Brewer Fanatic

Is any big trade really worth it?

I have started to ponder if it is not just as well to call up Yo and/or Parra (as a LOOGY) and totally forgo the trade deadline rush of supplementing the roster.

Wouldn't we be just as well to call those guys up and give them a shot before the end of July to see if they can handle it, and maybe giving CHart all the AB's he can stomach, rather than trading away resources.

If we were to trade for a CJ Wilson then TEX would rightfully want talent in return and since CJ is in his pre-arby years it might be costly...why not let the kids go now rather than fighting everyone else at the deadline.

What type of bench help could we really score for Mench, Capellan, and a PTBNL? Anything relevent? If we could possibly acquire Crawford or Ichiro then sure...lets do it, but I say let that mess work itself out over the offseason...

just my two cents

I agree that nothing good should be dealt away for bench help. The Brewers should concentrate on getting an obvous upgrade, as getting a guy like David Bell will not help them this year. The team could possibly get a good bat without giving up a ton, the Yankees got Abreu last year for not much because they were willing to take on salary. It remains to be seen whether the Brewers really are willing as well.

For me, I'd prefer to keep Capellan, his velocity is up to 95. I think he could be a useful reliever and will remain cheap for a several years. The guys I would offer around are Graffy, Mench, Jenkins, Spurling, Dessens, Sarfate and Aquino.

They will probably trade some minor prospects (one of the many low level OF's) for a LH reliever. They may also look to trade some blocked prospects for some veterans as well. I don't think you'll see anything of value traded for a 30/60 game rental, however.

I also wouldn't be surprised if they got a lefty (either to complement or replace Shouse). The question is whether it will be another guy like Shouse (ie, a guy who sucks, like JC Romero, who just got DFA'd by the Red Sox) or whether it will be a guy who is pretty good but maybe is signed to too big of a contract.

Pat Neshek and Jason Kubel for Mench and Jeremy Jeffress? The Twins were interested in Mench, supposedly, last year, and Kubel and Neshek are very good, young players who would add value to this team, though at the cost of last year's first round draft pick. I understand that Jeffress could become a dominating closer or even, if he ever develops a good feel for a breaking pitch, a pseudo-ace. But lookign at Neshek's numbers makes me drool, and Kubel is just now coming into his own and would profile to be a good corner outfielder in the next few years to team with Corey, Billy, and Tony.

Neshek is absolutely filthy. There's no way the Twins would trade a guy that good and that cheap. The guy has an ERA of 1.78 and 87 K's in 65 2/3 IP (ERA+ of 248 ) over his career so far.

He's effective against any handedness.

Quote:
They will probably trade some minor prospects (one of the many low level OF's) for a LH reliever. They may also look to trade some blocked prospects for some veterans as well. I don't think you'll see anything of value traded for a 30/60 game rental, however.

I was thinking pretty similar. I wouldn't say anything of Value though. I would more along the lines say anything they might use. As an example Jorge De La Rosa. I am glad he is doing well. It bodes well for the Brewers in future trades.

As for items we might not use in the future. I would throw Manny Parra, Zach Jackson, Maybe Angel Salome or Captain Lou's name out there. I would also throw any of our A or A+ outfielders names out there.

Go after some players becoming Free Agents and see what is needed to get them.

With that said. I don't think Graffy has much value. Same with Mench. They are probably more valuable to us than they are to any other team. So I wouldn't go trading them just yet. Maybe we will get lucky and Mench learns how to take a walk like he used to and can get some value before the deadline. Until then I would say hold onto the low value guys. Hopefully Cappellan, Mench, Aquino, Spurling, and others build up some value before the deadline and we can get some quality players for them.

Sure but shouldn't we call up some kids to see how they do during a month long audition BEFORE the trading deadline comes into play?

Parra and Yo now...let CHart leadoff and get as many ABs as possible...

Maybe the Brewers should convert Zach Jackson into a reliever now for the remainder of the AAA season, and see how he does in that role. He might turn out to be a useful lefty reliever for the Brewers in the very near future.

Quote:
They will probably trade some minor prospects (one of the many low level OF's) for a LH reliever.

You are not going to get a LH reliever for a "low level" OF. LH relievers maybe the most difficult and most overvalued players in baseball.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Wow....Parra has lefthanders batting less than .100 against him...I'd rather use him in the bullpen right now for six years...than trade him for someone less effective for a few months.

Trades aren't all about talent, they're about finances too. When you take on an extra $3M over what the guy is objectively worth, you don't need to give up top-flight prospects, you just have to be willing to take the full salary. There will almost definitely be a chance to get quality players without touching our top five prospects, but it'll require a loosening of the pocketbook.

harry dalton made some huge trades that lead to the 1982 season.

in december of 81 he acquired pete vuckovich, ted simmons,and rollie fingers for sixto, david green,sorenson,and lapointe.

august trade deadline 1982 ,dalton deals kevin bass and frank dipino for don sutton.

those two examples got the brewers to the 82 world series

I have a hard time thinking of cj wilson and pat neshek being the target of a "big trade". Cheap relatively young relievers which their teams would probably prefer to keep, but otherwise not inspiring that much value.

A big trade is Dunn or Griffey or Ichiro or Abreu...

If the bullpen is doing well and we are on our way to the playoffs, then maybe see if something is there. It's never a bad thing to have too many good relievers. But if it's not, then oh well. If we are struggling in the pen, then obviously we make more of a push. My first choice to go would be Mench because if you take him out we don't really miss much. I am NOT in favor of trading Jenkins. What would our outfield be without Jenkins and his 12 homeruns? Hall, Hart, and ? If you are insisting that we make Mench the every day left fielder you would be nuts. In a nice way of course. Jenkins is more useful in so many ways. Fielding, Arm, Leadership, Hits against righties which there are more of than lefties that Mench would thrive on, Fan support.

Let's leave it at Jenkins, Hall, Hart in the outfield.

Hart

Hardy

Braun

Fielder

Hall

Jenkins

Estrada

Weeks... is one heck of a lineup, and the only way it will get better is with experience, not trading away starters. It's already pretty good, and with the exception of Jenkins and Estrada, it is going to get even better as the individual players reach their peaks. The only way i would like to see a trade that affects our starting lineup is if it saves us money and puts a high contact/low strikeout guy there to teach the rest of the team a thing or two.

Once TGJR comes back up later in the season, we'll have our pinch runner and defensive sub. We need to step back and let this team grow for a while before weeding out anyone. Jenkins and Estrada may seem old but compared to some of the players that are still effective these days it is nothing.

Let all trades start and end with the pitching, relief pitching at that.

Archived