Brewer Fanatic

Home brewing & hop growing

Getpaddled

I know we have a few people here that make there own beer and I have a few questions...

1.) Is there really that big of a difference between glass and plastic carboys/ better bottles? I found this http://www.homebrewtalk.com/wiki/index.php/Glass_Carboy_vs_Better_Bottle agree/disagree? thoughts? I can't decide on which ones to buy....

2.) I am looking for used equipment if anyone has anything for sale. I don't own a wort chiller yet.... but am looking for one that will fit in my 24inch 40qt pots.

note: I don't need links to buy them on line as I've spent a good 50 hours searching the net for the best deals.

ALSO.... I will have 14 rhizomes in the ground as soon as this snow clears and warms up a bit (2 weeks I'm hoping)

I have: Northern Brewer, Nuggets, Centennials. Sterling, Mt Hood, Cascade, Goldings, all 2 of each. I don't expect much for hops since they are first year plants, but who knows maybe ill get lucky.

I have everything all set, for the planting of these rhizomes except the soil.... I walked into Menards and found 20 different kinds of soil. Can someone recommend something for me? When it comes to soil / compost I just don't know much.

I made my first ever batch in January by myself (big mistake) and it turned out bad, because of a few things I did wrong. I learned a lot however and found it to be a good experience. We had a brew party on 3/23 and I made another batch (5.5 gallons of Dry Irish Stout) I had guidance on this batch and looks like its going to be perfect. I will find out for sure in 6 weeks.

I am a dark beer drinker so if any of you home brewers out there have a receipt I should try I plan on making another batch next weekend. Or if someone wanted to get together and brew together (on a Sunday, I work Saturdays) I wouldn't mind traveling / or having you to learn a some more. just pm me http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/smile.gif

Archived