Brewer Fanatic

The "Parks And Recreation" Thread

BrewCrewForever
  • Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the pacing of last night's episode was a bit frenetic, but it's always good to see another Perd Hapley sighting. A crucial point to this year's revival is further taking Leslie away from Michael Scott territory of intrepid incompetency that they seemed to paint her with in season 1. With that in mind, last night's b-plot of everyone frantically trying to do her work as she wades through the "scandal that wasn't" was a nice touch. Andy's gift ideas for April's gay boyfriend were awesomely stereotypical.

In other news, GQ has named Parks & Recreation their "Sitcom of the Year".

Also noteworthy is that ?uestlove of the Roots deems Parks & Rec to be the Wu Tang of comedy. Aziz Ansari (Tom) wraps it up here.

All of Andy's ideas for April's gay boyfriend were hilarious. And it was great how specific he was about what Reggie Wayne jersey he wanted.

I really want to get season 1 on DVD, but it never goes on sale. And it's like $25 for a 6 episode season. A bit steep for me.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

• 1 month later...
Yeah I was pumped when I heard the news, found out from Ken Tremendous (Michael Schur) himself on Twitter. Can't wait for season 2 to come out on DVD, I broke down and did buy season 1 since I got a $50 American Express card from my work for Christmas. $25 well spent. New episode this week, looking forward to it.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

Well, now, I said "mildly surprised." http://forum.brewerfan.net/images/smilies/wink.gif

I loved the doofus questions from the public at that hearing. They reminded me of questions that people ask at the library.

Remember: the Brewers never panic like you do.

• 3 weeks later...

"I want to open up my own club one day, maybe call it something like

Club a Dub Dub, or the Club Marine. Sort of a submarine-themed club. Or

Tom’s Bistro. The word bistro is classy as (BEEP)."

If you are a big Parks and Rec fan you will enjoy this great fan site.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

The fact that Community gets 400K more viewers than P&R just baffles me. Community's last episode was outstanding and probably their best, but they've never been able to consistently hit the highs of Parks & Rec, and I personally find their setting and group dynamic to be a bit too cliched. (BTW, why would a disbarred lawyer go enroll in a community college?) Anyone turning switching the channel or turning off their TV after Abed & Troy's credit skits is doing themselves a disservice. Especially if they're coming back a half hour later for The Office.

I think the worst thing going for Parks & Rec is their "from the creators of The Office" stigma. If people hadn't been force-fed The Office as a measuring stick for P&R's first season, maybe the show would be better off. Of course there is a lot indebted to The Office, but right now, Parks & Rec is just doing what The Office does so much better. They should be comparing them now...

In other Parks & Rec news, Rob Lowe is reportedly joining the cast for the last 2 episodes of season 2 and an extended run into season 3.

I read somewhere that Adam Scott (from Step Brothers) is joining the cast. He's an excellent comedic actor, but I'm not sure if I'd mess with success.

JeanRalphio "wooing" Donna was one of the funniest things I've ever seen. That's a brilliant part-time character. I'm wondering if Michael Schur was the brainchild behind all the great recurring characters on the office, because since he's left, they funny ones have left with him, and now P&R is pumping out all these really good ones.

As for Community beating P&R in the ratings, I'm guessing it has to do with the big names that drew people in from the start (Chevy Chase and Joel Mchale). Also, its had a great premier season. That's really rare. I'm expecting big things next year.

I must be the only one I know not overly impressed with Community. It's had some good episodes, but there have been a lot more that haven't made me laugh once. This past one was cringe-worthy for me. Really? They're going to strip down naked to play pool?

Parks and Rec is the best thing going on TV (tied with Modern Family).

"That doesn't sound like the attitude of an award winner."

"Everything I do is the attitude of an award winner, because I won an award."

I must be the only one I know not overly impressed with Community. It's had some good episodes, but there have been a lot more that haven't made me laugh once. This past one was cringe-worthy for me. Really? They're going to strip down naked to play pool?

Parks and Rec is the best thing going on TV (tied with Modern Family).

I think we may be at opposite ends of the TV spectrum; Modern Family does nothing for me, but I love Community. The pool game storyline was the "lose pretty" / "win ugly" dichotomy, playing off the ridiculousness of the school gym uniform.

Besides, if you only see the main storyline on Community, you're missing the point. It's not about what's going on, so much as how the cast reacts to it. It's Abed trying to think of a version of himself that would strike up a conversation with a potential love interest....and coming up with Vampire Abed. Or him 'practicing' his skills by hitting on Annie, and channelling Don Draper in the process (since Alison Brie, the actress who plays Annie, is also a regular on Mad Men). Or the Dean taking a picture for 'evidence'.

Community is just a really well done, ensemble comedy.

The problem with P-Rec's second season is the first season. It took so long moving away from what it was trying to be and getting to what it is, that I think it lost a lot of its potential audience.

I am not a Community or Modern Family fan. I have heard good things about both and seen some episodes but I just never got into either of them. I have been a fan of The Office since season 2 and I was on board with Parks and Rec right away. I mean, I did start this thread.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

The problem with P-Rec's second season is the first season.  It took so long moving away from what it was trying to be and getting to what it is, that I think it lost a lot of its potential audience.
  That's a good point.  The first short season was pretty weak, but it's really blossomed this year, much like the Office did. 

Archived