Brewer Fanatic

The "Parks And Recreation" Thread

BrewCrewForever
  • Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This last episode was perfect. Just Ron-tastic. Going from Parks & Rec @ 7:30 to The Office @ 8:00 has been a letdown more often than not this year and it's not just because the Office has been a little off its game.

Tonight's achievement was epic: they made Megan Mullally funny. Simply amazing.

"I'm a simple man. I like pretty, dark-haired women and breakfast food. But this stock photo I bought at a framing store isn't real. Today I got the real thing. A naked Tammy made me breakfast this morning. I should have taken a picture of it."

--- Ron Swanson

Wow, this show is really good. I just got done watching last nights episode, and it was really funny. The diner scene was awesome. The fist thing Ron says to Tammy: "Wow, you've aged terribly."

I'm gonna try to watch all the episodes I missed (which is most of them) before the next episode. NBC's Thursday lineup is amazing. Parks & Rec and Community better get re-upped.

Edit: And to be fair to Megan Mullaly, I think anyone would have a hard time being "funny" on Will & Grace (only show I've seen her in before). One of the worst popular shows of all-time. Basically a show for straight people to laugh at corny jokes, and stereotype gays as outrageous and flamboyant.

• 2 weeks later...

Another winner last night. I thought they did a good job exploring and utilizing all the characters, even if in a not-so-believable plot line. Donna firing off her shotgun just for the hell of it just slayed me as much as it terrified Jerry (and good for him not being solely utlized as the brunt of jokes for the week). As with their earlier successes, the show has been best when going away from a Leslie-centric storyline, but Amy Poehler is really starting to win me over. Yesterday had some of the best scenes with her outside of her interaction with Louis CK in prior episodes.

They really need to air this after The Office so I don't need to temper my expectations for the 8pm showing.

• 2 weeks later...

at the Glitter Palace, a strip club:

"Come here, beautiful!"

--Ron Swanson, said not to a stripper, but the breakfast buffet.

AWESOME! I must have busted my gut with that scene. And then when he's protecting his food from the glitter bomb.

This show keeps getting better and better. I'm glad that I stayed on past the dull first season.

- - - - - - - - -

P.I.T.C.H. LEAGUE CHAMPION 1989, 1996, 1999, 2000, 2006, 2007, 2011 (finally won another one)

I am starting to love this show almost as much as The Office. I have been watching since the pilot and it just seems to be getting better and better all the time. Pretty much anything with Ron is gold. His line about Wendy being his ideal spooning size was great.

Formerly BrewCrewIn2004

@IgnitorKid

This show has come a long way from Amy Poehler acting like the female Michael Scott. It became much funnier when the focus shifted away from her and started playing to the strengths of Tom, Ron, Andy, etc. Playing pool for the "rights" to Ann was pretty funny, and Andy's "I know that legally, Ann is mine... but it doesn't really seem that way." line was great. Plus I have a new avatar now!
Gruber Lawffices

My wife and I were just commenting on how much this show has improved from the first season by integrating the other cast members beyond Amy Poehler. I liked the shots where the back of Ron's head was visible and the hair was just starting to grow back. They never mentioned the incident but that subtle reminder was there, very Arrested Development like working in a joke that way. Ron and Andy are starting to become favorites of miine.

The Office may have "jumped the shark" this season with making Jim co manager. It just seems they are trying to hard to play up the Jim and Pam story now if they start showing their life outside of work which I fear is the next step it will just make it another lame romantic comedy couples comedy.

The Office may have "jumped the shark" this season with making Jim co manager. It just seems they are trying to hard to play up the Jim and Pam story now if they start showing their life outside of work which I fear is the next step it will just make it another lame romantic comedy couples comedy.

I think The Office "jumped the shark" last season during the Super Bowl episode. The cold opening had Dwight starting a fire and lighting off firecrackers, supposedly to test the employees' exit strategy. I thought the episode was really funny, but I can't take the show seriously anymore since then. It's not even remotely realistic.

I thought the MSPC run of episodes was among the best The Office has done, but they've been seriously outclassed this year. Even if Parks & Rec reverts to back to the Amy Poehler Show of season 1, they've made so much positive ground and goodwill in my eyes that there's no way season 6 of the Office can catch up.

Yeah, it seems like The Office is getting pretty predictable. The template is a) Michael is involved in some plot so unrealistic it isn't even funny anymore; b) Jim continues to destroy the appeal of his character prior to having higher aspirations (going back to when he interviewed for Jan's job) when he's much more funny as the care-free office prankster; c) Jim is accused of playing favorites with Pam; and d) Dwight tries to get Jim fired each and every week. It's as predictable as an episode of "Bewitched." Andy is probably the best part of the show right now, and the underuse of Stanley (his "has it been ten years already?" when the Scott's Tot's story was revealed was great) and the overuse of Ryan (I've never found him funny) are problems. What's the backstory on B.J. Novak (Ryan)? I know he's the executive producer, but less of him is more.
Gruber Lawffices

Archived