Brewer Fanatic

Tradable Players and Players to Trade For..

Here are some players that are on the block in Milwaukee IMO:

Zach Jackson: Too Many other prospects, not much room. Could interest some teams.

Tony Gwynn Jr: Love him, But we have LaPorta comin up and no other room for him. He could be trade bait for a team lookin for a leadoff hitter.

Manny Parra: I think he will be in milwaukee before season's end but if not he could be traded due to no room for him.

Jose Capellan- Not pitching good for milwaukee, hasn't shown much and lost some serious velocity.

Cole Gillespie- I feel that gillespie wo'nt be needed and has some serious value.

Brad Nelson- Once a top prospect in milwaukee, maybe a change of scenary would help him.

Mark Rodgers- I still have hope for Rodgers but he hasn' t shown any health so he could have some value.

Geoff Jenkins and Kevin Mench- Both having solid seasons, major leaguers, proven offensive players, free agents at the end of the year, could have a lot of value.

Claudio Vargas- Having a good season in milwaukee, but with Villanueva showing hes a top pitcher in milwaukee, and Gallardo their top prospect i doubt he sticks around. Could interest a team needing a starter.

Dennis Sarfate- Throws in the mid to upper 90's with a good breaking ball. i feel he could be our closer next year if he steps it up, But i he is trade bait and could draw some attention.

Dave Bush- Not living up to expectations this year but proved he was a good starter last year and could draw some attention. He is also feeling pressure from Gallardo, Inman and Villanueva.

Here are some players that Could be available and affordable for milwaukee:

Eric Byrnes- A free agent at the end of the year who has always put up good numbers and have proved to be good starter.

Adam Dunn- Strikes out a lot but has alot of power and could be affordable with some pitching depth. He could add another bat that the brewers need.

Scott Linebrink- He has proven that he is one of the better relievers in baseball but might be over the brewer's price range. He could make our bullpen one of the best.

Chad Cordero- Cordero had a great season last year and has had a solid one this year as well. He could be another good arm to add to our bullpen and we could have 3 closers locking down a game.

I feel that we could really use some bullpen depth at the deadline and maybe an outfielder who can hit for power. Bobby Abreau is a possilbilty but would take Inman and probably a lot more. Torii Hunter, Ichiro, and Andrew Jones are others but could cost too much.

while i appreciate that we would have to trade some pretty good prospects to acquire good talent, i'm not sure i want to move parra or gillespie right now...TGJ might be a shrewd move, however...

the brewers won't get an impact player for any combination of bush, vargas, jenkins, mench, cappellan, or sarfate...though bush and vargas do have positive value...

jenkins playing ability is probably worth more than he is in trade

Byrnes isn't any better than 3-4 of the Crew's OF. Linebrink isn't going anywhere, SD is right in the race. Cordero is an option, but DC will get more than he's worth because he has mythical closer qualities.

Dunn would be an FA after the year.

Vargas or Bush would have a long list of suitors...they might be the 2nd or 3rd best SP to change teams at the deadline, but they aren't going anywhere.

Yeah, Byrnes' .872 OPS this year puts him behind 3-4 of Milwaukee's outfielders? Not hardly.

Byrnes is in a contract year and you are seeing the resuts. Hitting for average (.312), drawing walks (.370 OBP) hitting for power (.502 Slg. ), and stealing bases (12).

Byrnes would be an upgrade over Jenkins in every possible way. The problem is Arizona is 37-30 sitting one game out of the Wild Card, they are not going to be looking to deal a bat down the stretch, as much as they will be looking to add one. In other words, like Linebrink, Byrnes is going nowhere.

No way they would trade Mark Rogers with his stock this low. He still has a chance to rebound and be a good pitcher.

TGJ should have been traded a month ago. He has really worn me out. Way too many strike outs for a guy of his "quality"

I also think Zach Jackson is safe. While he looks unlikely to ever really contribute for the big league club. I think they will keep him stashed as a back up LHP with AAA talent.

In case Cappy ever goes down - we would at least have an LH option.

And why does Jenkins keep getting thrown into trade rumors. Our outfield has been our weakness so far - I can't imagine why we would trade away a productive member. He has more than done his job this year.

(And I am a card holder of the "I hate Jenkins" club)

Chris would almost certainly be a goner if he wasn't our only lefty in the rotation. I have a feeling that will make Melvin hesitant to get rid of him. Right now Vargas is much the same in terms of service time not quite as valuable as Cappy because of the handedness, but that would be my guess if any starter gets dealt. At this point though there's only two types of deals for the Brewers to do. One look for a rent a bullpen arm to replace Spurling/Capellan or two ditch a starting player and atleast one really good prospect for an All-star type player. This is the real difficulty of having a team filled with solid players. Finding improvements is difficult unless you shoot for the moon. The problem we'll face with any player that good is long term salary or alternatively giving up too much for a 1 year rental.

Byrnes is a decent player, but he's still just a .327/.454 hitter, and he's 31. His comparables are Casey Blake, Aaron Rowand, and Milton Bradley, all solid big leaguers, but none to get excited about. Geoff Jenkins, in a down year, did better than that last year, and his career of .349/.500 is far better.

I'd much have Jenkins, Hall, and Hart than Eric, and I think you can argue Gross, given his cheapness. As a platoon guy, I can easily see Gabe giving you an 800 OPS. Byrnes is a fine example of a guy teams overpay for because he's a "proven" entity, and has had a nice start to 2007. He will very likely regress to his norms that are well established.

In the spirit of who I'd like the brewers to go after, I think it would be nice if the brewers rented a potential free agent and then allowed him to walk after the year.

The brewers are where they are today because of their smart use of draft picks. I think it would be really nice if the brewers could add a couple of first round supplemental picks next year. the way to do that would be to trade for a potential free agent, and then allow him to sign elsewhere after the season. people keep saying look at how great Oakland is. Well they kept Zito rather than trading him, and they ended up with several supplemental draft picks when he left to rebuild their team. There are a lot of great players picked in those supplemental rounds. I remember the braves picking catcher Saltamachia with one of their first round supplemental picks.

So my input is to trade for a potential free agent- use him this year, and then get a pick for losing him.

I guess I would take exception to factoring in LaPorta into any of our outfield plans.

a) he's not even played an inning of pro ball yet

b) he's not a left fielder yet

Until a kid gets to AA, it's not even worth thinking about depth chart issues.

But yeah, I agree with most of your other tradeables (minus Gillespie, who's still to far away to worry about)

Gillespie is going to be a starting corner OF for the Brewers by 2009, I would bank on that. Brevard is really supressing his offense, and once he goes to AA I think he will take off.

He's much more than a nugget, he's a prospect.

I said it before and I'll say it again. Chris Capuano would be the ideal trade chip at the deadline. Unfortunately, he's hurting his stock by lounging around the friendly confines of the hot tub.

Only way Cappy goes if he gets packaged up with some kind of young talent to get this team a SP that is lights out.

Cappy is struggling but that is no reason to think the Brewers will move him. Who would replace him in the rotation if you move him for something other than another SP?? Yo has not shown anything and they way Bailey and Lincecum have looked we cannot think he will be any better.

Gillespie is going to be a starting corner OF for the Brewers by 2009, I would bank on that. Brevard is really supressing his offense, and once he goes to AA I think he will take off.

I would not back on that Hart looks like he might have RF covered already and LaPorta should be ready sometime around 09 to take over LF. Unless Gillespie shows some more like you are saying he will be on another team or the #4 OFer for the Crew.

Projecting LaPorta to take over LF in '09 is highly unlikely. Weeks has been the only player Jack Z has ever put on that sort of timetable, and LaPorta simply isn't in Weeks' class as a prospect.

Outside of acquiring an impact bat like Dunn, which is highly unlikely, the most likely place this team should look to improve is in the bullpen. Their are several teams that have good young arms in the pen or in AAA and TGJ is an attractive chip to have. Minnesota certainly might be interested.

If you're going to throw Jr. Gwynny into the mix, and ask for bullpen help, then the most likely target would be the Fathers (or father if you want to go by his pops' org.) on the West coast, though they might be reluctant to trade from a position of strength while fighting off the Dodgy Fellows and the Snakes of the Desert. Perhaps if we also traded them Zach Jack with the young heir, we could perhaps procure a Bell of Heath or, with a bit of help from CV the Elder and the lithe speedster, receive in trade a Line of Brink.

Quote:
Projecting LaPorta to take over LF in '09 is highly unlikely. Weeks has been the only player Jack Z has ever put on that sort of timetable, and LaPorta simply isn't in Weeks' class as a prospect.

Braun made it just as fast as Weeks, and while Braun was an awesome college hitter, Laporta pretty much blew his numbers out of the water. Hauser said sometime in 2009, which sounds right to me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"88.6% of all statistics are made up right there on the spot" Todd Snider

-Posted by the fan formerly known as X ellence. David Stearns has brought me back..

I have no idea why but Braun skipped my mind. You are correct to bring him up. But even Braun exceeded his original timetable by mashing at every level.

Could LaPorta make it to starting in the bigs with just ~ 2 full years of minor league ball, sure. But I hardly think it's prudent to expect that out of a first round draft pick. You're only setting yourself up for disappointment far more often then not. And considering the roller coaster that is the emotions of this board, it'd be nice if poeple tempered their expectations a bit more on someone who has yet to see a single pitch at any professional level.

LaPorta was drafted as a college senior. . Braun and Weeks were also drafted as juniors.

It's a subtle but significant difference. Very few guys worthy of drafting that high play their senior years in college but as has been documented, he suffered an injury as a junior that hurt his draft position.

Because he was a senior, I look for LaPorta to be on a very fast track. I believe his extra year in college is a reason the Brewers took him. I would not be shocked if he ended this season in Huntsville. Unless he falls on his face, he'll start 08 in Huntsville and likely end it in Nashville.

I fully believe he's the guy the Brewers want in LF in 09 after Jenkins departs. Gillespie? He's a "fall back" guy for now along with several others.

Help me out here.

- LaPorta and Gillespie are the same college class.

- LaPorta goes back as a senior because of injury and raises his stock to the # 7 pick in the 2007 draft.

- Gillespie(even though he is college player of the year) is a 3rd round pick last year (#92), and spends that same year in the minors, tears it up against high school kids in Helena for a half a year and is very average in A+ so far this year.

- Therefore it is logical to assume that Gillespie is a solid prospect for 2009 and LaPorta is questionable for 2009.

I do not understand the logic involved in reaching that conclusion. Please explain further, as I believe JohnBriggs is correct.

Quote:
If you're going to throw Jr. Gwynny into the mix, and ask for bullpen help, then the most likely target would be the Fathers (or father if you want to go by his pops' org.) on the West coast

I agree. They have a .244 team BA. There OF is struggling. There not too deep or too talented there. They could use Gwynn and Mench or Jenkins. Jenkins would make sense being a SD guy, but I'd hate to lose him.

In return we could get bullpen help. Heath Bell, Scott Linebrink, Doug Brocail.

I think the most likely deal is Gwynn for Meredith straight up. Although I think he'd like to do a two for one deal since we have too many players right now.

I am confident that a deal (regardless of the player or team) is happening in the next two weeks though to relieve the log jam.

Meredith may be asking a bit much, but I could see Heath Bell's name being bandied about. The gent that every sportswriter continues to throw out there is Scott Linebrink, though it would definitely weaken their biggest strength to lose their top set-up guy. However, with Jr. Gwynny's ticket to Nashville punched, I would think that Gabe Gross is the more likely trade candidate, or perhaps, I HOPE he is the more likely candidate.

Archived