Brewer Fanatic

Does anyone else think this is rude?

paul253
Brewer Fanatic Contributor

I use a debit card, but I also balance my checkbook whenever I use it.

If I didn't balance my checkbook and keep exact track of where every dollar went, I would never have caught it when a restaurant waiter put his own "extra" tip on my credit card.

.I guess I just really don't understand why people have to have a balanced checkbook then. I check my balance probably once a week online. The rest of the week, you could ask me at any moment what my balance is and I could tell you within $50 easily. Are people that close to overwithdrawing that they need to be more accurate than that? I was unemployed for 5 months this winter, but it never got that bad.

And I'm sorry, it's totally irresponsible to suggest that people shouldn't balance their checkbook. For some people, it very well may be an issue of 5 dollars that could bounce their check. To counter your statement, I don't understand how someone could be comfortable "knowing within 50 dollars" what's in their checking account, and it's callous to suggest that other people are out of line if they don't take that same approach.

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't balance my checkbook, but I also work for the credit union where my account is so I have access to it at all times.

I really don't have a problem with people keeping a checkbook register and using it. In fact, I applaud people that do that; it makes my job much easier when those people say something got screwed up. If it's all documented, we can find it quickly.

But once again, there is a right way to use a checkbook register, and that right way is not balancing it while you're holding up the checkout line. Take the stuff that you bought and your receipt and go figure it out on a bench or when you get back in the car.

If I had Braun's pee in my fridge I'd tell everybody.

~Nottso

I did not mean to imply that people who need to balance their checkbooks are out of line, but I still think they should do it on their own time. I realise not everyone can take the same approach as me in terms of being roughly balancing my books in my head throughout the week and I supose it is irresponsible to ask people to do what I do. That being said, it works for me.

I just know that when I am doing anything and there is a line of people behind me, I do everything in my power to move as quickly and efficiently as possible. I also hold the door and say thank you when people do so for me, always return my cart to the corral no matter how far away or cold it is, and am the last to stand up to get on a plane...so I am not some kind of efficiency freak who is always running around...I just think it is a matter of respect to the people behind me.

Now if you will excuse me, I have to go withdraw money from the ATM right next to the Metra ticket counter to pay for my monthly pass as Metra is stuck in the dark ages and won't take any plastic.

I don't balance my checkbook, but I also work for the credit union where my account is so I have access to it at all times.

I really don't have a problem with people keeping a checkbook register and using it. In fact, I applaud people that do that; it makes my job much easier when those people say something got screwed up. If it's all documented, we can find it quickly.

But once again, there is a right way to use a checkbook register, and that right way is not balancing it while you're holding up the checkout line. Take the stuff that you bought and your receipt and go figure it out on a bench or when you get back in the car.

That I do not disagree with. You don't have to balance it while standing in the line. That's just like the people that buy scratch off lottery tickets at the gas station and stand at the counter and scratch them off. First off, you're holding up traffic (needlessly, in this case) and secondly, you're getting those sticky silver flakes all over the place.

My take for people who use checks is this. That's cool, and I understand some of the reasons presented for why people still prefer that method. After having a few issues with paying bills electronically, I no longer do it. I send checks, but that's about all I use paper checks for. The one thing that I think a person writing a check can and should do if they're waiting in a line is have the check filled out, minus the total and signature when all is said and done.

How about the person that does not possess a tollway I-Pass and has to wait until getting up to the exact change booth before even beginning to look for that exact change?
Two reasons: 1) Illinois can't be bothered to put up signs inforrming us of how much the toll is until 3 feet before the tollbooth, and 2) its dangerous to dig through your change while driving.

Schlitz001 wrote:

When choosing a checkout line try to get in a line with a young to middle aged male cashiers, they talk the least and scan the fastest. Middle aged women also scan quickly, but often like to chit chat about the weather.

Without over-indulging in gender stereotypes, I would have to agree. At our grocery store, the female cashiers can be just painfully slow. There are a couple who seem determined to lovingly fondle every item for a few seconds before scanning it. And the all-female cashier-and-bagger combo can be a real killer, too. (Major socializing.)

Yeah, why keep track of your purchases by hand if your bank already does it for you? It just seems like a huge waste of time to me, unless there is some other reason for it I'm missing.

I keep track at home so I can enter it in my spreadsheet, track my cash flow and plan for future savings/expenditures.

Most banks have an option to download transactions as a CSV or Quicken/MS Money file, might be worth checking into.

I don't think the check card is our friend at all. In fact, the check (debit) card and it's sister, the credit card, play a huge role in what happened to our economy. They have made people feel comfortable spending without the immediate consequences.
How would a check card have this effect? You have to have money in your account before you can use it.

and one more edit...

Are people that close to overwithdrawing that they need to be more accurate than that? I was unemployed for 5 months this winter, but it never got that bad.

That's not necessarily the problem. It's that banks do sometimes make mistakes. Last year I made a $180 dollar deposit and at some point the one got dropped, making it $80 instead. Fortunately, I check everyday and caught it, but if you were checking once a week or just once on a monthly statement, that could cause some issues.

This is a case where balancing your checkbook instead of checking online periodically would cause problems, right? If you relied on what you wrote down, you would probably assume that there was no bank error not in your favor, assume that you have an extra $100 in your account, and eventually overdraw.

More or less, it bugs me when people keep the same data in two different databases. Unless you're constantly syncing the two, you're going to run into problems. If you don't absolutely need it in two separate places, it should be avoided.

This is a case where balancing your checkbook instead of checking online periodically would cause problems, right? If you relied on what you wrote down, you would probably assume that there was no bank error not in your favor, assume that you have an extra $100 in your account, and eventually overdraw.

If you re-read the context of my post, I think we're making a similar argument. I think people should take advantage of on-line banking and such, but the poster I quoted didn't see the need in checking it too often.

How would a check card have this effect? You have to have money in your account before you can use it.
My debit card has an option to use it as a credit card. You hit cancel instead of entering your PIN and it withdraws the money from your account at the end of the month instead of right now.

More or less, it bugs me when people keep the same data in two different databases. Unless you're constantly syncing the two, you're going to run into problems. If you don't absolutely need it in two separate places, it should be avoided.

If you only went by the online bank statement and had a lot of transactions or a memory that wasn't very good, you would, in this case, get screwed out of the $100. Therefore, I would argue that it is necessary to have this data in 2 different places - so you have your own register as well as what the bank has recorded. Especially for something as important as money. At the same time, I agree that a check register should not necessarily be filled out right at the checkout line where it will hold everyone up. If you're worried you'll forget, either sit down at a bench and do it or do it right when you get in the car.

More or less, it bugs me when people keep the same data in two different databases. Unless you're constantly syncing the two, you're going to run into problems. If you don't absolutely need it in two separate places, it should be avoided

Again, if I didn't keep a register, I never would have noticed when a waiter put his own little "bonus" on my debit card payment at a restaurant. I get my statement by mail at the end of every month, and I noticed a 5 dollar discrepancy. I know I keep track of every nickel and dime, so I investigated, and found the issue.

I also found an issue with an item my wife purchased online, which she was double charged for. 7 dollars.

If all I did was let my bank keep track, and keep a running tab in my head of what I "should" have, I probably never notice those 2 items. Are 5 dollars and 7 dollars a big deal? On their own, not really. But the first one was blatant credit card fraud, and the second one I was just lucky that it was a 7 dollar item and not a 700 dollar one.

I also made a mistake in my register. Due to unfortunate circumstances at work some months ago, I was late receiving, not one, but 2 checks. (I was being paid by paper check at that time). By the time work found the error and corrected it, a third pay day had come around, so I waited to take all 3 checks to the bank. I didn't enter them in my register right away, and only put 2 of them in when I did get around to it. So I thought I was short a substantial amount, until I investigated.

And lastly, last year a person's direct deposit state return was accidentally deposited into my account. I was delighted when I checked my balance at an ATM one day, but realized there had to be a mistake, and rather than spend money I knew someone would be looking for and want back, I investigated with the bank, and found the error.

We make mistakes. Banks make mistakes. It's nothing but good policy to cross the T's, dot the I's, and double check all the numbers. My financial security means enough to me that I'm willing to take the 45 seconds to enter an item in my register and balance it.

I'm going to say again, I think it's irresponsible money handling to just let the bank do it. They do make mistakes. Double checking all the numbers is never a bad thing.

So, I'm at Cost Cutters last night and a father is there with his son, who is getting a hair cut. While the son is getting his hair cut, the father writes out a check. The clerk/hair cutter notices this and points out that as of yesterday Cost Cutter's no longer accepts personal checks. It turns out he had just enough cash on him to pay for the hair cut. He starts talking to me as he waits for his son's hair cut to finish.."Well, I guess we won't be coming here again." I came so close to asking him why he didn't have a check card, or at least an emergency credit card. I just smiled and thought to my self "It's really your fault for not being prepared for this situation".

Then, he gets on the phone with his wife and explains the situation and I hear him talk about how he's going to have to go to the bank and cash a check, so that he can replenish his cash supply. This is reason #36 why you should have a check card. So, every time you need cash you have to go cash a check at the bank?! Some people must really not value their free time.

User in-game thread post in 1st inning of 3rd game of the 2022 season: "This team stinks"

My debit card has an option to use it as a credit card. You hit cancel instead of entering your PIN and it withdraws the money from your account at the end of the month instead of right now.
That's weird. I always use mine as a credit card (my bank charges fees if I use it as a debit card more too often), and it always withdraws within a couple of days, usually the same day. Either way, you still have to have the money in your account or it will get declined.

Archived