Brewer Fanatic

happy 40th birthday to the mlb milwaukee brewers

djoctagone

technically, their birthday was 31 march 1970 . . . in the late hours before midnight.

but most recognize april 1, 1970 as the day bud selig learned that he and his investors had acquired the seattle pilots.

little known fact: a reporter knew about the deal before selig did. the reporter called selig with the news.

some claim that because the mlb milwaukee brewers came to be on april fool's day, they will never win a world series.

Any of us old enough to remember when you heard the official news that the Braves would be leaving town after '64 (turns out they were forced to stay one more lame-duck year - '65) the feeling you had in the pit of your stomach for four seasons of no baseball at Milwaukee County Stadium.

So, thank you Mr. Selig

• 11 months later...
Along with this, I still don't understand why the Crew isn't doing anything to commemorate their 40th season of baseball.
Is this sarcasm?

Actually it was just announced that the original Opening Day pitching/catching battery (the names escape me at the moment) will be having the first pitch on Opening Day this season.

Any of us old enough to remember when you heard the official news that

the Braves would be leaving town after '64 (turns out they were forced

to stay one

more lame-duck year - '65) the feeling you had in the pit of your

stomach for four seasons of no baseball at Milwaukee County Stadium.

I was not, but my dad was. They broke his 13 year old heart. Had to have been dark days indeed for that four year span.

The Paul Molitor Statue at Miller Park: http://www.facebook.com/paulmolitorstatue

Actually it was just announced that the original Opening Day pitching/catching battery (the names escape me at the moment) will be having the first pitch on Opening Day this season.
Lew Krause and Phil Roof, I think. For a guy who pitched two pretty mediocre seasons for the Brewers, it seems that Krause has gotten a lot of notoriety (and free trips to Milwaukee) over the years for making this start.

Along with this, I still don't understand why the Crew isn't doing anything to commemorate their 40th season of baseball.

The Bobblehead series this season is commemorating memories from each of the 4 decades of Brewers baseball.

Is this sarcasm?
invader3k . . . cracked bat collector made that response a year ago today.

I'm told that the Braves' departure from Milwaukee in 1965 (and the subsequent absence of baseball in Milwaukee for the 1966-1969 seasons) turned my father against baseball for the rest of his life, which in turn might help explain how I didn't get interested until age 16.

The lack of Milwaukee baseball in those late 1960s years also contributed to my S.O. growing up a Cubs fan. He was 8 when the Braves left and 13 when the Brewers arrived - pretty significant formative years for a boy's baseball interests. Fortunately, I came along to save him, and he is now fully converted. http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

Community Moderator
I do not go nearly as far back as many here, but this is also Miller Park's 10th season already. That makes me feel old. There is now a growing generation of Brewers fans that never saw a game at County Stadium.

some claim that because the mlb milwaukee brewers came to be on april fool's day, they will never win a world series.

Some also claim the the cubs are cursed, and the red sox were cursed. I give this lesser known nonsense the same treatment as the other hogwash excuses fans use for their teams not winning.

( '_')

( '_')>⌐■-■

(⌐■-■)

Archived