Brewer Fanatic

Internet Options in Caledonia, WI

InsomniacInkRoss

I've been using one of these for the past 9 months or so...as long as you have a cell phone signal, it will work anywhere. Speed is not as good as a cable modem (obviously), but it would be better than any dial-up option. Probably comparable to DSL. I was able to watch the NCAA tournament games on my laptop with no problem.

Disclaimer: I've heard rumors that they limit monthly data access now (250 GB?), but I was grandfathered in on my plan.

http://www.mobile-broadband-reviews.com/image-files/sierra_597_sprint_z1.jpg

Interesting, I know there is a strong signal on my AT&T phone out there

I know I don't want to pay $60 for Satellite either

I really have no idea how far 250GB would get me? It would be the occasional large file transfer, other than that maybe just email and general surfing

I really have no idea how far 250GB would get me? It would be the occasional large file transfer, other than that maybe just email and general surfing
250GB is what Comcast is set at as well, so it's a fair amount. Most users don't get close to hitting it. I'd say you'd be fine with it - although if you watch a ton of streaming videos, including through Netflix and Hulu, or an insane amount of games through MLB.com, then you may have to keep an eye on it.

The 3G cards are pretty cool if you have coverage

Plus if you get a PCMCIA (PC Card) instead of USB you can pick up a router like this. There are some out there for ~$100.00ish too, I think kyocera makes one.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=2549209&CatId=373

250GB averages out to 8GB per day of bandwidth. There's no possible way an average user is even coming close to that kind of bandwidth.

A high quality Divx or Xvid encoded movie are typically only 700mb. Streaming video may be more or less as most content providers probably give you the option to match your bandwidth. Assuming a higher compression and slightly lower quality than your standard encoded video, you could probably watch streaming video every hour of the day and not hit your 250GB limit. Even at good quality, we're talking 8 movies a day. I have no idea what kind of connection speeds are offered via 3G networks though. I've heard some numbers, but unless you're in a heavily covered area I doubt they get anywhere close to what I've heard.

Here's the lousy thing. I personally use around 150GB / month, shortly time warner will cap me at 40GB / month and charge me overage. 40GB is cause for concern if you stream video, but 250GB is pretty hard to hit.

I live in Eagle and we were limited to dial-up our first year or so there, then switched to Sprint wireless... MUCH faster than dial-up.

I think the phone company has finally made DSL available in our area (been getting flyers about high-speed internet from them) but I haven't looked into it yet because I have been generally happy with the wireless service.

Archived