

Mass Haas
Brewer Fanatic Staff

Audio Link for MLB Subscribers (Brian and Bill)

Box Score / Gameday Link

Media Notes Link includes the following --

ON THE MOUND: Also pitching today (subject to change) is RHP Todd Coffey and RHP Jorge Julio.

MINOR DETAILS: Joining the team today from minor-league camp is INF Brent Brewer (#96), OF Caleb Gindl (#97), OF Adam Stern (#90) and

OF Steffan Wilson (#93).

2B Rickie Weeks

LF Brad Nelson

SS J.J. Hardy

1B Prince Fielder

RF Corey Hart

CF Mike Cameron

3B Bill Hall

C Jason Kendall

RHP Dave Bush

The season can not start soon enough for Corey and JJ

You don't have an Adam Wainwright. Easily the best gentlemen in all of sports. You don't have the amount of real good old American men like the Cardinals do. Holliday, Wainwright, Skip, Berkman those 4 guys are incredible people

GhostofQuantrill

I believe McGehee took his first walk of the spring.

I have to admit - I didn't see much of a change in Weeks's stance when watching last night. Maybe I'll notice it more once I am able to watch him on a regular basis though.

I have to admit - I didn't see much of a change in Weeks's stance when watching last night. Maybe I'll notice it more once I am able to watch him on a regular basis though.
I thought the same thing last night, his bat waggle was still there and I thought I heard he stopped doing that. Need to see a side by side comparison.

Brewer has a quick bat, wow.

"You can discover more about a person in an hour of play than in a year of conversation."

- Plato

"Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something."

- Plato

I thought the same thing last night, his bat waggle was still there and I thought I heard he stopped doing that. Need to see a side by side comparison.
From what I have read and seen, he never got rid of the waggle-just slowed it down quite a bit. There was an article in the js in the past few days where Sveum was talking about Weeks needing to get the waggle stopped early enough before the pitch and when he does that he is hitting like .800 this spring

FYI this game will be re-aired at 8 PM CDT tonight on MLBN
[insert sarcastic black-out comment here]
Haha-pretty sure I will be surprised if it is actually on eventhough it is a re-airing
And lo and behold its blacked out! A re-airing of a ST game played half the country away. Does it get any more ridiculous?

Someone needs to explain the blackout rules to me. I watched an earlier Brewer game this spring on another FSN channel when it wasnt broadcast on FSNW, similar to today. I would have been able to watch it today had I kept the sports pack from DTV. Now why would MLBN then blackout the showing here, when the game is a replay that I could have anyhow had I had FSN-Arizona?

I actually saw the difference. Maybe because I was looking for a difference, but he freezes his waggle when the pitch comes in. I don't remember him doing that in the past.

I actually saw the difference. Maybe because I was looking for a difference, but he freezes his waggle when the pitch comes in. I don't remember him doing that in the past.
I didn't get to watch the game today, so his swing isn't fresh in my head, but here's a link to him from last year:

http://milwaukee.brewers.mlb.com/media/video.jsp?mid=200809263556018&c_id=mil

After watching that video though, his waggle may have slowed down a little this year, although it's not really fair for me to comment until I see him more. Is he still lifting his foot with his waggle/moving as much in general in the batters box?

Personally, I think the difference from Rickie v 2008 and Rickie v 2009 is quite apparent . And I haven't noticed his front foot coming off the ground during his waggle like last year
I just caught a replay on Rickie's final at-bat from today and he still does lift his foot a bit.

Personally, I think the difference from Rickie v 2008 and Rickie v 2009 is quite apparent . And I haven't noticed his front foot coming off the ground during his waggle like last year

Yeah me too. His stance is definitely a lot more "quiet". He sure put up some stinkers on the last two televised games, but I can't complain with his overall results this spring. It seems Svuem has done more in 2 months with the hitters than Skaalen did in 2 years.

I was wondering if that was the happy youngster. Daron Sutton was calling the game for the D-backs and he made no mention of the HY even after several replays of the catch and close-ups of his bright yellow t-shirt.

Archived