Brewer Fanatic

Gary Sheffield released (signs with Mets)

trwi7

Didn't they give him an extension after they traded for him too? Between that and Willis, the Tigers have wasted a TON of money the last couple of years.
"I wish him the best. I hope he finds peace and happiness in his life and is able to enjoy his life. I wish him the best." - Ryan Braun on Kirk Gibson 6/17/14

Maybe he could come back to Milwaukee to complete the circle. We could put him at 3B...I'd love to see Prince beat the heck out of him after he tosses one over his head into the stands.
Sheffield is done with a capital D. Tigers got greedy after 2006 and made some real boneheaded moves. Is it any surprise that a 40 year old in the post-steroid era is done?

I'd like the Brewers to re-sign him and also bring Greg Maddux out of retirement, so he can pee on Sheffield in the shower much like Gary peed on his teammates all those years ago.

Give him a contract at the minimum with performance incentives based on how many games in which he appears. Then after he's on the precipice of achieving them, play lifelong Brewers' fan Craig Counsell in his place until the culmination of the season.

Sign him to a long-term contract and then only utilize him as a defensive replacement so he never reaches the 500 home run mark. Unless he gets cast in a crappy movie like Mr. 3,000, for which this time we won't provide a filming location.

Find out from our ol buddy Bud when the next drug test is going to be held, and spike the milk in Sheff's cornflakes with beef-roids. Which by the way, we force him to eat out of a dog bowl like Tiny in House of a Thousand Corpses.

Is it any surprise that a 40 year old in the post-steroid era is done?

You mean like that obviously juiced Jamie Moyer?

Yeah... honestly, in what climate is it a surprise that a 40-y-o has to hang 'em up? Not sure what steroids have to do with this.

As an aside, I certainly wouldn't count Moyer out of possible PED use just because he doesn't throw hard.

Stearns Brewing Co.: Sustainability from farm to plate

Thank god they are still going to pay him the 14 million... Atleast he will be able to take care of his family! Seriously though, this guy set us back further than Jeffrey Hammonds or Teddy Higuera's contract by forcing his way out of town. Where would we be if he would have liked it in Milwaukee?

March 26, 1992: Traded by the Milwaukee Brewers with Geoff Kellogg (minors) to the San Diego Padres for Ricky Bones, Jose Valentin, and Matt Mieske.

Ricky Bones Tree
August 29, 1996: Sent by the Milwaukee Brewers to the New York Yankees to complete an earlier deal made on August 23, 1996. The Milwaukee Brewers sent a player to be named later, Pat Listach, and Graeme Lloyd to the New York Yankees for Bob Wickman and Gerald Williams. The Milwaukee Brewers sent Ricky Bones (August 29, 1996) to the New York Yankees to complete the trade. Pat Listach returned to original teams on October 2, 1996.

Bob Wickman Tree
July 28, 2000: Traded by the Milwaukee Brewers with Jason Bere and Steve Woodard to the Cleveland Indians for a player to be named later, Paul Rigdon, Richie Sexson, and Kane Davis. The Cleveland Indians sent Marco Scutaro (August 30, 2000) to the Milwaukee Brewers to complete the trade.

Gerald Williams Tree
December 11, 1997: Traded by the Milwaukee Brewers to the Atlanta Braves for Chad Fox.

Richie Sexson Tree - Been discussed more times than any other.

Kane Davis Tree
April 4, 2001: Traded by the Milwaukee Brewers with Juan Acevedo and Jose Flores to the Colorado Rockies for Mark Leiter, Mike DeJean, and Elvis Pena.

Mike DeJean Tree
August 27, 2003: Traded by the Milwaukee Brewers to the St. Louis Cardinals for players to be named later. The St. Louis Cardinals sent Mike Crudale (September 10, 2003) and John Novinsky (minors) (September 10, 2003) to the Milwaukee Brewers to complete the trade.

Jose Valentin Tree
January 12, 2000: Traded by the Milwaukee Brewers with Cal Eldred to the Chicago White Sox for Jaime Navarro and John Snyder.

So all in all, Sheffield's transaction chain has essentially almost continued up until perhaps the trade with the Diamondbacks when we received Johnny Estrada. So this trade alone tells you that it lead to a total chain reaction from the trade in 1992 all the way up until the mid 2000's

So to sum up my previous post:

Gary Sheffield in 1992 gave us:
1) Pitcher Ricky Bones for 4.5 years (1994 Brewers All-Star rep)
2) Jose Valentin for for 8 years (Once touted by Sal Bando as our "future" SS)
3) Matt Mieske for 5 years (His best year was 1996 when he went .278, .324, .471 with 14 home runs)
4) Bob Wickman for nearly 3 years (Our All-Star in 2000 and saved 37 games in 1999)
5) Paul Rigdon
6) Mike DeJean
7) Gerald Williams
8) Kane Davis
9) Richie Sexson
10) Marco Scutaro
11) Chad Fox
12) Mark Leiter
13) Elvis Pena
14) Mike Crudale
15) Jamie Navarro
16) John Snyder
17) Junior Spivey
18) Tomo Ohka
19) Craig Counsell
20) Lyle Overbay
21) Dave Bush
22) Gabe Gross
23) Zach Jackson
24) CC Sabathia (Jackson part of deal)
25) Josh Butler (minors)
26) Chad Moeller
27) Chris Capuano
28) Jorge de la Rosa
29) Tony Graffanino

So after 17 years, we still have players on this team affected by that one deal in 1992. After I put this list together, the Sheffield trade indirectly effected the Sabathia deal. We still have players in this transaction chain and Sheffield lead to pretty much 30 current/former Brewers.

Any stat heads want to combine the stats of all 29 of these players and compare them with Sheffield? Now that is what I would love to see.

Something tells me the Sabathia deal would have gotten done without Zach Jackson's (and Sheffield's) contributions and inclusion.
Yeah, but that was still pretty cool. Nice job jaybird. I've always thought you can't just evaluate a trade by the players initially involved. These moves are more organic.

So all in all, Sheffield's transaction chain has essentially almost continued up until perhaps the trade with the Diamondbacks when we received Johnny Estrada. So this trade alone tells you that it lead to a total chain reaction from the trade in 1992 all the way up until the mid 2000's
Albeit indirectly since he left via free agency and has since returned, Craig Counsell is still a Brewer. So is Dave Bush. It's not over yet.

Didn't they give him an extension after they traded for him too? Between that and Willis, the Tigers have wasted a TON of money the last couple of years.
Yep. Dombrowski gave Sheffield a two year contract extension when he traded for him. He's given out a lot of poor contract extensions of late. I would not be surprised if Dontrelle Willis and/or Nate Robertson are released in the future. Both are making a lot of $$$, but neither is a major league pitcher.

Archived